Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Mel Brooks was the master of the spoof, Blazing Saddles is really the crown jewel of the genre. But his weren't a bunch of inside jokes about other films, they were spoofs of specific genres. I thought the Wayans brothers did a decent job with the spoof genre for awhile, but Date Movie was atrocious and I've only caught brief unfunny glimpses of the other ones on that list.

edit: Now that I think about it, are the Mel Brooks films really spoofs, or are they called something else?

Edited by Hurlshot

edit: Now that I think about it, are the Mel Brooks films really spoofs, or are they called something else?

I think spoof would apply, altho some might prefer to call them satirical farces/parodies, perhaps.

I'd also disagree that Blazing Saddles didn't parody known films. High Noon was a big one, where they even recreated the church scene, among other films & references. Even the famous 'we don't need no stinkin badges' line is a reference to Sierra Madre I think. It's just that Blazing Saddles wasn't parodying only one film, and did have more generalistic parody as well as the specific, and the way the parody was done made it still resonate to those who hadn't seen specific films being referenced.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Mel Brooks was the master of the spoof, Blazing Saddles is really the crown jewel of the genre. But his weren't a bunch of inside jokes about other films, they were spoofs of specific genres. I thought the Wayans brothers did a decent job with the spoof genre for awhile, but Date Movie was atrocious and I've only caught brief unfunny glimpses of the other ones on that list.

You just named 2 of my favorite parody movie writers

"The sheriff is a nig..(bell chime)"

"He said the sheriff is near"

"No goddammit I said the sheriff its a nig..(bell chime)"

That bit still gets to me.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The Wayans were only involved with the first two Scary Movie spoofs. The rest were done Friedberg and Seltzer, who co-wrote the first Scary Movie. They even advertised one of the movies back in the day as being by "a couple of guys who helped write Scary Movie."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Friedbe...d_Aaron_Seltzer

It's slightly worth noting that Friedberg and Seltzer had no involvement in Superhero Movie. As a result, it's almost watchable.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The last spoof movie I really enjoyed was Hot Shots 2. After that everything was almost painful to watch.

Scary Movie 3 has some nice bits, though. David Zucker directed it, and George Carlin and Charlie Sheen were in it. Some of the scenes spoofing Signs were funny.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Hm, Well Hot Fuzz has to be up there... Although again, it's not completely a spoof movie.. Just.. taking the buddy cop movie into a completely different context. :thumbsup:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Re-watched Wong Kar Wai's Fallen Angels.

Not an easy film, with long sequences with no talking. But just such a brilliantly observed and acted film.

Also, quite a lot of weird music, and shootouts.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112913/

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The last spoof movie I really enjoyed was Hot Shots 2. After that everything was almost painful to watch.

Scary Movie 3 has some nice bits, though. David Zucker directed it, and George Carlin and Charlie Sheen were in it. Some of the scenes spoofing Signs were funny.

Dude. Austin Powers?

I was thinking more of movies in the Airplane! lineage.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dude. Austin Powers?

"The details of my life are quite in consequential"

Best soliloquoy ever.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hm, Well Hot Fuzz has to be up there... Although again, it's not completely a spoof movie.. Just.. taking the buddy cop movie into a completely different context. :thumbsup:

I dunno, I'd say both Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead both qualify as spoofs. It doesn't have to be bad & stupid to be a spoof, ffs! :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I would definitely label Shaun of the Dead as a spoof, but Hot Fuzz just seems too legitimate to me. It really doesn't turn completely silly until the end fight. But hey, who cares, they are both great flicks.

Hot Fuzz is more of a homage to the buddy cop move. The comedy aspect comes from taking the "american style" action cop and putting it in an English "local village" setting.

Just with more of that self-awareness making it even more tongue-in-cheek. :thumbsup:

People need to watch 'Black Sheep'. Best movie to come out of New Zealand since 'Bad Taste' and 'Braindead' :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Chris Farley was pretty funny for his day, but I hardly see what it has to do with spoofs.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I stopped watching Black Sheep part-way through but was there ever any humour in it? It did the gore very well but I remember thinking it was blatantly misadvertized by the trailer.

Predictably, iirc you must have stopped before it got silly/funny.

-Elwood Blues

Isn't that from the guys who did Epic Movie?

No idea.

*Looks at his original post*

Cleeek zeee Liiiinnnkkkk!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Chris Farley was pretty funny for his day, but I hardly see what it has to do with spoofs.

I may be missing some sarcasm or joke, but just in case: the Black Sheep being discussed is not the Chris Farley movie but a low budget horror parody from New Zealand dealing with genetically engineered, murderous sheep.

Note: No one asks me to review movies, as I usually likely almost everything ... well except the Highlanders movies (they just ruined the franchise after the 1st one). So with that caveat in mind, just watched Karate Kid reboot and thought it was great. That's all for now ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Note: No one asks me to review movies, as I usually likely almost everything ... well except the Highlanders movies (they just ruined the franchise after the 1st one). So with that caveat in mind, just watched Karate Kid reboot and thought it was great. That's all for now ...

Highlander. There should have been only one.

Well.. unless you count the tv series, which turned out pretty darn good once they figured out what they were doing...