Dragon Age 2

Darque

gah! probably some bug connected to my hardware

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The final implementation for auto-attack on console is actually a toggle

in the options menu, if I recall correctly

does it mean there's gonna be button-mashing on consoles?! this isn't fair :)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Yeah, I want button-mashing for PC too. :ermm:

BTW, about the camera, some gameplay videos have shown different angles, so I guess the final version will have other views too?

Yeah, I want button-mashing for PC too. :ermm:

BTW, about the camera, some gameplay videos have shown different angles, so I guess the final version will have other views too?

Other angles than the ones you could get in the demo via the mouse scrolling button? I haven't seen any of those... :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Thngs I learnt from the demo.

Voiced PC = Fail (we already knew that)

Camera = Fail

Art Style/Graphics = Fail

Combat wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, to be honest it was better then I thought it would be. But it's hard to tell if it's that much of a 'streamlining' without progressing further(given abilities and specializations are locked), but it does seem that way.

Perhaps the story and characters will improve my feelings about this game but I doubt it.(Given what I've seen from the demo)

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

But what concerns me more is I didn't see a buff bar anywhere.

Not sure what you're talking about.

it would help immensely if it said what the icon stands for when you held the cursor over it.

It does.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

that's a great pic :)

Is it just me or is the mage as overpowered as it was in DA:O or even more?

it is, very much so. virtually unlimited mana and a million devastating spells, I'm not sure what they were trying to achieve

Walsingham said:

Heh only 372470 unlocks so far. And i actually ventured into the social boards, it's filled with fan girls fawning over everything xD

I'm not even sure what the tracker in the site is for. It seems to be PC downloads.

The other negative I have is the load times in conversations and cutscenes. They don't last long, but could have done without them. Again, not a biggie though.

That was supposedly a hardware issue they've already dealt with.

I only encountered it twice, but I heard some people had multiple loadings per cutscene.

Yeah, I want button-mashing for PC too. :)

I actually asked for a click to attack for PC users but they said no. Now that I know what the targeting is like on the PC, I have to agree. You'd think they'd take a page from ME 2 and implement sticky targeting.

Yes.

I thought they were going to bring the rogue and warrior a bit up to par, but that just seems to mean the rogue archer is now also overpowered.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yes.

I thought they were going to bring the rogue and warrior a bit up to par, but that just seems to mean the rogue archer is now also overpowered.

Yeah, that feels like you have fully tricked out battle rifle instead of a bow/crossbow.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Female Hawke walk makes me want to punch people.

Why? It's so jolly. What's better that jogging through a dangerous barren land. xD All she's missing is an ipod/mp3 player and headphones. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I'm just going to keep telling myself its pretty... That should make it acceptable, because it plays badly.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Yes.

Mages to me seem the same they were in DAO: high DPS, but very weak against attacks.

Archery was extremely overpowered in DAO:Awakening, so it's more about bringing it down. :p

The rogues backstab seemed quite smart in a silly way. The whole "teleport" behind whoever you're fighting so you're right at their back... Was also a useful way to avoid the Ogre's smashing attacks.

So if the rest of the Rogue skills have that similar vein and mean you don't have to spend large amounts of time maneuvering your way around the battlefield to being able to use skills ala Origins.. I can see how that might make Rogues a touch more adaptable.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Impressions after playing the demo twice on PC, once as a male melee Rogue and once as a female ranged Rogue:

- Combat seems very similar to DA:O in terms of what you do, the difference is that everything happens faster. The "press a button and sth awesome happens" design philosophy can really be noticed, and it will be interesting to see how the faster-paced combat will function on higher difficulty levels. I expect that setting up tactics for your party will be more important than it was in the first game because of the accelerated speed. Also, Bethany was throwing fireballs all over the place and they often ended up hitting me and other party members, but didn't damage us because friendly fire was turned off in the demo -- I wonder how this will work on higher difficulties where friendly fire *will* be a concern, and also how effectively we will be able to control groups of monster through Grease, Earthquake, etc. and then deploy AoE spells, like we did in the first game. It seems that, with the faster pace of combat, this would be more difficult.

- The new interface style took some getting used to, but I like it now, and I like how easy it is to see the difference between activated and sustained abilities and how they've color-coded every ability tree more clearly -- at higher levels in DA:O (and especially in Awakening) it became a a huge pain to keep a good overview of all the abilities on my group's quickbars, so I'm happy to see improvement in that area.

- The first location of the demo was a very, very poor choice to show off the game's graphics and atmosphere. A barren wasteland with a few ruins scattered about, it was just plain boring. The second location, the city, was more impressive, but that section of the demo was so short and fast-paced (when I wasn't fighting, I was busy running, trying to keep up with Isabela) that I never even got the chance to be impressed by it.

- Most of the character models seem to look better than in DA:O, except for the darkspawn -- I liked the look of the darkspawn in the first game far better than what I saw in the demo; they look pathetic. Even the ogre. Which is a real shame, as it makes them feel more like sword/bow/spell fodder then an actual threat, and a lot less satisfying to kill, too. Crossing my fingers that some modders agree with me, and will find a way to get the old darkspawn models into DA2. Male Hawke's looks bothered me as well, but that I can remedy through character creation.

- The dialog wheel and VO Hawke bothered me less than I thought it would, but only the final game will tell if it is as much of a step backwards as some people make it out to be. In the end it's about telling an interesting and engaging story and having the player feel like he is impacting that story, and if the game accomplishes that, then I'll be satisfied. As for the rest of the characters... I didn't feel any connection whatsoever to my family, and couldn't care less when my brother died. I'm not sure how this will be handled in the final game, but in the demo they felt more like a liability than anything else, and aside from Bethany (mostly because she was the only Mage in the group) I couldn't wait to be rid of them. Varric seemed like a fun guy to have around though and Isabela was interesting, but didn't get enough screentime to leave a lasting impression.

Overall, I'm just looking forward to trying more of the game. BioWare took a big chance in making such huge changes to the look and feel of the world (though gameplay itself doesn't seem to be *that* different) and I'm curious to see if they pulled off what they set out to do, or if it will end up feeling like a big mess.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Rogue attack animations seemed jerky to me. But I consider that so trivial a complaint as to be barely worth the length of this disclaimer.

The demo showed off combat and that was basically it. Which means I'm not satisfied that it showed much at all. It is kind of nice that the enemies don't wait for you to hit them with AoE at long ranges before engaging, but is the entire game going to be scripted encounters like that? Who knows.

The icon system didn't help the issues with paraphrasing. Is it because it's so poorly documented? I doubt it. I was hopeful it would. But when DIAMOND "She won't be alone" turns out to be "she's with father" instead of my assumption that "we'll send the Darkspawn to join her" then I know that I have no idea what's going on.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

One thing I did notice last night.. when you picked up a new skill, the Tactics would automatically generate some rules for the new skill. Which works nicely compared to how DA:O didn't recognise it unless you went in and created them yourself.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

DAO did recognize new skills, assuming you weren't using a custom set.

However, and hopefully this is because they forked the demo out before they did much with tactics, the tactics setup is stupid and half ignored. Surrounded by 2 or more enemies apparently means "the second combat starts and they're across the map." And healing gets shoved to the bottom of damager tactics.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."