Deus Ex 3

So your biggest complaint is that you can't water the plants? :shifty:

What? I'm not complaining about anything.

That's my job.

Would you say that the inability to water plants will destroy the experience for you?

I used to like putting trashcans on the tables in DX1.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If I can't heal myself after having my legs blown off by a cube of TNT by eating a dozen packets of soy chips I found lying on the streets it's Deus Ex in name only.

You joke, but no matter what that complaint will be made.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If I can't heal myself after having my legs blown off by a cube of TNT by eating a dozen packets of soy chips I found lying on the streets it's Deus Ex in name only.

I don't think a dislike of health regeneration equates to that. I miss the old RSE games for that, limb damage being in effect for an entire mission.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't think a dislike of health regeneration equates to that. I miss the old RSE games for that, limb damage being in effect for an entire mission.

I don't recall either me or Hell Kitty mentioning health regeneration.

There's a concept known as "they changed it, now it sucks." The more passionate a fanbase is with regards to a work, the more obnoxious they'll be with regards to any differences at all in subsequent works.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't recall either me or Hell Kitty mentioning health regeneration.

There's a concept known as "they changed it, now it sucks." The more passionate a fanbase is with regards to a work, the more obnoxious they'll be with regards to any differences at all in subsequent works.

Hm, I'll have to re-read his post again, pretty sure that what he was joking at. Well aware of that, just read the funny labels thrown around on the official forums, particularly by the optimists, heh (one actually tossed NMA in there somehow, kinda cool).

Speaking of which

5431279522_68e1a22c55.jpg

An idea of the times, if anything.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Let's not even start down the health regen road lest I be forced to throw an internet tantrum and soil my britches.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's a forgiveness feature, don't fret too much about it.

Glowing object highlights, how very consolish. It's like the game doesn't want us to look around ourselves. Also the alternative paths are too obvious, destroying everything that made DX great in the first place. Thy could just put in some quest arrow, it wouldn't make a difference.

Agreed. Thanks to consoles, the areas are still just too small. Finding that "alternative" way in isn't really rocket science. And the glowing LOOK HERE KIDS! is too rage inducing for me personally. Might pick this up if it someday drops to the $4.99 bargain price like IW did on Steam, and just play it out of sheer morbid curiosity.

They are doing it wrong, it shouldn't be one item that is interactable among a whole level of clutter. It should be the other way around, dammit.

No.

I like the idea of being able to interact with everything, but in reality it's pretty pointless.

In Deus Ex 1, you pretty much could. It was the point of the gameplay, a completely reactive envirment.

You misunderstand. I'm talking about junk items that serve no real purpose. Things that once picked up you either drop them or throw them, liked potted plants and trophies, or things like phones which make a noise when used but have no purpose at all. In DX you walk into a room, there are 5 objects, and all of them can be interacted with in some manner though only 2 or 3 have any real use. In DXHR you walk into a room, there are 50 objects, but only 2 or 3 can be interacted with.

Take this shot for instance, ignoring the man who is about to get stabbed by mean old Jensen, you can probably only interact with the gun and the computer, and the rest of the clutter is non-interactive scenery. If this was DX1, you could probably also interact with the potted plant, the recycling bin, and the phone, but together those 5 things would be the only items in the room.

dxhr005.jpg

DX was never about being able to pick up anything that isn't nailed down. It's not a Bethesda RPG.

No really, having more items in a level but at the same time having less to interact with compared to a standard level of the game's predecessor released 11 years is simply regression and devolution. There's no pushing the limit, no new ideas or complexity, no great ambition. They are simply playing with the cards that they are given, which is to play it safe.

Btw, in DX1 it was completely up for the player to decide which object had any real use or not, not the designer. Now, the player is allowed to use items that the designer deemed as of any real use. A big step back in terms of design philosophy if you ask me.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

For such a brief example of gameplay and level design as that trailer shows.. there seems a lot of rage and distaste being shown.

I don't know, I mean, I loved the original and still play it.. but I think some of you have really rose-tinted specs on about it. There were some levels in DE that the various combat vs sneak routes were that obvious.

We have no real knowledge of how much more subtle it gets as the game progresses, and it kind of makes some sense that the first "real" mission will open up with a bit of spoon feeding to highlight what you should start looking for for all those people that never played the original.

If you look at the various descriptions of how the rest of that level plays it , it looks like there are a lot of potential options and ways to deal with stuff. Until we actually get to see more of it, I'm withholding any firm opinion one way or the other.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

^I actually think DX had a lot of flaws, though it managed to overcome them. SO I'm not in the least adverse to gameplay changes.

Also, I actually though Invisible War was all right and even decent in some areas, so I must be pretty tolerant of deviations in the DX-style universe.

atm, the only thing I thoguht was really inexcusably awful in that little playthrough was the object highlighting.

i figured that since it was a tutorial level, it was going to be small in comparison to the first deus ex level. I really hope that the first proper level of the game is of the same size as the liberty island level of deus ex, just to show that the level design is of the same scale and caliber for this game as the original, since they have stated so frequently that they are trying to emulate the original game.

if every level is small and narrow it will basically be alpha protocol 2, which is ok I guess. But its not deus ex. Taking the great level design out is taking the core of the gameplay out, akin to making a fallout game thats not turn based.

oh...

oh no dear god no.

(note, some of the comments contained in this post are intended for humor only, and should not be taken seriously. basically all the stuff not in the first paragraph you can ignore)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

(note, some of the comments contained in this post are intended for humor only, and should not be taken seriously. basically all the stuff not in the first paragraph you can ignore)

That's not going to fly with us, Johnny. We're going to have to ban you from the Internet.

I don't have huge reservations about the vid - in fact game looks generally solid, generally fun, and Deus Exy, from what little you can see in that video, and I'm also happy with the whole gold/black thing. The highlighting is stupid, but in the end it's not a big deal. I do want to know whether the guards are as blind, static and deaf as they are here, whether other dialogue / characters are better than Tutorial Jim with his Happy Airport PA Voice, how level design works in the wider scale.

It has been said by EM, that while the "basic tutorial level" is the section pre-jensen-augmentation, the first "proper" mission is also tutorial easy and laid out in a manner to guide people into proper DeusExy attitudes.

And various comments have been made by the people who got to play the 3 hour demos that the highlight isn't as glaring if you're playing the game compared to how it jumps out at you if you're just watching someone else play.. So that's possibly a good thing for general immersion and other things in the game keeping your attention..

(and yes, I know that could just be the naive optimist in me..) :lol:

I don't get it - the highlighting is there so you know what you can pick up and what you can't. Makes perfect sense to me. Maybe if it wasn't as ''fat'' it'd at least look better. The engine obviously can't support every single object having full physics (or being pickup-able either). It was either lots of pretty scenes with highlighting for items you can use, or being able to pick up everything but the environnements being empty.

This is a very minor thing, too. :lol:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It has been said by EM, that while the "basic tutorial level" is the section pre-jensen-augmentation, the first "proper" mission is also tutorial easy and laid out in a manner to guide people into proper DeusExy attitudes.

And various comments have been made by the people who got to play the 3 hour demos that the highlight isn't as glaring if you're playing the game compared to how it jumps out at you if you're just watching someone else play.. So that's possibly a good thing for general immersion and other things in the game keeping your attention..

(and yes, I know that could just be the naive optimist in me..) :lol:

Again I say; if the biggest issue your game has is the highlights around objects, you hit the jackpot. It is such an irrelevant aspect that I don't know why there is so much focus on it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't get it - the highlighting is there so you know what you can pick up and what you can't. Makes perfect sense to me. Maybe if it wasn't as ''fat'' it'd at least look better. The engine obviously can't support every single object having full physics (or being pickup-able either). It was either lots of pretty scenes with highlighting for items you can use, or being able to pick up everything but the environnements being empty.

You never played the first Deus Ex?

To me its like having a giant glowing arrow pointing at objects with a big glowing text box:

"Hey, you can touch this!"

SUre, it doesn't ruin the playability of the game: I can get used to anything if I see it often enough, but its pretty distracting. And so unneccesary. I'm intelligent enough to figure out what I can interact with, without the big glowing halo.

I used to like putting trashcans on the tables in DX1.

You're in luck:

dx00.jpg

Best Game Ever: Confirmed.

Also the alternative paths are too obvious, destroying everything that made DX great in the first place.

Someone at the official forums made this just for people like you:

capture18032011192059.jpg

In her second playthrough, how is the hole in the fence behind a bunch of boxes in that room an obvious path?

Thanks to consoles, the areas are still just too small.

What are you basing this on? The small part of the level we saw in that video seemed pretty roomy to me.

dx02.jpgdx03.jpg

I think people forget that the larger levels like Liberty Island featured a lot of empty space.

There's no pushing the limit, no new ideas or complexity, no great ambition.

Man, you people are trying way too hard to be negative. You're talking about new ideas when complaining that part of this new game isn't the same as the old game.

Btw, in DX1 it was completely up for the player to decide which object had any real use or not, not the designer.

Explain what use these items had:

dx01c.jpg

Besides doing stupid stuff like that I mean.

Would DXHR really be a better game if we could manipulate each individual book in Sarif's office?

dx04.jpg

Despite people complaining about obvious highlighting, you seemed to have missed all the cardboard boxes in that video. Don't worry, DXHR will still meet your carrying-stuff-around needs. Cardboard boxes, crates, barrels and trash cans at the very least. Maybe you'll even be able to pick up chairs. Picking up chairs was my favourite part of Deus Ex.

Well at least one person loves it already >_<

This is a very minor thing, too. >_<

You never played the first Deus Ex?

Of course I did. Why would you assume that?

PS: I will admit highlighting ladders is ridiculous.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Although they have yet to show off the PC version... And it has been said the PC will have a different HUD setup to consoles.