Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

We've been watching episodes of "Arrested Development" lately at work during lunch breaks. Never heard about it before, but outstanding fun. It's been a long time since I laughed at a comedy for the right reasons. Might just have to grab the series on DVD off Amazon or similar place (especially since I was away all last week and missed two handfuls of episodes) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I love tin tin.

That trailer...nope. But good to know it's in 3d cause that will surely make it better.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Pirates. Worth the price of admission, but not the 3d. It was relatively obvious that 3d was only for a few specific scenes near the end.

Also there was just to many plot lines they tried to tie together. And used one group (the spanish) for a total of five seconds at the start and end of the film.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Also saw Pirates and wasn't impressed at all. Definitely the worst one so far.

If you can't even like Jack Sparrow, you know there's something really wrong. I thought it would be a nice change not to have Will and Elizabeth, but as it turns out their good nature was actually necessary for Sparrow to be the unpredictable pirate, rather than the moral hero of the story.

And it's not just Sparrow. None of the characters were particularly interesting to be honest. No funny sidekicks to be seen, and even Ian McShane didn't manage to make Blackbeard a menacing villain. The best character was the monkey, and considering what little screentime it gets, that says a lot.

Pirates of the Caribbean: To Damn Long by an Hour

Meh. Remotely entertaining. What was the point of the religous guy? He could have not been in the movie at all and it wouldnt have made a difference. Cant help but feel some part of his plot didnt make it in the movie.

The friends I saw the movie with think that they're setting up captain bible and his fishy lover as replacements for Will and Keira Knightly.

The King's Speech

What was the fuss about? Seriously?

The best actor in it was (Aussie) Guy Pierce who played Edward VIII exactly as I'd imagined him.

Tim Spall as Winston Churchill? Puh-leeze.

sonsofgygax.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning to see X-men: First Class today. I'm intensely skeptical, but reviews are looking good. Ebert rated it poorly, but for this movie he seemed to be just complaining about the costumes.

I'd love to hear from anyone who sees it before 5/6 Central.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Me big comic book nerd, me thinks they raped canon = movie sucks.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Did deadpool ruin Origins for you too? (On top of everything else)

Did deadpool ruin Origins for you too? (On top of everything else)

yesssssssssssss :ermm: the name didn't even made sense on the movie and how old is Remy anyways?

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm back. Best X-Men movie so far. Significantly so. That may not mean much given your perspective. I feel the movie was helped strongly by focusing on the Xavier/Magneto relationship, pulling another villain out of the mythos, and not being hijacked by Wolverine. The downside is that it is clearly chained to the corpse that is the old series. But hopefully they can get at least one more prequel out of it to further establish the Xavier/Magneto and finally give me Apocalypse on the big screen.

I'm back. Best X-Men movie so far. Significantly so. That may not mean much given your perspective. I feel the movie was helped strongly by focusing on the Xavier/Magneto relationship, pulling another villain out of the mythos, and not being hijacked by Wolverine. The downside is that it is clearly chained to the corpse that is the old series. But hopefully they can get at least one more prequel out of it to further establish the Xavier/Magneto and finally give me Apocalypse on the big screen.

I did like seeing Kevin Bacon, he obviously had a LOT of fun with the part.

Yes I just saw it, and Tale's right. Although, if they really wanted to they could ignore the previous movies with this and make this the first in new franchise (like what they've done with the previous Hulk movies) . It is nice that they gave a few little shout outs to the future (a rather hilarious Wolverine one, and a snapshot of Storm), but they didn't tie themselves TO tightly to it (Unlike Origins "Reverse aged to an egg face" Patrick Stewart)

As a fan of the comics some of the things bugged me, which makes me put it below X2 in the rankings, but its definitely a great movie. With time to steep and reflect on it, it might be my favorite X flick. I think cutting all ties to the other 4 would have served the film very well, but then we wouldn't have got that awesome Hugh Jackman cameo.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

As a fan of the comics some of the things bugged me, which makes me put it below X2 in the rankings, but its definitely a great movie. With time to steep and reflect on it, it might be my favorite X flick. I think cutting all ties to the other 4 would have served the film very well, but then we wouldn't have got that awesome Hugh Jackman cameo.

It seems like they're cutting ties anyway, they just might have Jackman stay as Wolvie. After all, neither Magneto or Xavier are old enough to be anywhere near what they looked like when they went to visit jean grey the first time. Also Cerebro is built differently.

Saw Caprica (the tv series) in its entirety. Much better than I thought it would be.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hangover II

Pretty hilarious although a small step behind the first. Also like the first, the very end features them looking at the pictures taken from the previous nights festivities and thats one of the best parts of the movie.

Now a slight niggle regarding Green Lantern. The previews show him creating complex machines (like a minigun) but I was always under the impression that GL could only form basic machines (no moving parts) and shapes.

I deserve to be punched for even asking this, but isn't a machine defined by having moving parts? Otherwise it's just an object?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hangover II

Pretty hilarious although a small step behind the first. Also like the first, the very end features them looking at the pictures taken from the previous nights festivities and thats one of the best parts of the movie.

Now a slight niggle regarding Green Lantern. The previews show him creating complex machines (like a minigun) but I was always under the impression that GL could only form basic machines (no moving parts) and shapes.

I think you may be confusing Green Lantern for the T-1000. I don't know much about the Green Lantern, but I do know that was the T-1000s limitation.

Hangover II

Construct.jpg

Nope.

It depends on the individual. From what I remember, Hal and Guy tend to use simpler constructs, while Jon and Kyle use more complex ones due to their backgrounds. (Jon was an architect, Kyle an artist)

It seems like they're cutting ties anyway, they just might have Jackman stay as Wolvie. After all, neither Magneto or Xavier are old enough to be anywhere near what they looked like when they went to visit jean grey the first time. Also Cerebro is built differently.

Cerebro was also destroyed by the whirlwind guy so it has to be rebuilt. Also, they met Jean in the late 70s early 80s, so theres still time for them to age. They've said it is a prequel rather than a reboot. I think a reboot would have been a better choice.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think you may be confusing Green Lantern for the T-1000. I don't know much about the Green Lantern, but I do know that was the T-1000s limitation.

:lol: ... that was my exact 1st thought.

And yeah, I seem to recall it depending on incarnation. There were some GL's that seemed, at least insofar as when I was reading them, to never produce complex thingies using the ring. Unless you count forcefields as complex. I always wanted that ring. :lol:

*comes back from wiki reading*

Wait, they got rid of the yellow weakness? That's kind of lame, even w/the retro-explanation of why it doesn't always work for some. So the only weakness now is that it runs out of energy/has to be recharged & you can't be a mental weenie (for the yellow)? Or what?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It depends on the individual. From what I remember, Hal and Guy tend to use simpler constructs, while Jon and Kyle use more complex ones due to their backgrounds. (Jon was an architect, Kyle an artist)

Cerebro was also destroyed by the whirlwind guy so it has to be rebuilt. Also, they met Jean in the late 70s early 80s, so theres still time for them to age. They've said it is a prequel rather than a reboot. I think a reboot would have been a better choice.

Except that they're enemies already. So unless they happen to say "One man date today to get this one mutant!" there's an issue there.

:lol: ... that was my exact 1st thought.

And yeah, I seem to recall it depending on incarnation. There were some GL's that seemed, at least insofar as when I was reading them, to never produce complex thingies using the ring. Unless you count forcefields as complex. I always wanted that ring. :(

*comes back from wiki reading*

Wait, they got rid of the yellow weakness? That's kind of lame, even w/the retro-explanation of why it doesn't always work for some. So the only weakness now is that it runs out of energy/has to be recharged & you can't be a mental weenie (for the yellow)? Or what?

Basically the rings have become entirely emotional, Yellow=fear, red=rage, orange is greed, blue is hope... I forget what indigo is and black is death.

Each ring can work on almost anything if the person has the will to do it.

Also, the guardians of the galaxy are complete ****.