FO: NV (DLC)

Rosbjerg

I haven't been on STEAM for a while and I just noticed that Dead Money is available. I'm going to pay for and download my first DLC ever. :Cant's sheepish grin icon:

I'm really looking forward to it and, if I understand some of the banter in this thread, it looks like there will be more DLC in the future. FO:NV has really restored my interest in Obsidian, so I'm hoping for more games. I'm even breaking down and buying Alpha Protocol. I think they're working on Dungeon Seige 3 also, which I'd get anyway. I might not have time to play all of them any time soon, but I'm really looking forward giving them all a whirl.

I'm crossing my fingers that Dead Money will be as impressive as FO:NV.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Latest "rumor" (let's call it like that until it's officially announced) says, Honest Hearts to be out on 19th april. Source for this is an entry on Trademarkia.

I think the date is realistic, especially beeing around 19th - 22th (Dead Money was released on the 22th february which was a tuesday, just like the 19th april is a tuestday).

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I have an embarassing noobish question. I bought (and STEAM installed) Dead Money but all my menus look the same and there doesn't seem to be any difference in the game. Is the Dead Money area just some place I need to find throughout the regular game? I tend not to read too much about games for fear I'll spoil a surprise but now I'm worried that I wasted my time and money on the DLC without actually having it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

First, make sure to restart STEAM. Sometimes it seems to mess up the download and will resume downloading after a restart or some such.

As for playing, I just walked around in the game for a minute or two before there was a pop-up with the radio signal and all that jazz.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Finished Dead Money, at about 5 hours. Excellent, definitely worth it and FNV really benefits from the 'tighter' design of a DLC.

On the main talking points, I didn't feel the collar/speaker/etc mechanisms were that bad at all - certainly nowhere as annoying as MOTB's spirit meter (though I was fine with that too). You can run through most areas before your head blows up, I enjoyed being careful and sneaking around high-strength enemies but you definitely don't have to crawl around all the time. Heck, you can just run past holograms most of the time. It's definitely high level but I played on hardcore/very hard with a level 15 character and did OK.

Story is well done, though I didn't find all the fragments to add it all up so the impact wasn't as big as it could have been. Dog is definitely the standout character. The introduction of whole new enemies and weapon sets, and the fact that you need to scrounge for survival, makes it interesting, but once again, the difficulty/annoynace is overstated I feel - after an hour or two you're swimming in the 'new' gear anyway.

Any way to not have to kill Dean?

Hmm, I don't agree. I prefer the open-endedness of the outside world much more than the "dungeon crawler" type of environment used in Dead Money. The environments in Dead Money became very repetitive and it was very difficult to orientate oneself because of the sameness of every location. I am hoping that the next DLC will play out above ground and expand on the wasteland instead. Maybe a more desert-like area with little villages/gas stations/random locations scattered about? I would enjoy that much more, I think.

I liked the little desert that's in New Vegas (think it was called Dry Lake something?), but it was so small! It felt like one of those sandboxes children play in instead of a vast desert. Otherwise it was neat, with the half-buried crashed aeroplane and stuff. More of that type of atmosphere, please!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Any way to not have to kill Dean?

I've talked him out of all that turf, so I didn't had to kill him. Was pretty easy with my level 28 character, as I've got all important skills maxed out already. So no skill check was a problem in Dead Money.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Also, regarding Dean:

I had to kill him myself in my playthrough but I read somewhere that you must be 100% nice to him in every convo option from the point where you meet him if you want to avoid combat with him.

I really liked Dead Money, thought it was really neatly designed and constructed. But I also agree with mkreku in that I hope we'll some more free environs in upcoming DLCs as well.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Don't get me wrong, I think the open world worked fine in the main game, but having played that several times I did appreciate Dead Money as something very fresh. I do agree about the Villa area being hard to navigaet, but I thought it fit the theme of the place nicely.

I hope that Honest Hearts will give some more freedome in walking around and doing stuff. Especially if we are really going to see New Canaan.

OK, this has absolutely nothing to do with Dead Money or any DLC, but.. For some reason I'm replaying New Vegas again, this time making an awesome energy weapons girl. I did the 50 star caps mission and got Pew pew and thought, "Wow, this little thing one shots everything in this game" and was very happy.. until I realized it takes 15 ammo per shot! I burn through batteries faster than an entire Wasteland brothel full of vibrators and hookers.

OK, this has absolutely nothing to do with Dead Money or any DLC, but.. For some reason I'm replaying New Vegas again, this time making an awesome energy weapons girl. I did the 50 star caps mission and got Pew pew and thought, "Wow, this little thing one shots everything in this game" and was very happy.. until I realized it takes 15 ammo per shot! I burn through batteries faster than an entire Wasteland brothel full of vibrators and hookers.

Yeah, it's a weird little balance thing that Obsidz did with energy weapons. Rather than have some high-end rare ammo types like Guns does (45-70, 12 ga., etc.), they have the top-end weapons use the standard ammo, but take multiple units per shot. (Also, if you're on hardcore, energy ammo is relatively heavy.) I don't think there's anything else as extreme as Pew-Pew, but some other weapons like the Gauss Rifle take 4 or 5 per shot.

My E-weaps character used the Q-35 as his primary weapon. Good for all-around use-- decent DAM, pretty high RoF, slow degrade rate, pretty common repair parts, and only takes 1 MFC per shot. Pair with a scoped LR to use at range (and a Gauss or its unique variant in the late game), and you have most of your bases covered.

Having them take more ammo per shot is the only way to really balance them. I don't remember the details right now, but there was some discussion short after FNV release about this and it came kind of to the conclusion, that you simply cannot balance various weapons in a good way, without having them eat more than one bullet / energy cell per shot.

i think it makes sense, particularly for the energy weapons, it was actually something I modded into fallout 3 myself and was happy to see implemented in new vegas.

as much as I love new vegas, Im going to wait for all the dlc to come out before buying them, i need more time before replaying the game, and when i do replay it I want to hit all the dlc in one playthrough.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The Vault is a wiki. Sometimes people add stuff and people don't notice/don't delete/fix it.

As for why they put that date, guy noticed a released for opposition date for Honest Hearts on Trademarkia, posted news blog on the Vault saying that was the release date of Honest Hearts though unconfirmed by Bethesda, Ausir noticed it, added a note saying that it was a released for opposition date and not a release date and took it out of the news section and back to the guy's blog section.

Link..

Thanks for the tips. When I finally had the chance to play the game for a bit, I got the news signal you mentioned right away. I played a little of it off a saved game, but I decided to go ahead and start a new game. Guess I'm giving up sleep for Lent this year.

Obsidian Plays

I just have to say.. I am still finding new quests and locations in Fallout: New Vegas that I did not find before. I never cared for the companions either (except ED-E) so I had not seen their quests. Now I've done the ones for Veronica and Cass.. I don't feel like I had missed anything spectacular, but it's still nice to find new things. Maybe I'll try out Arcade, Boone, Raul and that big mutant grandma too later. Did I forget anyone? I once changed brain on Rex.. is that his quest? I think I accidentally gave him a faulty brain.

I had never noticed that the counterfeiter's shack had a basement before.. Again, no big deal, but a nice find.

I had never fully explored the Guardian camp (and caves) before. Found the one quest there and all those notes lying around. Another nice find (and a cool new recipe for a weapon).

Found and did the corpse retrieval "quest" (it has neither a formal start nor end).. I wish it had some sort of reward at least.

I'm probably the last person on earth, but I found the Big Big Love quest and finished that one. I had always entered Gomorrah already involved in some other quest and never bothered to enter the courtyard before. Very easy and no twists, but still a fun find.

The first time I played New Vegas I found a named teddy bear in the Boomer's place, but I never found anywhere to use it. This time I found a girl who wanted a teddy bear, but I can not remember where I found it. Grr.

Still having fun with it!