RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

my first crpg was fallout in 1997 (at which time it became my favorite game and spawned my love of the crpg). I see that M&M 6 came out in 1998, the same year as baldurs gate, so it cant be THAT archaic right?

I only played jrpg's until fallout, so I haven't played any crpg's released before 1997. which in part, inspired my initial question.

M&M 6 harkens back to a different style of crpg altogther than Fallout and BG. I'm not positing one as better than the other, but it's a very different aproach to the concept of a crpg.

If you're interested I might recommend Wizardry 8 also as a starting point, although it has problems that you might find offputting as well.

Still if you can get M&M 6 and WIz 8 cheap, you've got nothing to lose by trying them. Those would definitely be the two entries I would pick from both franchises to try out.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

All this long waiting, all the hype, all the boobs and cool proverbs, and then it turns out to be a bad and outdated game.

FOr a game that's been in development this long, one needs to cut it some slack. A ths point there's no way it can be cutting edge, unless the current developers want to start the development cyclwe all over again.

But just because a game, especially an FPS, isn't cutting edge, doesn't mean it can't be fun. Painkiller comes to mind.

Also, DUke 3d was pretty non-cutting edge compared to Quake 2 but still held its own for fun gameplay.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

All this long waiting, all the hype, all the boobs and cool proverbs, and then it turns out to be a bad and outdated game.

FOr a game that's been in development this long, one needs to cut it some slack. A ths point there's no way it can be cutting edge, unless the current developers want to start the development cyclwe all over again.

But just because a game, especially an FPS, isn't cutting edge, doesn't mean it can't be fun. Painkiller comes to mind.

Also, DUke 3d was pretty non-cutting edge compared to Quake 2 but still held its own for fun gameplay.

Define "cutting-edge". I don't mind the graphics, I still play the 7 year old HL2 and think it looks better than most modern shooters nowadays, but with outdated I mean the design. Shooters have to evolve, and Duke seems to embrace all this retro 90s style and vibe, and I don't like it. If the level design isn't smart, if the AI isn't challenging, if the weapons design reminds me of an old id shooter, then yes, I'm worried. I know the game theme doesn't take itself serious, but I hope at least the designers take the game serious. Just take Bulletstorm as an example, it encompasses everything that can go wrong in a shooter. Hope I'm wrong and DNF turns out to be a kick-ass experience though.

Edited by Morgoth

Define "cutting-edge". I don't mind the graphics, I still play the 7 year old HL2 and think it looks better than most modern shooters nowadays, but with outdated I mean the design. Shooters have to evolve, and Duke seems to embrace all this retro 90s style and vibe, and I don't like it. If the level design isn't smart, if the AI isn't challenging, if the weapons design reminds me of an old id shooter, then yes, I'm worried. I know the game theme doesn't take itself serious, but I hope at least the designers take the game serious. Just take Bulletstorm as an example, it encompasses everything that can go wrong in a shooter. Hope I'm wrong and DNF turns out to be a kick-ass experience though.

This raises an interesting question, why do FPSs have to evolve and yet RPGs should stay the same?

(I'm actually not being snarky here, it's a genuine question since it's something I think I see quite a lot)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

This raises an interesting question, why do FPSs have to evolve and yet RPGs should stay the same?

(I'm actually not being snarky here, it's a genuine question since it's something I think I see quite a lot)

I presume it's because FPS are maintaining the same core experience while shifting the design whereas RPGs aren't evolving so much as just changing the core gameplay replacing it with that of other genres almost completely. It wouldn't be so aggravating if there was still space for evolving and improving the mechanics that made pure RPGs.. pure RPGs. Also, you can sometimes dislike a change because, *badum-tish*, you think it's a bad change.

Also, and I conclude, you hardly see people on this board being enthusiastic about the evolution of the FPS genre with the exception of a couple of user.

I only watched one long Duke gameplay trailer, which was I think just before the original incarnation died, and while it's definitely not cutting-edge, I thought it looked fantastic and unique, because (1) it was clearly an old school FPS, but (2) they were throwing ina whole lot of things and adding all sorts of crazy things in a way not many old school FPSes could do.

Who cares if it doesn't have a cover system (which is pretty **** most of the time anyway) when they've taken an old school fun formula and added in driving crap out of high windows and whatnot?

Geohot settles with Sony

The terms are of course confidential but it seems that hackers donating to the defense fund were hoping for a different outcome.

EDIT:Seems the terms didn't stay secret for long. Most seem to be generic "you shall not hack anything Sony ever again" agreements. No sign of a big paycheck conspiracy theorists were imagining.

Edited by pmp10

multiplayer in DA2? I hope this means they are making a whole new game from the ground up with multiplayer in mind, or they mean multiplayer like the kind found in BG 1+2. otherwise i hope its a late april fools joke.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Ubi CEO wants another gen of consoles and says that (basically) they're holding back ideas for their games for the new consoles.

Not gonna lie, guy strikes me as a jerk. I'm sorry but there is a LOT you can still do fairly easily with the current-gen systems.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

ahh yes, one more news story about the impending next gen. exactly as i predicted a few weeks ago. new xbox getting announced at E3 2012, release date in 2013. mark your calenders!

:(

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

ahh yes, one more news story about the impending next gen. exactly as i predicted a few weeks ago. new xbox getting announced at E3 2012, release date in 2013. mark your calenders!

:(

If that were true Yves wouldn't be complaining.

You are wrong. R00fles!

But seriously, why design a cheap computer with the goal of having it last for ten years? I mean 10 years is like 70 years in dog years.. and 700 years in computer years!

Five years would be bad enough..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

that game looks like it could be fun. or it could turn out like lost planet (ie a kinda messy and short action game)

Where can you see Demon's souls in that? Certainly not in any combat moves ....

:lol: I just see it. The Hydra looks like something that could be in Demon's Souls and the overall design seems to be inspired by it. Also: the archer feeding the hydra with arrows.

Where can you see Demon's souls in that? Certainly not in any combat moves ....

:shrugz: I just see it. The Hydra looks like something that could be in Demon's Souls and the overall design seems to be inspired by it. Also: the archer feeding the hydra with arrows.

That or you tapped into the collective unconscious and grabbed the concept for the game from playing Demon's Souls. Like they probably did.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

i agree it looks like demons souls. if its anywhere near as good as that game then we have a winner

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours