Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

The Avengers official trailer is out.

Is it wrong that my first thought was "Hold on. You mean all I have to do to get beaten senseless by Scarlett Johansson is threaten the survival of the planet? I'm bloody in!"

And how she likes to beat people senseless! I swear, I saw that same move in Iron Man 2. It would be worth it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The Three Musketeers.

They might have hashed the story up, and given some quite.... fantastical... elements in it, but they've caught the heart of a good swashbuckler. Throw in some nice action sequences and decent acting, it's actually quite entertaining.

A few smart lines interspersed in there and Orlando Bloom is really smarmily villainous as Buckingham. Milla Jovovich makes a very acrobatic/ninja style version of Milady rather then the purely seductive route. Athos, Porthos, and Aramis actually seem to click together quite well, although something does look very odd about D'Artagnan's hair (but that's just being a wee bit nitpicky). Mads Mikkelson does a brooding Rochefort, but doesn't really get fleshed out.

I still find it amusing that Christopher Lee caused a trend in eyepatches for Rochefort. The eyepatch was never used till he added it back in the 70's version, and pretty much every version since then has had Rochefort wearing one...

And of course, they've added a small sequence at the end that practically promises a sequel.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Throw in some nice action sequences and decent acting, it's actually quite entertaining

I've heard from several friends who saw it that the acting was down right horrible... ? but that the tongue-in-cheek humour saved it.

Fortune favors the bald.

Throw in some nice action sequences and decent acting, it's actually quite entertaining

I've heard from several friends who saw it that the acting was down right horrible... ? but that the tongue-in-cheek humour saved it.

It's kind of obvious that no-ones taking themselves seriously in it. As long as you approach it in that manner.. and understand that they're doing a pseudo-partial-steampunk version rather then sticking to exactly what was in the book.. (Not that any film version has truly stuck to the book, but some have been closer then others)

It's pretty much full of some decent actors just having a laugh rather then being serious.

If you look at the actors in it, none of them are actually bad actors : Mathew Macfadyen, Luke Evans, Roy Stevenson, Mads Mikkelson, Christoph Waltz...

The whole film has that, slightly campy, over-acted, non-serious attitude. So yeah, its not something thats got depth of acting.

It's kind of obvious that no-ones taking themselves seriously in it. As long as you approach it in that manner.. and understand that they're doing a pseudo-partial-steampunk version rather then sticking to exactly what was in the book.. (Not that any film version has truly stuck to the book, but some have been closer then others)

It's pretty much full of some decent actors just having a laugh rather then being serious.

If you look at the actors in it, none of them are actually bad actors : Mathew Macfadyen, Luke Evans, Roy Stevenson, Mads Mikkelson, Christoph Waltz...

The whole film has that, slightly campy, over-acted, non-serious attitude. So yeah, its not something thats got depth of acting.

Is it as much over the top idiotic fun as this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108333/

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm glad the show is wrapping up next season, somewhat. I think there's only so many stories to tell from the way the series has played out.

Completely agree. I mean, they could fabricate more plots up, but there's a point where escalation would be just too much/comically silly. It's over the top to begin with (in a good way)...but it could easily become over the top in the bad way.

Horrible Bosses - one of those that I meant to see in the theater, but like often happens nowadays, never got around to it. Fun movie. Not quite as "darkly comic" as I was hoping for, but still pretty funny in most places.

Can't wait for season 2 of Walking Dead tomorrow night.

Until then...about to watch Drive Angry, because Nick Cage in over-acting ham mode always makes me laugh. Plus I hear William Fichtner is awesome in it. I didn't realize Cage had IRS/bankruptcy issues...I guess that at least partly explains his grab-the-cash bad movie choices lately. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Drive Angry about as bad as expected, but that Fichtner was funny.

Which is better, Thor or Green Lantern? Can't decide which to watch now. hehe

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Drive Angry about as bad as expected, but that Fichtner was funny.

Which is better, Thor or Green Lantern? Can't decide which to watch now. hehe

I liked Green Lantern better, but I crush on Ryan Reynolds pretty hard.

