Dragon Age 2

Darque

- poor level design with one-to-one copy-pasting of whole quest areas

Wonderful. Didn't they fix those in ME2 because people complained about them in ME?

"limited class progression with fixed skilltrees"

What exactly is that supposed to mean? Isn't, byt defintion, all class based or heck all character, based progression' limited'.

And, fixed skilltrees? That's exactly how it was DA. Not, to mention most evry RPG in existence.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"limited class progression with fixed skilltrees"

What exactly is that supposed to mean? Isn't, byt defintion, all class based or heck all character, based progression' limited'.

And, fixed skilltrees? That's exactly how it was DA. Not, to mention most evry RPG in existence.

LOL... again LOL :: cries ::

Over 13000 posts. And every one a winner, like this.

sonsofgygax.JPG

"Meh. We know reviews are mostly rubbish, it'd be silly to believe them now. I'll wait for the demo."

People believe what they want to believe. if you believe DA2 will be rubbish that's what you'll get from reviews, if not, you'll see the opposite. *shrug*

30 hours? I'm sure it'll be 30 hours for some, 20 for others, and yet 50 for another group. Then you'll get the braggarts who'll do it in 10, and the lsow pokes whow do it in 80. Big deal. Time is irrelevant as long as you enjoy it.

One of the best RPGs of all time - FO - was 10-20 hours max if you took your time. Didn't lessen my enjoyment of it to be darn sure.

"That's what you get for rushing the game out of the doors."

Game wasn't rushed. Game was finished when it was finished. If DA2 is the worst game ever, it has nothing to do with length of the development. It be a cop out just like it was for certain other games.

Afterall, NWN took 5 years to make, and a certain segemnt of punks think its a horrible game. *shrug* That's life. And, NHL 11 took a year to make and its an awesome freakin' game. IWD1 had a 'short' dev cycle yet was a solidly fun game.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, that's pretty much guaranteed. It was OK in DAO, I could just laugh at it and move on. Depends on how many cutscenes they chuck at you, less the better.

I'm not worried about length, I just think it's going to be really cheesy. I mean really cheasy

If the lead writer cities Josh Whedon (Buffy, Firefly and stuff) as one of his biggest inspirations.

Yeah, you are in the cheesy territory.

Edited by C2B

Meh. We know reviews are mostly rubbish, it'd be silly to believe them now. I'll wait for the demo.

I like reading reviews. I don't think they're rubbish... Actually, I do think they're rubbish. Let me start over.

Reviews are subjective so in order to utilize a review, you need to know where the reviewer is coming from. Because they think the same way as you do or you're aware of their tastes. I think a good review can point out various aspects of the game and examine them in a useful way, even if you don't agree with what they say.

However, the main function of magazine and internet reviews is to tell a consumer if they should pay money for something or skip it. In that, game reviews are rubbish.

Well, that's pretty much guaranteed. It was OK in DAO, I could just laugh at it and move on. Depends on how many cutscenes they chuck at you, less the better.

They doubled the cinematic team for DA II and there are more cutscenes than in DA:O. However, the cutscenes are also more class specific. For example, there's a scene where Hawke murders a qunari in a chantry. We've seen the mage version with the staff, but there's also a warrior version and a rogue version. Companion interaction will also have cutscenes as well as the conversation between Varric and Cassandra.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

if the cutscenes were full-3D, I could roll with that. but the engine ones... that's laughable. even Alpha Protocol looked better than DA2 in this regard

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

if the cutscenes were full-3D, I could roll with that. but the engine ones... that's laughable. even Alpha Protocol looked better than DA2 in this regard

I thought the beginning with Cassandra and Verric was well done.

I'm not sure what you mean about Alpha Protocol being better. I'm going to guess there's a strong level of hyperbole there because the majority of Alpha Protocol's cutscenes was someone standing or sitting while they talked. And the sex scenes.

In the opening to DA II we have:

Man being dragged by two other men

Man being slammed onto chair

Woman waving book

Woman throwing book at face

Woman slamming knife into book

Close up of fingers touching the pages

Along with the usual facial expressions, hand gestures, and body language.

Compare Varric's movements to Michael's during the interrogation: Michael sits in the same position throughout the game, never moves his hands, and talks. The man with him stands (in one spot) or sits and talks. I want to say he sometimes smokes.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

ok, switch AP with ME2 :p

seriously, I'd rather have them develop the game for another year just to deliver the full cinematic experience. not this half-assed attempt at making a movie on the game's engine

they should've been taking notes from SquareEnix. or dump the whole deal altogether and replace it with hand-drawn stills with commentary read by actors. much like in the opening sequence.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I don't mind ugly cutscenes at all, I just think the combination of video-game-standard voice acting, hilariously cheesy lines and DA's slightly-renfairy-fantasy look all combine for a cringeworthy experience (which, conversely, is why all the sex scenes look so funny).

I thought the beginning with Cassandra and Verric was well done.

That was alright, but after a few minutes we have:

Woman to Darkspawn: YOU WILL NOT HAVE HIIIIIM!

*slash*

Woman to Man: THEY WILL NOT HAVE YOUUU!

:(

Maria, can a warrior take skills from both the sword+shield and two handed trees? Or are they mutually exclusive? I liked playing a warrior with a nice mix of all weapon skills in DAO. Also is there weapon swapping on the fly?

Hawke can take skills from both trees but companions cannot. None of the inventory screens I've seen have the ability to switch weapons.

Wow, how bad do you have to be to be not as good as DAO? Did they repeat every dungeon twice this time?

you should be happy. most of the da2 "improvements" is directed at making their sequel play more like kotor... going "cinematic," whatever that means. bring in camera. has a single identifiable protagonist. simplify combat. etc.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, except none of that is what made KOTOR good.

try and convince bioware that so many things they did in kotor to enhance cinematic storytelling didn't actual work. is a particular difficult task given the fact that kotor were such an undeniable success. overcoming the mistakes we made in victory is a far different challenge than identifying the errors that led to our defeat.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gamestar, a German magazine, came out today with the demo on a CD. BioWare is deleting threads talking about it. I think that's a bit silly.

Again, the control freakery is a fairly recent development. It used to be a nice company to interact with, now it's a sort of prissy, precious type of outfit. And as somebody who loathes the collected works of Joss Wheedon, I'm sort of seeing the link.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Gamestar, a German magazine, came out today with the demo on a CD. BioWare is deleting threads talking about it. I think that's a bit silly.

:(

And it did hit just about every download site right away. My german is bit rusty and I'm not that interested of Dragon Age 2 anyway so I won't bother to DL it. I do want to try english version at some point and it's good to see Bioware / EA supporting demos again.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

And it did hit just about every download site right away.

hey, you're right! god bless the community :(

EDIT: it looks absolutely craptastic on my machine. also, that thing about fluid controls and faster response is absolute ****e, it's exactly the same as in DAO only now the animation looks artificially sped up. it's like they're not wearing heavy armor and wielding heavy swords but juggling wooden sticks. so stupid, my god. in terms of control nothing has changed.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said: