FO: NV (General Discussion)

Pidesco

Well, part of the voice acting for me is realizing that 90% of the NCR quest characters share their voices and the voices of half the male settlers in the area.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

LOL....I noticed that very quickly as well. And yes it is a bit distracting. I guess I just ignore it now. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, part of the voice acting for me is realizing that 90% of the NCR quest characters share their voices and the voices of half the male settlers in the area.

I did find something funny when I walked into Mojave last night and talked to the NCR troops. Well I guess they really are an army of one.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

WHen it comes to VOs for npcs do people prefer the Bethie version in which one voice actor does a huge number of voices, ranging from major npcs to generic townsfolk? Or do you think it would be better to just have dialogue floats for generic npcs (ie no VO for minor characters) and save the voice actors for just major quest-significant NPCS?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

WHen it comes to VOs for npcs do people prefer the Bethie version in which one voice actor does a huge number of voices, ranging from major npcs to generic townsfolk? Or do you think it would be better to just have dialogue floats for generic npcs (ie no VO for minor characters) and save the voice actors for just major quest-significant NPCS?

I'd rather have no VO for minor NPC's. But I enjoy reading, so that puts me in the minority.

just in case you didn't see it yet, makes me wish we could actually have dance parties in the game

LMFAO

Best.. video... EVER!

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

the PC in that video is somewhat on the creepy side

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I personally would prefer that fluff text be just that, text. But when you're getting quests from guys who have the same voice 8 billion times it's annoying. It's like they have 1 guy who does 90% of the voices for the quest guys, and the other 10% are all individuals. I'd be ok if there was one voice for the random "NCR Trooper" characters, but when the NCR trooper has the same voice as his brothers in arms, commander, commanders commander, and then the Commander of his enemy and the seditious alien from another planet.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I tend not to notice, though that's partly because I click through 90% of the time (basically anytime I'm not multitasking, e.g. dinner or phone call). Bearing that in mind I'd be happy with no voice acting whatsoever besides the usual "ooph!" and "augh!"s of battle. That said, unless cutting voice allows for adding other stuff to the game I'm happy leaving it as is.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The thing that bothered me the most about the voice acting was how they had these one-liners that were dependent on where you were in the main quest line. All of a sudden all the NCR soldiers started saying the exact same thing, for example, "I heard we took back Nelson, maybe we can win this war after all". But what was weird, to me, was that every soldier said the exact same thing, despite having different voice actors.

I could click on a female solider and she'd say her main story one-liner, then I'd click on a male soldier and he'd say the exact same thing, word for word, as the female soldier, but with a different voice. When they went through the trouble of having the different voice actors record all those one liners, couldn't they have put a note on the one-liner manuscript saying "improvise around this"? Just let different people word it slightly differently, like we do in real life. Hearing everyone say the exact same sentence, over and over, was very creepy.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I tend not to notice, though that's partly because I click through 90% of the time

exactly. I read the first 2 words of the dialogue and click, takes a second, more often I just click through 'til the answer options show up. usually characters don't even get a chance to say a single word. voiceovers are the biggest waste of developers' time and money

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Getting back to the BoS topics, has anyone gotten the more open minded paladin in charge and seen any BoS patrols in the wastes afterward? I am not sure if that was just talk on his part once he takes over or it does happen and I just kept missing those patrols my first play though.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I tend not to notice, though that's partly because I click through 90% of the time

exactly. I read the first 2 words of the dialogue and click, takes a second, more often I just click through 'til the answer options show up. usually characters don't even get a chance to say a single word. voiceovers are the biggest waste of developers' time and money

So you read the first two words and then click away the dialogue.. and you think the voiceovers is the problem?

The problem is that you're playing the wrong game. If you play a RPG and don't even bother to read the text, you probably should find a genre better suited for you, voiceovers or not.

So you read the first two words and then click away the dialogue.. and you think the voiceovers is the problem?

the problem is, voiceovers are part of the reason I tend to skip dialogue. it has nothing to do with the type of the game. you're misinterpreting my words

Walsingham said:

Getting back to the BoS topics, has anyone gotten the more open minded paladin in charge and seen any BoS patrols in the wastes afterward? I am not sure if that was just talk on his part once he takes over or it does happen and I just kept missing those patrols my first play though.

I think they never show up because they might engage in fights with any NCR they'd encounter otherwise, and wipe the NCR out (regardless of the Helios One shoehorn, the Brotherhood can't possibly lose a fight against the NCR in the actual game, save maybe several veteran rangers) which might break some quests.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

the problem is, voiceovers are part of the reason I tend to skip dialogue. it has nothing to do with the type of the game. you're misinterpreting my words

Well, feel free to explain why voiceovers make you not even read the dialogue in a RPG. If you would have written that you listened to two words, I would have understood, because then you probably just read faster than the voiceovers can speak (like most of us do). But you specifically wrote that you only READ two words, the voiceovers aren't even audible, before you click away the dialogue.

Why?

I read too fast for the voiceovers, which is fine with me, but I don't know why voiceovers would make you not read the text. :/

With nerfed XP & an Explosives character with only 35 guns the wasteland is getting quite tough. Veronica, even with Paladin Toaster and Power Armour, gets her health run down fairly quickly by some of the enemies and I just feel like explosives don't do enough damage, even with 2 ranks of 20% damage perk, to justify how scarce they are. I had to lob away most of my grenades with the launcher to survive

Vault 34

. Well, it makes it challenging, definitely...

Going to go see Caesar, delayed doing any

mccarran / forlorn hope-nelson / other NCR

quests to see if I can sabotage them as a Legion person.

Why?

because it's easy to deduce what was written there from your possible replies. it's not a book, so I don't care how it was written. sure, I can miss a good joke or something, but it also saves me the frustration from reading a poorly written line (Two Worlds 2 is a perfect example)

EDIT: oh, as for voiceovers, they're put into the game not to make the experience "cinematic" but to let people not read the text and pay attention to what's going on on the screen. while it's perfectly understandable in a cut-scene, making the dialogue fully voiced is just a waste of resources. and it does break my concentration when I'm actually reading the lines, so if there's no option to turn the voice off, I always skip the dialogue for the reasons stated above

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I could click on a female solider and she'd say her main story one-liner, then I'd click on a male soldier and he'd say the exact same thing, word for word, as the female soldier, but with a different voice.

I actually had it that I clicked on a male soldier and he said his main story one-liner, then I clicked on a female soldier and I got the same one-liner...in the exact same voice as the male soldier! :lol:

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I could click on a female solider and she'd say her main story one-liner, then I'd click on a male soldier and he'd say the exact same thing, word for word, as the female soldier, but with a different voice.

I actually had it that I clicked on a male soldier and he said his main story one-liner, then I clicked on a female soldier and I got the same one-liner...in the exact same voice as the male soldier! :)

That reminds me of Boiling Point, where a character conducted an entire conversation with a different voice actor for each line.

The thing that bothered me the most about the voice acting was how they had these one-liners that were dependent on where you were in the main quest line. All of a sudden all the NCR soldiers started saying the exact same thing, for example, "I heard we took back Nelson, maybe we can win this war after all". But what was weird, to me, was that every soldier said the exact same thing, despite having different voice actors.

I could click on a female solider and she'd say her main story one-liner, then I'd click on a male soldier and he'd say the exact same thing, word for word, as the female soldier, but with a different voice. When they went through the trouble of having the different voice actors record all those one liners, couldn't they have put a note on the one-liner manuscript saying "improvise around this"? Just let different people word it slightly differently, like we do in real life. Hearing everyone say the exact same sentence, over and over, was very creepy.

lol.

That's known as Bethesda Dalogue Syndrome, aka BDS.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.