The Witcher 2

tunnels > swamps

r00fles!

Tunnels are just sewers without the swampy bits. Like cheeseburgers without cheese :w00t:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

While there was a lot of potential for grindy combat, most of that was optional: sure you could wander through the swamp hacking up drowned dead and bloedzuigers, but a great deal of that was completely unneccesary to follow the main quest or even most of the side quests.

Grinding in the swamp was good to gain money and alchemical ingredients though. Drowners and bloedzuigers drop useful ingredients, and the former also drops a rather expensive ingredient that was good to make some money quickly. I regularly wandered into the swamp for hunting for those.

While there was a lot of potential for grindy combat, most of that was optional: sure you could wander through the swamp hacking up drowned dead and bloedzuigers, but a great deal of that was completely unneccesary to follow the main quest or even most of the side quests.

The Witcher was much more a dialogue-focused rpg than is common these days.

Also, killing monsters gets you little xp compared to the quests so there is no real need to grind. You actually only need to kill monsters when there's a specific reason to do so, most of the time and during the day they can be avoided.

You could go around cleaning out mobs for ingredients and cash but seeing as TW doesn't have a real loot system or anything to spend the money on, you really don't have to.

If you ask me it made perfect sense, and I never grew tired of the combat because it was so quick.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

The game doesn't even feature all that much combat.

I'm replaying and lost count of how many barghests I had to kill in the first chapter alone. At least in this game it makes sense for them to spawn out of thin air.

Next up, there's the swamps... and its legions of drowners and bloedzuigers. Luckily the combat is pretty fast-paced or it would become tedious very quickly.

I've no idea what you're talking about. By day there's almost nothing in that entire map. I don;t think I ever had more than 20 barghest teeth all in all. By the standerds of most RPG's that's a joke, for several hours of gameplay.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

The game doesn't even feature all that much combat.

I'm replaying and lost count of how many barghests I had to kill in the first chapter alone. At least in this game it makes sense for them to spawn out of thin air.

Next up, there's the swamps... and its legions of drowners and bloedzuigers. Luckily the combat is pretty fast-paced or it would become tedious very quickly.

I've no idea what you're talking about. By day there's almost nothing in that entire map. I don;t think I ever had more than 20 barghest teeth all in all. By the standerds of most RPG's that's a joke, for several hours of gameplay.

5 quests (3 among them part of main quest) will require Geralt to cross the entire map at night, during which barghests pop up everywhere.

The only advantage of this is that the skulls net a nice sum with the witch. I sold at least 50 skulls.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's also easy to economize your criss-crossing of maps if you have played the game before and know which quests require you to go where. When you're doing it for the first time and just figuring all that stuff out, though, you're going to end up making a lot more trips through monster-spawn territory.

It was passable once you realise that you can jog away leisurely from just about any monster with no real trouble. They give up pretty easily. Not that running long distance across bleak murky terrain is much better - ends up being similar to most WoW zones actually.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

So Polygamia.pl got a hands-on for the game and blogged about their experience.

Google Translate

The article has a bunch of screenshots (low-res, unfortunately) and I've picked out the more interesting ones (medium quality):

z9394662O.jpg

z9396318O.jpg

z9396058O.jpg

z9396065O.jpg

z9394775O.jpg

z9396355O.jpg

z9396365O.jpg

z9396391O.jpg

And two short videos:

and

Thoughts:

-Awesome menu, awesome music.

-Playing TW2 on a laptop? Sacrilege.

-Really liking the skill trees. I know there's Alchemy, Magic and Swordsman. What's the fourth one?

-Conversation skills! Wonder why DA2 didn't have them. :ermm:

Wasn't poor inventory the main criticism from pre-patched Witcher 1? Stands to reason that they'd want it as slick as possible.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The inventory and upgrade screens look like they are REALLY pushing the x360 controller option. Which IMO still brings up the question exactly how much do they have the consoles in mind with this supposedly "PC flag bearing" release?

The guys did look a bit high, but I wouldn't exactly call them REALLY bad. Maybe... pedestrian?

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Wasn't poor inventory the main criticism from pre-patched Witcher 1? Stands to reason that they'd want it as slick as possible.

I was trying to say it has a sort of cold and clinical look, like something you'd see in a hi tech shooter, with none of the rustic, "ancient" designs that were so long part of pseudo medieval RPG's. That and the unnecessarily minimalist UI, both irritate me.

I don't know why everyone is pushing for this sort of design, as I find it jarring and out of place in a fantasy game.

*In fact the thin letters coupled with the orange background tones scream Half Life.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

I like the loading screen. Not a big fan of that inventory style though, while neat that you finally get pockets.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The inventory and upgrade screens look like they are REALLY pushing the x360 controller option. Which IMO still brings up the question exactly how much do they have the consoles in mind with this supposedly "PC flag bearing" release?

I recall an article where the devs said that the interface was

It isn't though, console versions to follow in a couple of months, no ? Hm, or they had said it was possible.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They would like to have a console version out at some point but nothing has been confirmed, so for now it remains a PC exclusive. Perhaps they simply don't want to say anything definite given the cancellation of the console port of the original.

They would like to have a console version out at some point but nothing has been confirmed, so for now it remains a PC exclusive. Perhaps they simply don't want to say anything definite given the cancellation of the console port of the original.

Or it's a psychological experiment to confirm that there will be virtually no complaints of consolization if they are announced a week after the pc release and released a month later. :lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

If they do I just hope the don't crumble under the inevitable "the console version plays awkward" cries afterward and make the next Witcher console friendly.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif