BioWare's New Game

Maria Caliban

About liking ME2 - I felt that it was a satisfactory followup to the first game, which I loved. The story elements presented seemed to flow well from game 1 to game 2 and I enjoyed running around and shooting things*. It gave some interesting areas to explore and I enjoyed interacting with the NPCs on the ship. It also didn't have any major bugs that I saw, which is a plus.

*I should note that I'm not a FPS player, generally, and it may be that aspects of the game that regular FPS players find intolerable I don't (and wouldn't) notice.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

makes sense. this is never enough for me (aside from the lack of bugs, which is always a good sign)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Not directly comparable of course, but my personal feeling was that yes, ME2 was a poor RPG mixed with a competent shooter, which translated to a better experience than the original's poor RPG - poor shooter mix. Storytelling redresses part of the balance of course, but I personally don't weigh it enough to alter the overall comparison.

* I should also note that I'm not an FPS player, at all, and end up flailing wildly at the air when I attempt to play from that perspective. Played ~95% of New Vegas in 3rd person view. Probably something to do with the diminished situational awareness triggering some sort of panic reflex.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Purkake gave an example of the type of downer ending he'd like to see. What's the joke? That he wouldn't like that type of ending? That he was purposely offering up a cliche despite arguing against cliches? Because as Di says claiming "it was a joke" just comes across as a way to avoid backing up what you say.

What's the joke ? Hm, I dunno maybe the entire post ? I'm not really in his head, but I did chuckle a bit reading his post.

I'm a big fan of Purkake's humorous posts, but I didn't pick up on it this time. Ah well :)

As for ME2, I found it very rewarding. My actions from ME1 were addressed time and time again, even if it was just a little email. It was a nice bit of reminiscence. It wasn't much in terms of story progression, but I accept that it was creating a bridge between the first game and the finale. Now I expect the third game to be a great finish, so hopefully that will be met.

You don't lose anything, I think. ME2 may be the worse gaming investment I made this year. It's kind of a mix between a poor FPS, a RPG with poor mechanics and a level of storytelling equal to the one of NWN OC. I can't even understand how people can love it. With some games I disliked, I may understand why other people love them.

My FemShep could scrog Garrus.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The moment you had the first few bars of "I am the very model of a scientist salarian" was total ME2 win. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The ME1 inventory was a POS. At least on PC.

It was pretty horrible on the xpox as well.

Also the console interface wass piss-poor, lousy button management resulted in stuff like not being able to give individual orders to team mates etc. - stuff which I believe was all in the PC port.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

while eveything Morgoth said is true, the mission design was bad, the character progression was even worse, the story? please don't get me started.

I'm beginning to understand why people like ME2 so much.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I spend over 100+ hours watching 24, don't think I ever saw a happy ending there...

Also, I had to reload over 5 times playing my single ME2 playthrough due to gamebreaking bugs... So, definitely not 'not buggy' to me.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The ME1 inventory was a POS. At least on PC.

It was pretty horrible on the xpox as well.

Also the console interface wass piss-poor, lousy button management resulted in stuff like not being able to give individual orders to team mates etc. - stuff which I believe was all in the PC port.

It was in the PC port because the 360 players beta tested the game for them, and they improved on some of the complaints.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

. It got people talking which is the whole poiont of marketing.

:lol: I thought the point of marketing was to get people to buy stuff, not discuss it. I discuss iPhones with my friends all the time, but there's no way I'm paying 1000 dollars for a phone/organizer

Having people actively following and discussing your product is a great way to get people to buy said product because it raises brand awareness.

. It got people talking which is the whole poiont of marketing.

:lol: I thought the point of marketing was to get people to buy stuff, not discuss it. I discuss iPhones with my friends all the time, but there's no way I'm paying 1000 dollars for a phone/organizer

Having people actively following and discussing your product is a great way to get people to buy said product because it raises brand awareness.

And the fact that everybody who can't afford it is talking about it is probably going to drive a lot of people with excess cash (or a lack of common sense) into buying one.

Or, what you said, but less eloquently. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

ME2 was in pretty much every way superior to ME1. Better art direction, better combat mechanics, better writing and characters.

I am inclined to agree that Mass Effect 2 was superior to the original. I can understand arguing that it was a worse RPG, but not that it was a worse game.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

ME2 was in pretty much every way superior to ME1. Better art direction, better combat mechanics, better writing and characters.

I am inclined to agree that Mass Effect 2 was superior to the original. I can understand arguing that it was a worse RPG, but not that it was a worse game.

Maybe the writing was better, but the story got really stupid with all the retconning and plot holes.

I'd point them all out (again), but you can easily just read Shamus Young's take on it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

ME1 was a good RPG

indeed it was :( a lot of people considered it the RPG of the year.

Walsingham said:

There were good points and bad points to its rpg-ness.

But it was an entertaining and enjoyable game.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

But it was an entertaining and enjoyable game.

Also, it had a story.

Something ME2 lacked.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

true. I'm not supposed to understand. it just clicks with some people :ermm:

what I want to know is why? :shifty:

I wish I had an explanation why I've enjoyed playing it so much. I don't, I never do, not for ME(2), not for Deus Ex, not for Baldur's Gate 2. I just know what I like, and a bunch of internet know-it-alls won't change that for me. They might lessen my enjoyment for talking abou the games, but not for playing them.

This. I loved ME1 and I loved ME2. I've played them multiple times, and will continue to play them. Then again, I play all the games I love to death... Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate 2, Jagged Alliance 2, even Gothic 3! I can't explain why I get immersed in these games and enjoy playing them. It shouldn't really matter. Different people like different things.

But I also agree that coming to this forum and listening to people drone on about how horrible they are, how crappy they are, and imply that anyone who doesn't agree that said games are horrible and crappy must be some kind of mentally inferior jackwagon who wouldn't know decent writing and game design if it squatted on their foot and peed does tend to make me come here less often, and be less willing to post an opinion.

Fortunately there are usually a few intellectually superior types who agree with me, and make it all worthwhile. :lol: