Dragon Age 2

Darque

thats what i meant.

by "not as good as" I meant for the time. games are not released in a vacuum of course :thumbsup:

edit 2: also I finally took an avatar because I'm getting closer and closer to earning my wings and i thought i needed one...

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

85 is a good score.

Actually, in this day and age of monumentally inflated scores, it really isn't.

Swedish PC gamer may not be getting a Christmas card from Bioware this year.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

, this guy makes me want to hammer toothpicks into my ears.

I haven't clicked the link, but I'm going to guess it's David Silverman.

He's not well liked; there's a poster on the BSN named FireDavidSilverman.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

, this guy makes me want to hammer toothpicks into my ears.

I haven't clicked the link, but I'm going to guess it's David Silverman.

He's not well liked; there's a poster on the BSN named FireDavidSilverman.

Wow, are you psychic? :o

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

still though, a TEN point drop is a big difference. that is the reviewer saying "this game is most definitely not as good as the last one". Considering that sequels in videogameland are often better than the originals, this is a poopoo sign that DA2 now wears around its large and spikyarmored neck.

I'm expecting to like it anyway, but if i don't like it A LOT then I'm going to stop pre-ordering bioware games for a while in case they are going back into one of their slumps.

Did you not like Mass Effect?

I have a number of expectations for Dragon Age II.

I expect the game will be shorter. I've heard 'up to 50 hours' but I'm going to guess that the average person will finish it in about 30 hours.

I expect I'll enjoy the combat more. I understand why people might find the moves ridiculous and the speed unpleasant, but I've only managed one full play through of Origins. The combat in Origins just wasn't fun for me. The combat we had in the demo is. I've played as TH warrior, mage, and DW rogue and they were all satisfying in their way.

I expect I'll enjoy the dialogue wheel. People have criticized the wheel for reducing the number of choices but I don't see it. When I play a BioWare game, this is what I expect from the dialogue.

1. Yes, I will save your kitten for you

2. Yes, I will save your kitten but give me gold

3. [slit his throat]

4. How did you lose your kitten?

I expect the actual choices will remain the same. Now you just have three different ways of telling them 'Yes' or 'Yes, but give me gold' while [slit their throat] is now slit throat if rogue, decapitate if warrior, and fireball if mage.

It's simply flavor, but it's better than paragon <-> diplomatic and renegade <-> aggressive.

I know I'll enjoy the graphics of Dragon Age II more. It's just a prettier game to me. It's not as good looking as the Witcher, DX, or Skyrim. I doubt it will be as good looking as ME 3.

The game engine they're using is at least 7 years old and it shows. I think they developed DA II in 15 months because they knew it was just going to get worse and worse looking in comparison to other games but they didn't want to create a new engine after using the DA:O for a single game.

Dragon Age III will probably have a new engine and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd already begun working on it.

I expect the story and storytelling will be better. It will be interesting to see BioWare's take on a 'political' story where you have various factions you can align with.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I finally did an archer. Not normally a class that would interest me but someone suggested I try it. Fun, but it felt as though I'd lowered the difficulty. I didn't even need a potion to get through any of the fights.

http://twitter.com/thedesslock

- Playing the full game now, will post some comments soon

- Alright, I'll be blunt-initial impressions of DA2 are VERY negative. Still love BioWare's storytelling, so I'm sure I'll get more positive

- storytelling real strength of BioWare RPGs-don't mind action-oriented focus (although loved tactical combat of DA1)-but hate combat/graphics

didn't he say he wasn't going to play DA2?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I expect I'll enjoy the dialogue wheel. People have criticized the wheel for reducing the number of choices but I don't see it. When I play a BioWare game, this is what I expect from the dialogue.

1. Yes, I will save your kitten for you

2. Yes, I will save your kitten but give me gold

3. [slit his throat]

4. How did you lose your kitten?

I expect the actual choices will remain the same. Now you just have three different ways of telling them 'Yes' or 'Yes, but give me gold' while [slit their throat] is now slit throat if rogue, decapitate if warrior, and fireball if mage.

I think main critique is same that Gromnir has often posted at least on this board. I'll quote post from Neogaf (could be someone who post here too).

"Hi, I'm a religious fanatic and I want to murder your sister"

* Well buddy come on and travel with us !

* That's weird. Come travel with us.

* Damn you! You'd better stay in my sight at all times when you come travel with us!

C H O I C E & C O N S E Q U E N C E S

There's no real or even virtual choice, just masked responses behind dialogue wheel. You can't refuse to take forced companion and her minion nor have option just to take forced companion. Bioware have done this for years now and it's almost uncanny how little they trust on player in any issue, no matter if it's technical (like controlling when to use friendly fire) or storyline (WE make the choices, WE know what's best for everyone).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I think Bio is just trying to figure out how much money they can make without doing any actual work, just by making promises

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There's no real or even virtual choice...

There are choices in the game, just not in the demo. The only choice I remember in the human noble prologue was whether to take someone to my bed or not.

We already know there's are mutually exclusive quests offered to you, various factions to choose from, and mages you can liberater or traquilize for the greater good. Given that we already have reviews of the full game, I think 'you can't make choices' would have been brought up already if it were the case.

Edited by Maria Caliban

Shandyr from the BioWare forums said...

Hey guys,

I've just got the brandnew PC Games and I want to share with you what they say about Dragon Age 2:

88%

pro:

+ very good story

+ very well developed and balanced characters (followers)

+ great dialogues with epic choices concerning morality

+ thrilling boss-fights

contra:

- limited possibility of developing your class

- very weak level design

- and an absolute unsatisfying ending

en detail about the leveldesign:

As I said, very weak. It seems entire levels have just been copy-pasted and only the labels were changed.

Besides the PC Games criticises that there's no open world, no open maps.

Most of the Maps resemble the one from the demo-version, which means, narrow paths.

Kirkwall, a city which should be full of live and chaos (because of the arrival of so many refugees), has a rather calm if not boring appearance. I think this is like Denerim - the capital city of Ferelden, you absolutely don't get the feeling of being in a metropolis when visiting Denerim Market District.

extra notes:

- The Game seems to have been mass-effected, in a positive and in a negative way.

(For example you cannot equip your followers, they wear their own equipment, which can be improved once by

solving their personal quest. Another example would be the ending: You've to choose which one of your followers has to do certain tasks - just like in Mass Effect 2)

- So far the game only crashed once during the test. Furthermore PC Game hasn't made out any bugs related to quests yet.

- They say, the game is only about 7 years, not 10 - and they counted each year carefully

Conclusion:

They say to fully enjoy Dragon Age 2, you have to accept that the time of old-fashioned RPGs is over.

There's a screenshot showing Hawke fighting a...

harvester

Edited by Maria Caliban

Most of the Maps resemble the one from the demo-version, which means, narrow paths.

Something which can finally make me lose all doubt. Goodbye, DA2, I shall not bother. And I so wanted to like you. :o

Although, I guess it'd be immensely hypocritical of me to believe a review...

I know I'll enjoy the graphics of Dragon Age II more. It's just a prettier game to me. It's not as good looking as the Witcher, DX, or Skyrim. I doubt it will be as good looking as ME 3.

I don't agree with you, being as two of the games you've mentioned haven't been released how can you make that statement.

Technology wise, DA II has a nice renderer. It really shines when you crank everything upto 10, using the DX 11 renderer. Are you doing this?

In the demo there are some bink videos, bridging the gameplay etc... The contrast is extremely noticeable.

The game engine they're using is at least 7 years old and it shows. I think they developed DA II in 15 months because they knew it was just going to get worse and worse looking in comparison to other games but they didn't want to create a new engine after using the DA:O for a single game.

Dragon Age III will probably have a new engine and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd already begun working on it.

Sadly this just shows that you don't know anything about game engine development.

I think the only thing they felt they could do was improve the renderer by adding more, and porting to the latest API's. So in essence, the game has an improved renderer, what they're stuck with, are likely arcitectural choices, those tend to be expensive to change.

I'd also wager, a fair amount of money aswell, that if you took a look at the Bioware codebase, you're going to find code in Dragon Age going back to Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate.

Will they scrap there engine, and write a new one.... No. Unreal Engine 3, or CryEngine 3, or whatever engine you wish to look at, isn't invented a fresh, its the previous engine with additions. It's both rare, and very expensive to build an engine from scratch.

Here's something, lets imagine that a new console is announced and bioware decides they're going to develop a release title for it... Do they port their current engine? Or do they start from a blank sheet?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Here's something, lets imagine that a new console is announced and bioware decides they're going to develop a release title for it... Do they port their current engine? Or do they start from a blank sheet?

Well I really hope they start from blank sheet.

I don't know a thing about engines or coding in general, but the rather big amount of unfixed bugs in DA either mean the devs are lazy, or they can't fix them for a reason or another. I'm inclined to believe the latter.. or atleast I really HOPE it's the latter. There was some big bug in Awakening, can't remember what, but the devs told that they CAN'T fix it.

Like I said, don't know a thing about these things, but I'm having trouble to call a engine as a good one if the devs themselves can't fix the bugs in it.

They say to fully enjoy Dragon Age 2, you have to accept that the time of old-fashioned RPGs is over.

What does this mean?

It means that Bio would much rather make Indigo Prophecy 2 than Baldur's Gate 3. DA2 needn't be a bad game, but it sure as **** is shaping up to be a pretty atrocious RPG.

In truth, this is to be expected - for Bio, gameplay has always been just a vehicle for storytelling. When gameplay was solid (we're talking NWN here), this was cool. But considering that players would much rather have a romanceable king Cailan than actual tactical depth and varied, well-designed encounters, solid and distinct class development etc, it's not surprising that they are scrapping certain aspects of "traditional" RPG gameplay.

I have faith though that, despite PR talk, their MMO will still essentially be a number crunching business, dominated by a need for careful planning and a strong emphasis on gameplay.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Shandyr from the BioWare forums said...

Hey guys,

I've just got the brandnew PC Games and I want to share with you what they say about Dragon Age 2:

<SNIP>

- and an absolute unsatisfying ending

I wonder what they mean by that. I was going through various scenarios in my head, and the worst I could come up with, was that after the fight with the big boss, the screen cuts to Varric and Cassandra, they turn towards the camera, and say: "And for the continuation of the story, buy the DLC out in late 2011!".

I think it will probably just be a cliffhanger ending to set up Dragon Age 3.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Until of course they become fashionable again, the hubris in this statement is breath-taking (we're not making them so they are over).

Bio has been on this course for several years, the volte face from the traditional elements of DA:O I guess is a legacy of the epic development cycle.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Until of course they become fashionable again, the hubris in this statement is breath-taking (we're not making them so they are over).

Bio has been on this course for several years, the volte face from the traditional elements of DA:O I guess is a legacy of the epic development cycle.

They are just a magazine. They are not making anything, Monte. :sorcerer: