FO: NV (General Discussion)

CoM_Solaufein

waaah waaaah not every company has as much money as blizzard waaah waaaaaaaaaaaaah.

that's all i could see in that snippet. Maybe it just came out wrong and he meant something else.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

... I promise it's not just a "Boone video." :p

Tho I did want to put in more random npc's...I mean there's Thorn & the sewers and the camps but songs aren't long enough to get everyone in there, grrr (some npc's just won't dance either, or look like crap if they do)...now I can spend the weekend cleaning out the gajillion temp. files.... good times, good OCD times.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Even though these dance videos are getting old pretty fast, it's still kind of hypnotical. :>

Plus, it makes me wish I could dance like that. /stiffman

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Ms. Crimson, we need to get you some help. It's time for an intervention.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Going to do a funcroc:

Fallout: New Vegas' first game add-on, Dead Money, is now available for download on PSN and Steam. The content is available on both platforms for $9.99.

In the coming weeks, we'll keep you posted on new information for Fallout: New Vegas game add-on content.

Info on the new DLCs?

Ms. Crimson, we need to get you some help. It's time for an intervention.

lol...I know. This video stuff has me by the...well, I'm female, never mind. On the plus side, I finally learned all that virtualdub can really do. Thumbs up.

Going to try my hand at video cameras again too. I'd forgotten how frustratingly fun video editing is for someone like me...then I bought this PC...need a few more TB's of hard drive space tho...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've been following J.E.Sawyer's formspring for a while, and boy there are so many stupid people out there that just have to ask a stupid question to make them look even more stupid... I mean, I always knew there were, but seeing so many in one place is just depressing. and all of them think FO3 is better than NV, for the stupidest reasons. I'm afraid Obsidian will never become a successful company, not with that kind of consumers

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I've been following J.E.Sawyer's formspring for a while, and boy there are so many stupid people out there that just have to ask a stupid question to make them look even more stupid... I mean, I always knew there were, but seeing so many in one place is just depressing. and all of them think FO3 is better than NV, for the stupidest reasons. I'm afraid Obsidian will never become a successful company, not with that kind of consumers

By all accounts FO:NV has sold extremely well. If DS3 does as well, then Obs is in good shape as far as having a reputation as a successful developer.

The relationship with Sega was appears to have been a disaster, but other than that, Obs has done all rigght for itself.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

i'm a bit skeptical about DS3's ability to succeed, not due to obsidian, but due to the fact that that IP has been little more than trash for the last ten years.

I think, based on the sales of FNV, that if obsidian can get something else released of that quality, without the bug problems that new vegas had, they should be in a MUCH better position than they are now. but still, I hate to think what might have happened had new vegas been a total flop...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i'm a bit skeptical about DS3's ability to succeed, not due to obsidian, but due to the fact that that IP has been little more than trash for the last ten years.

I agree. It's not a slamdunk success by a long shot. Hopefully, it's a modestly budgeted title and isn't expected to blow the doors off in terms of sales numbers.

But if it does sell very well, it's a huge win for Obs, maybe even more so than the success of NV.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There's so many slashers coming out this year (Kingdoms of Amalur, Hunted: Demon's Forge, Dark Souls and who knows what else) with a lot more marketing and hype behind them, that DS3 is probably going to be overlooked.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

not if it comes out first it won't

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

DA2 is trying to sell itself as a "true RPG" and teh Witcher doesn't have a team following you :x

Walsingham said:

... I promise it's not just a "Boone video." :lol:

Tho I did want to put in more random npc's...I mean there's Thorn & the sewers and the camps but songs aren't long enough to get everyone in there, grrr (some npc's just won't dance either, or look like crap if they do)...now I can spend the weekend cleaning out the gajillion temp. files.... good times, good OCD times.

That's just ... odd. :x

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

• 2 weeks later...

J.R. Vosovic's blog: GDC Post - A Clarification

Hello new followers, if you are here for 40K ramblings, welcome! If you are here re: the GDC post, I'd like to clarify a couple of things.

The words I used were harsh, but also an exaggeration. At no time did I ever feel anything unreasonable was asked of me during my employment at Obsidian Entertainment.

OEI was and remains to be the best company I have worked for. The Game Industry is notorious for its 'Crunch' and when I said 'FNV Crunch crushed my will to live...' it was intended as a joke and a gross exaggeration. (and an excuse as to why I didn't finish personal projects, when the truth was I just didn't feel like working on them.)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a couple of ideas kicking around in my head I'd like to offer as unsolicited advice:

NV is a great game, but doesn't quite hit it out of the ballpark. As is customary, I blame the publisher for not giving Obsidian enough money/time. Specifically, the 2 problems I see are

a) Too many filler quests, not enough substantial quests

b) A related and thus a greater problem, the plot isn't that good. The initial stuff with

Howard Hughes

is interesting but then it just goes into a rival factions competition, which isn't a story as much as a device. To make matters worse, a lot of the main story quests don't really have anything to do with the story. Those should've been sidequests, while the main story quests should've actually advanced the story in a meaningful way. It seems to me with all the good writers Obsidian has they should be able to come up with a better plot, or hire a book writer for the plot if all else fails.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I somewhat agree. There's plenty of good quests who are marred either by a disingenuous use of the engine (making you trek through areas with a lot of loading screens) and some quests who just are too thin on content. That said, many quests were entertaining for their writing at least the first time, and the way they intertwine makes them more bearable than the usual fetch quest. But I definitely longed for meatier sidequest, a-l

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I somewhat agree. There's plenty of good quests who are marred either by a disingenuous use of the engine (making you trek through areas with a lot of loading screens) and some quests who just are too thin on content. That said, many quests were entertaining for their writing at least the first time, and the way they intertwine makes them more bearable than the usual fetch quest. But I definitely longed for meatier sidequest, a-l

Hate the living, love the dead.

yes, the quests in fallout 3 are pretty poor compared to the ones in new vegas. new vegas had a multitude of quests ranging from simple to complex, whereas fallout 3 had a handful of longer quests, but they were mostly pretty flat.

What? Fallout 3 had meatier sidequests? Pretty much the only sidequests that come to my mind are retarded Big Town/Little Lamplight quests, Moira's (the most annoying npc ever) quests and the one with some guys pretending to be vampires...

I would give both quality and quantity to FNV over FO3.

With the exclusion of the Big Town/Little Lamplight quest, all of the quests you cited are generally longer than the typical FO:NV quest. Granted, I prefer FO:NV's design, but I don't think Fallout 3's quests are as bad as you guys make them to be, not by any stretch. Even Vince D. Weller praised them, and there's a reason.

What? Fallout 3 had meatier sidequests? Pretty much the only sidequests that come to my mind are retarded Big Town/Little Lamplight quests, Moira's (the most annoying npc ever) quests and the one with some guys pretending to be vampires...

With the exclusion of the Big Town/Little Lamplight quest, all of the quests you cited are generally longer than the typical FO:NV quest. Granted, I prefer FO:NV's design, but I don't think Fallout 3's quests are as bad as you guys make them to be, not by any stretch. Even Vince D. Weller praised them, and there's a reason.

than the "typical" new vegas quest sure, but you're overlooking the fact that if NV has 100 quests, and 80 are short, and 20 are long, thats still 10x more quests and content than in F3, which has 20 long quests, and no short ones. (note: numbers are made up)

if you're saying that you wish new vegas had less quests, so that the long ones stood out better, fine, but thats not what most people wanted in a new game.

than the "typical" new vegas quest sure, but you're overlooking the fact that if NV has 100 quests, and 80 are short, and 20 are long, thats still 10x more quests and content than in F3, which has 20 long quests, and no short ones. (note: numbers are made up)

if you're saying that you wish new vegas had less quests, so that the long ones stood out better, fine, but thats not what most people wanted in a new game.

I just wished the balance was skewed in favor of more involved quests. Less quests but longer overall. I'm still pretty pleased with the game quests but I think they can still improve.

I'm playing through Fallout 3 again right now, it's pretty striking how much Bethesda give you to do, sure, a lot of it feels like pointless derpery but they really know how to fill a world with time sinks.

Tell you what I really miss in New Vegas, random encounters, Fallout 3 has a silly amount of random little events that can happen pretty much anywhere, like wastelanders fighting over water, guys trying to disarm landmines, inept highwaymen, raiders playing baseball or conducting a hazing ritual.

Edited by WDeranged