Deus Ex 3

Rosbjerg

McDonald's has more power than the government.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Nobody knows yet. They could simply be disabled if you're offline. Or have defaults. Or use the most recently cached ones (which could also be defaults).

Or be always online.

I think this is really going to depend how well the adverts blend into the background or just how glaringly obvious they are...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Jonathan-Jacques-Belletete.jpg

More designers should base game protagonists on themselves.

Imagine how cool DA2 would be if Hawke looked like David Gaider or Mike Laidlaw.

I'm thankful that he didn't, though I have to admit that I couldn't shake the feeling that I was living out Gaider's homoerotic fantasies during DA-O, it was a post of his about writing romance that did it, how he wanted big powerful arms pushing him against a wall...or something.

I think this is really going to depend how well the adverts blend into the background or just how glaringly obvious they are...

I'd have to agree with this. I'd say it's a problem only if it is "in your face".

And to be quite honest, I don't see the big issue here. So there are some dumb**** adverts around, does the gameplay suffer if one see "Coca Cola" on a bulletinboard? It's not a thing to elaborate and enjoy, but I see no harm if it doesn't feel forcefed and if it can be ignored as background fluff.

Imagine how cool DA2 would be if Hawke looked like David Gaider or Mike Laidlaw.

I vote for Chris Priestly on this one, whether or not he even did anything for DA2.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

And to be quite honest, I don't see the big issue here. So there are some dumb**** adverts around, does the gameplay suffer if one see "Coca Cola" on a bulletinboard? It's not a thing to elaborate and enjoy, but I see no harm if it doesn't feel forcefed and if it can be ignored as background fluff.

I can handle a simple "Coca Cola" or golden arches here and there, odds are those plague bearers are going to stay with humanity for a long time, it's the idea of localised current day adverts being mindlessly rammed into the gameworld that irks me.

Unless it's Mr. Popper's Penguins X. Because that movie is going to be a gigantic success and kickstart the next great franchise.

I'm thankful that he didn't, though I have to admit that I couldn't shake the feeling that I was living out Gaider's homoerotic fantasies during DA-O, it was a post of his about writing romance that did it, how he wanted big powerful arms pushing him against a wall...or something.

Yeah, the gay thing Gaider's got going there is just disturbing.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

picture

More designers should base game protagonists on themselves.

Well dmc is getting that treatment.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Splinter Cell: Conviction had in-game advertising, though the only place I can remember seeing them was the Washington Monument fair. A bunch of posters around the place that all had the same ad for a movie coming out here, either at the cinema or on DVD. The ads would change, but it was only ever for movies.

Saint's Row 2 had some billboards which also featured ads for films, though I managed two full playthroughs of that game before ever noticing them.

Both of those games no longer seem to show the ads when playing them now, instead showing the default textures.

Seems kinda silly to me to incorporate present day ads into a game set several decades into the future.

Why are we assuming that they are going to be idiots about it?

Oh hang on, this is the Internet, we always leap to the conclusion that people are idiots, without giving them the benefit of the doubt or even spending a second to think about the possible causes.

And yes, I admit, that mini-rant is only partially related to this topic.

Now, if they incorporate stupid, clashing ads into their gameworld after spending an exceptional amount of energy on the visual style of their game, they are ****tards. I haven't seen any signs of them being ****tards, so for the moment, I'm going to assume that the ads stylistically match the game.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've heard about the ingame advert stuff already months ago, why is this news now?

The internet artificial panic brigade only woke up now?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Plus.. I would say that the key news and example is from the pre-launch build that was shown to reporters about 4 months ago and they were still tightening up some of the elements... Who is to say that the adverts as shown in that are the exact way it'll be handled when the games released?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."