Deus Ex 3

NA release is actually august 23rd,

the special edition of the game comes with a bunch of in game items (surprise)

any drm news yet?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

NA release is actually august 23rd,

the special edition of the game comes with a bunch of in game items (surprise)

any drm news yet?

I've heard a Steam rumor, but nothing else.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Sheesh. I'm glad that they've announced a date now..but.. hm, since when is August "early 2011"?

I mean, they originally said it was going to be march..but then they wanted to shift it to "next financial year" for money/perception reasons.. and that they could leave the time just "polishing and debugging" for a longer time..

Heh.

They've made a play about "choice and consequences" for the game..and the planned release dates gets shifted, they don't say when it will be out for a month or two..and then say it'll be out in another 5 months. And all the hype and marketing they were doing will have lost momentum by then since it was all times on the early new year..

Gee, I could almost get an Alpha Protocol deja vu feeling from this.

What are the odds when it comes out people will play it expecting one sort of game and not realise what its meant to be? :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Steam is confirmed.

Morons. Wish I could pay for the game and not use Steam, without the help of pirates. Oh wait, that used to be possible until they became even more money-grubby >.<

Steam is confirmed.

Morons. Wish I could pay for the game and not use Steam, without the help of pirates. Oh wait, that used to be possible until they became even more money-grubby >.<

Come on, tell us how you really feel.

i miss simple disc check.

i personally dont mind steam, but can see how its a deal breaker for some, and really the disc check is fine, it keeps joe simple tardo from just installing his game and then loaning the disc off to someone else to install, but it doesnt bother the majority of customers.

and those it does bother can just buy on steam so they dont have a disc check.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Choice is bad. Compulsion is good. People hate options, they just get confused by them.

Don't know that Steamworks has been officially confirmed by Squeenix, though its box art being used by Valve to advertise Steamworks is kind of a give away.

Edited by Zoraptor

While the rest of the world gets all the extra goodies, for the US what extras you get depends on where you make your purchase. So yay us. Of course here is Australia we pay a million billion more for our games so it all evens out.

I don't much care for Steam, but I don't see how its use makes a publisher "even more money-grubby ".

It can be used to block cheap parallel imports or key resellers. Buy a copy of [game] in the US for 50USD and it may not work on an Australian IP as they want you to buy the 90AUD/ USD equivalent price. Or any other cross border key use you may want- see for example British copies of FONV reportedly not working in Poland (which, amusingly enough, is illegal under EU regs).

I've only heard them do it if you purchase one of the copies that are sent out to high piracy/impoverished regions. Those get extra low price points to try to fight piracy.

I've never heard of them doing it to US copies. Just don't go buying from Southeast Asia or particular parts of Eurasia unless you live there. Where the copies cost maybe $20.

Though I never heard about Fallout New Vegas doing that for Britain -> Poland. So I might not be well enough informed.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So if I bought a boxed copy of a game that uses Steamworks from outside Australia, Steam might suddenly cut my access to that game?

Well, potentially they can do that for a game purchased in Australia.

The cheap resellers factor (as per Tale, reselling keys from marginal markets, though it may not be obvious that is what they are doing and some otherwise reputable vendors can be hit with the issue even when sending physical copies) and enforcing pricing zones are clearly the major parts of the picture, eg Bethesda, no regional pricing for Fallout 3, regional pricing for FONV; 2k, no regional pricing for Bioshock 2, regional pricing for all their steamworks games. They certainly can block US copies from working in Australia but it's more likely to manifest itself in something like an uncensored copy of [game] morphing into the censored version as soon as you get an Australian IP associated with it.

something like an uncensored copy of [game] morphing into the censored version as soon as you get an Australian IP associated with it.

Thanks for reminding me of that other thing I don't like about steam.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

anyone know if there is going to be a demo?

Edited by entrerix

Well it definitely plays like Deus Ex.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The shift between 1st person and 3rd person seems fairly fluid when they go back and forth between cover/stealth and not.

.. and dang it, it's making me even more impatient for August release to arrive.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I don't like auto highlight on objects, but hopefully there's toggle or mod (in the future) that remove it. I'm not against highlight objects in general, but in stealth type of games part of the fun is to find the solutions to problems without aid. Other then that minor issue, game looks great and gameplay seem to be very close to DeusEx.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I can rationalise it as the character having better sensory abilities than the player though, what with the augmented eyes and stuff. The perception stat in RPGs in general rarely seem to do anything logical, and admittedly it's hard to scale beyond making aiming more accurate which is a bit of a non-sequitur.

I wear my sunglasses at night

So I can

So I can

Watch you weave then breath your story lines

And I wear my sunglasses at night

So I can

So I can

Keep track of the visions in my eyes

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G