Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Best Brazilian movie I've ever seen. Not that there have been that many.

I can't think of that many I've seen either, but "City of God" sort of stood out in the crowd of movies seen the last decade.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Saw Tropa de Elite 2 yesterday. It's a Brazilian movie about the deaths squads and gang land in Rio. You get the professor, quoting Focault versus the SWAT or BOPE commander, who eventually are forced to work together. Best Brazilian movie I've ever seen. Not that there have been that many.

Sounds interesting. You've sold me on seeing it, anyway.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Saw Captain America not too long ago. I liked it much better than other recent superhero movies. The main character portrayed Rogers pretty well, and Bucky was pretty convincing as well. Battle scenes and special effects were nothing special.

Only thing I didn't like was the "lol evil" attitude of Red Skull. Maybe that's how he was in the Silver Age, I don't know, but I expected him to be a criminal mastermind and meticulous planner like Dr Doom, like he is in the modern comics. Instead he came off like a superhuman version of Heinrich Himmler.

I'm looking forward to the Avengers movie now.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Breaking Bad is my favorite show on television, but I'm having a hard time watching it this season. The first two episodes didn't really hook me, and I have had problems watching any since.

I'm not complaining, since its some of the best written work on the boob tube, but since Walt has been in remission the series just doesn't seem the same for me.

I had the same issue but trust me it gets insanely better around episode 4 and 6 is the defining moment of the season (it was so awesome). It was a little bit of a build up waiting for the characters to develop around their current situation but its playing on the tension in between Walter and Gus, I can't wait for the confrontation. ;)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, I watched about eight or nine episodes back to back yesterday, and I'm really glad I did. Jesses' development has been pretty interesting so far, and Walts' duality has never been more impressive. I particularly liked his 'I'm the guy who knocks on the front door' speech to Skyler, and then his breakdown in front of junior was either a touching story, or a complete load of **** to keep perpetuating his web of lies.

Either way, everyone on this show is either screwed or ****ed, which makes for some pretty damn interesting television.

If Gus makes it through, I hope his first action is to smoke Ticos' grandfather in the nursing home.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Yeah, I watched about eight or nine episodes back to back yesterday, and I'm really glad I did. Jesses' development has been pretty interesting so far, and Walts' duality has never been more impressive. I particularly liked his 'I'm the guy who knocks on the front door' speech to Skyler, and then his breakdown in front of junior was either a touching story, or a complete load of **** to keep perpetuating his web of lies.

That's the most awesome moment yet.

Either way, everyone on this show is either screwed or ****ed, which makes for some pretty damn interesting television.

If Gus makes it through, I hope his first action is to smoke Ticos' grandfather in the nursing home.

You know I'm really hoping that they go head to head, because the characters are similar in many aspects, I specially like the flashback in "Hermanos" and how he was the "Jesse" in the equation.

plus burning an expensive car is sort of a wish of mine

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Saw Tropa de Elite 2 yesterday. It's a Brazilian movie about the deaths squads and gang land in Rio. You get the professor, quoting Focault versus the SWAT or BOPE commander, who eventually are forced to work together. Best Brazilian movie I've ever seen. Not that there have been that many.

I've only seen the first one, and it was amazing. Is the second movie better than the first?

Just watched it and it's already my MOTY.

Saw Blitz today, nothing otherworldly. It's kind of a meh film, not bad but not all that either although I have to say that I love Crime films set in England and Statham plays the bad cop part to a T.

village_idiot.gif

Saw Blitz today, nothing otherworldly. It's kind of a meh film, not bad but not all that either although I have to say that I love Crime films set in England and Statham plays the bad cop part to a T.

That's on my blu-ray purchase list. Not had the opportunity to watch a lot of movies lately, but don't think I've missed out on a lot. Looks like there's a bunch of interesting BD releases in the next few weeks, probably need to stock up a bit.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The Village Barbershop (2008). The actor who played Cliff in Cheers stars in it. A deliberately slow paced chr. study type movie, with dry humor and sweet notes. I liked it a good deal more than I thought I would. Very nice.

Also finally watched 1st season of The Walking Dead, all at once. Not bad for zombies. Might watch the upcoming 2nd season.

The BBC series Survivors wasn't bad either - similar theme, but no zombies. More like The Stand minus the good/evil magic mojo perhaps.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Best of the series.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hm, thought I'd catch the "Charlie Sheen Roast" on tv out of curiousity.

I thought there'd be some actual wit in the roasting of.. but the majority of it seems to be fairly crude insults said with a smile. .. And then the celebrity audience laughs. There have been a few smart and funny lines..but.. Ah well. Maybe it's just an american thing.

Although it makes me wonder that if they find this funny, why did they so get stressed out at the Oscar's with the snarky general purpose roasting by Ricky Jervais... Which was actually fairly smart.

Or is it part of the non-translation between England and America? :lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Some reason I watched Hair. Yeah...wow. At least the ending made me laugh, sort of a Outer Limits 'haw haw' ending.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Although it makes me wonder that if they find this funny, why did they so get stressed out at the Oscar's with the snarky general purpose roasting by Ricky Jervais... Which was actually fairly smart.

Or is it part of the non-translation between England and America? :lol:

The difference is that the people who attend these roasts are comedians and B rated celebrities with a sense of humor and a connect to reality. The people at the Oscars are the snotty Hollywood elite.

village_idiot.gif

Breaking Bad ended with a bang. That was awesome. And the very very last shot

of the potted plant in Walt's backyard showed that in the end, Walt & Gus weren't really that far apart. End justifies the immoral means.

...I read an interview with the series creator who pretty much confirmed that aspect/interpretation, too. Evil. :)

Since they're geared for one final season next summer...I wonder...hm. I'm thinking Jessie & Walt will have a reckoning and of course Mike's going to come back from Mexico with a really really big axe to grind. heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hm, thought I'd catch the "Charlie Sheen Roast" on tv out of curiousity.

I thought there'd be some actual wit in the roasting of.. but the majority of it seems to be fairly crude insults said with a smile. .. And then the celebrity audience laughs. There have been a few smart and funny lines..but.. Ah well. Maybe it's just an american thing.

Or is it part of the non-translation between England and America? ;)

Mostly the roasts are written not to poke fun at the "Roastee" but more for the 2nd rate comedians who fill out the panel to A) Get random celebs to say things they normally wouldn't and B) insult their peers with as little tact as possible. Probably the best example of this was the one for David Hasselhoff where they tried to make Pam Anderson actually do comedy.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Does it finally show Tony in the armor? Or are we still getting teased around that?

Edit: And the answer is "yes."

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"Man in a suit. Take that armor away and what are you, huh?"

"Um.. a genius billionare playboy philanthropist.." :x

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Breaking Bad ended with a bang. That was awesome. And the very very last shot

of the potted plant in Walt's backyard showed that in the end, Walt & Gus weren't really that far apart. End justifies the immoral means.

...I read an interview with the series creator who pretty much confirmed that aspect/interpretation, too. Evil. :)

Since they're geared for one final season next summer...I wonder...hm. I'm thinking Jessie & Walt will have a reckoning and of course Mike's going to come back from Mexico with a really really big axe to grind. heh.

I watched the finale just a little while ago. That last shot of Gus...oh man.

I can see Mike pitting Walt and Jesse against each other. Either that, or Mike and Jesse combine to make Walts' life more difficult.

I'm glad the show is wrapping up next season, somewhat. I think there's only so many stories to tell from the way the series has played out. They even had just about a filler episode this year.

I think the last scene of season five will be Walt dying, but that's kind of a no-brainer. I can't see a happy ending for him after all the **** he's done.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

The Avengers official trailer is out.

Is it wrong that my first thought was "Hold on. You mean all I have to do to get beaten senseless by Scarlett Johansson is threaten the survival of the planet? I'm bloody in!"

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.