I thought Thor was the weakest of the Avenger films, actually. I guess Hulk would be under it, but I don't know if those two count.

Thor has that slightly camp, almost theatre quality to it. It's big , bright, glossy. The visuals of Asgard are pretty amazing. Natalie Portman looks fairly cute, they sneak in an appearance of Hawkeye in it, and it sets a chunk of the stage storywise for the Avengers movie.

Captain America feels much more like an Indiana Jones adventure then a superhero blockbuster.. and also picks up a few elements from the Thor story.

On the DC side of things...

Green Lantern was entertaining, and has some strong background performances (Mark Strong as Sinestro is rather quite good). Reynolds doesn't do a bad job, but they don't really do that much impressive with the power of the ring once he gets going. It did give the feeling that it was a film more about the setup of who he is, how he got the ring, and prepping everything for what a second film would do.

Went for Thor...much more entertaining than I expected. Not one I'd probably watch a 2nd time, but for a first watch rather fun. At least the guy playing Loki was pretty ham-a-licious.

I like Ryan Reynolds too, but the previews for GL, with that weird plastic-shiny GL suit and all the XMen-like CGI makeup made me go "eww." But I did read it had a nice "who is he/background" sequence so I may watch it next weekend.

Megamind

Great movie. I have a Blockbuster "Combo Pass" and decided I need to use it or cancel it, so I'll be going through a few movies this week. Hopefully. Next up will be the third Narnia movie.

Also have my eyes on Green Lantern. And Outlander, but Blockbuster doesn't seem to have that movie.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Stardust was on tv again tonight. Tis a good film, well worth the watching. It never gets old.

And Michelle Pfieffer still shows how she can be worthy of rawr-dom.

And De Niro steals scenes. Not to forget his dancing the can-can.

Also have my eyes on Green Lantern. And Outlander, but Blockbuster doesn't seem to have that movie.

I liked Outlander. Definitely b-grade and cliched, but still entertaining.

Stardust was on tv again tonight. It never gets old.

Stardust reminds me of the Fifth Element, as in if its on the tube, you can't help but watching.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Trollhunter

A Norwegian found footage documentary where three college students following a professional hunter of trolls find actual trolls. Pretty damn good.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Trollhunter

A Norwegian found footage documentary where three college students following a professional hunter of trolls find actual trolls. Pretty damn good.

i loved the Polish guys with the bear :lol:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Not strictly a movie, but I rewatched some of "Kings". That was a damn good show, and really annoying that they never followed on from the first season.

A modern day, alternate-reality drama about a hero who rises to become the King of his nation, based on the biblical story of King David.

Which sounds a little weird, but it worked really damn well.

Had Ian Mcshane as King Silas, Brian Cox as imprisoned King Abaddon, and a slew of recognisably good actors supporting it all : Wes Studi, Susannah Thomspon, Dylan Baker, Eamonn Walker, and a rather brilliant showing from Christopher Egan as David. (Also a rather surprising turn up of Macauley Culkin in a few of the later episodes)

The production values seemed fairly sumptuous, and the dialogue managed to mix that feel of biblical speech, grand shakespeare presence but all wrapped up in modern patterns. The performances ring true and they really manage to show that whole play of people in power, how it corrupts, what sacrifices they'll make, and just what happens when "good" people are introduced to that mix.

i loved the Polish guys with the bear :(

Mmmm... Polish beer.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Saw THE THING, a prequel to THE THING (which was a remake of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD).

There's a part of me that hopes if the movie does well enough for sequels they call them all THE THING.

Anyhow about the movie, its not as paranoid/suspenseful as the Carpenter film. Actually even though its set in the Carpenter versions world, it does owe a lot to the "base under siege" feel of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD. While there is some identity/paranoia issues in the story, most of the story is a clear "monster loose, how do we stop it" combined with a "How did the Norwegian Camp get like we saw in Carpenter's move" approach.

Its not as good as either of its predecessors IMO but fun enough on its own terms.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man