FO: NV (DLCS) Discussion

At least he responded to my tweet:

@BenduHead no. it needs more DLC like SB and Overlord. i'm looking forward to lonesome road

Haven't played Shadow Broker yet, so I can't comment.

I bet Lonesome Road will be as linear as Dead Money. What we know about it so far really doesn't sound like open world.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

honest hearts was awesome, maybe not quite as good as shadow broker though.

still, both pale in comparison to RDR: Undead Nightmare.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think some of the stuff in the Villa could've been cut down in Dead Money. On the other hand, I think Operation Overlord could've basically cut away everything except for the very final sequence (which was indeed cool). The Shadow Broker was probably the most overrated DLC I've ever played (not that I've played that many, but...).

Dead Money demanded rather a lot of the player I think, which can make it tough to go through. But I found it to be very rewarding and the only DLC I've played that made me actually feel like I've been through something rather extraordinary. I liked Honest Hearts but it didn't feel as significant.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Seems like Blood Money has influence of Avellone and Honest Heart has that of Sawyer. And the former is mostly criticized due to its game-play while the latter is done for its weak story. So, why did they stop work together, unlike the core project? Didn't Feargus once say story for Avellone and game-play for Sawyer? ;)

? They didn't work together on the core game. John Gonzalez was the Creative Lead/Lead Writer there.

They worked together on Aliens: Crucible. One game we'll never see.

Edited by C2B

I noticed we're getting back the voiceless lady in the new DLC. Or at least she's shown in some trailers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What was so good about the Shadow Broker?

Getting back again with Liara after sleeping with Jacob.

The fight with that other Spectre chick was neat, although the plot-forced-stupidity of initially trusting her was annoying. (The Shadow Broker fight was... unique, but less fun.) The SB's dossiers on other characters were an entertaining read. The conversation with Liara on the Normandy (for a non-romancer) was very well done-- a rare expression of actual vulnerability from Shepard that FemShep voiced beautifully. (The quiet, sad "Come back soon" to the empty room just after Liara walked out was unexpected and awesome.)

That said, I quite liked Dead Money. The companions were all great fun and I really dug the backstory, especially in how well paced its reveal was and in how well it tied in to core Fallout themes of sunny optimism and gee-whiz tech, smacked in the face with the grim reality of human betrayal, but with some actual notes of redemption at the end. It was as good a "Fallout Short Story" as anything I've seen outside of the main FO1 plot and FNV's Vault 11. The gameplay had its flaws (horror elements generally just get me stressed and annoyed), but I enjoyed the ample opportunities for the player to feel clever (I loved using rooflines to get around things, picking the right companions for the different situations, and finding and taking out the hologram generators).

What was so good about the Shadow Broker?

Getting back again with Liara after sleeping with Jacob.

The fight with that other Spectre chick was neat, although the plot-forced-stupidity of initially trusting her was annoying.

I didn't like that fight with the Spectre. She was supposedy badly wounded and had lost so much blood... yet still turned out as Supergirl.

She was also the worst Vanguard in the galaxy. If she had bothered to charge into Shepard's face like any self-respecting Vanguard, she would have won the fight immediately, especially with her double layer of armour and barrier.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Seems like Blood Money has influence of Avellone and Honest Heart has that of Sawyer. And the former is mostly criticized due to its game-play while the latter is done for its weak story. So, why did they stop work together, unlike the core project? Didn't Feargus once say story for Avellone and game-play for Sawyer? :lol:

? They didn't work together on the core game. John Gonzalez was the Creative Lead/Lead Writer there.

They worked together on Aliens: Crucible. One game we'll never see.

Thanks but I'm quite sure Avellone played a certain role in New Vegas even if he is not titled as a lead creative.

OK. I'll tell what I thought. When I read what people saying Honest Hearts, my old thought, in which I suspect the reputation of NPCs designed by Sawyer may have some relation with the fact that he doesn't read many fictions, came to me. For it's not first time for me to see people claiming that they have difficulty in finding roles of Sawyer's NPCs in the story of their own characters although they are not peculiarly wrong and they have their roles in the given settings. On the other hand, it's Avellone's signature trick to let the players build their own stories through his NPCs, most of which is not built in the game system since its power relies greatly on the talent of letters (Avellone told, in an old interview, that he put Morte so that he works as Falstaff, which can be one example of his constant thinking dramatic effects).

I'll probably buying it when all the DLC is out, which should be good time for me to go back to the Mojave desert, though.

Since no one else has mentioned it (I think), Jason Bergman and some others (in multiple posts in response to ppl in the thread) mentioned a few of the things the next patch will address:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topi...-jason-bergman/

He mentions fixing a last/rare instance that causes EDE to disappear and a new means to re-add EDE if he's gone, a fix for Arcade becoming non-rehirable, total of over 100 fixes, more stability/performance, etc. Sounds good at least!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a replay of Honest Hearts. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around, I think this was partially due to the fact that I took my time this time around. First playthrough I kinda rushed through it.

One thing I don't like (that I imagine many people who enjoyed F3 a lot, and NV maybe not as much) is that there are a lot more enemies around. A bit too much fighting for my taste, though I think it does make some sense for the DLC and its tone. I do like the overall difficulty of Honest Hearts though, think they did a pretty good job balancing easier and tougher mobs. Fighting the tribals is pretty fun IMO and they can be deadly if you're not careful.

The first time around I think the writing was a bit sparse but again, I enjoyed that part a lot more this time around. Expectations and all that maybe.

Also, the Survivalist entries are really golden. One of my favorite "journal stories" of all time I'd say.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

His final resting place was the first one I found, because one of that Fallout 3 bears attacked me out of that direction and I couldn't stand it to remain alive.

That Vault 22 stuff was really great and unexpected. When I've read that the survivalist wanted to save his folks the other day and then he writes that they have been eaten...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just finished a replay of Honest Hearts. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around, I think this was partially due to the fact that I took my time this time around. First playthrough I kinda rushed through it.

Ditto here. I think I was playing at too high a level, and was only interested in the NPCs. At low level simply survival exploring is enough of a challenge.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Does anyone here know how to change the face of an in-game NPC using the GECK?

I'd like to change Cass' face into Reilly from Fallout 3.

More to the point, how do I capture my character's facial data? I finally got a PC who doesn't look like the arse of a worried molerat and I want to be able to duplicate it.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/56091292...BA0B19B7910CC9/

-Elwood Blues

It appears nobody knows, and I'd rather not ask on the Bethsoft forums.

You have to play with these:

http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/med...geckface-01.jpg

Good luck. I tried altering Cass's face once (Boone too). Even w/the more advanced controls in the GECK (vs. in-game chr screen) it's tough to get what you want. I probably just didn't know how to "use" the settings tho..

P.S. If you try, every time you make significant change I'd save the mod file and copy the file elsewhere, in case you mess up and want to restore without having to start alllllll over again

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts