FO: NV (Spoilers)

CoM_Solaufein

The earlier Fallouts never had to worry about the third dimension and their maps sucked at least as hard.

But I still don't know how you can get lost with all the little arrows pointing you in the right direction all the time. I guess you guys are the reason why there are games like Fable, with its breadcrumb trail..

The little arrows point the wrong way in multiple levels.

The little arrows had me literally running in a big circle at one point, I was relieved when Darn released his UI so I could disable it, if I'm going to dash around like a muppet for half an hour I'll do it under my own steam :p

Allllriighhtt. Maybe games today should come with GPS navigators to guide people. Maybe every copy of FO-NV should come with a Josh Sawyer to sit next to you and hold your hand?

"Turn left from here"

"Um.. Mr. Sawyer? Which way is left?

:p

Exactly, I get lost in real life but I rarely have a problem navigating FNV. Especially with the compass - which I'd disable, but it's convenient for (a) deeply hidden caves that you can only reach by going round and round impassable mountain rocks in a specific pattern, and (b) fetch quests.

Just found and cleared the Deathclaw infested plateau east-east-southeast of the Techatticup Mine, across the river. But where on earth are the bloody helmets?

I could never find the place, goddammit

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Go to Cottonwood Cove, cross the river to see whats on that side, meet some lurks, move a bit north and (if you are unlucky like me) get owned by the paratrooper deathclaw squad :D (oh I suppose i forgot my head somewhere else...) . I assaulted the place just because of that little incident

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

I was trying to get to the Fort, not realizing it was impossible until you got to a certain point in the story, when I stumbled onto that place across the river. Fortunately I had a Gauss Rifle and a high score in energy weapons so I was able to clear it out no problem.

Talking to Sirus for Boyd when you have a high Speech is a much different conversation than the one for high INT. I actually enjoyed it better, made Sirus seem less arrogant/slightly more grey or something. Still an ass, but I mean relatively. I guess he required an 8 INT because I have 7INT and the option didn't even show up...anyway, that was refreshing to have such a dramatic change in the dialogue for a different skill/stat option, vs. the sometimes small changes a lot of the other times.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Getting lost IRL is not the same as getting lost in a computer game. The real world is not made out of the same 20 wall tiles now is it.

Humaoid beat me to it, but I think the 1970's as a decade were definitely built out of the same twenty concrete wall tiles.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Lexx: I have the armors but strangely, no one wearing PA have helmets (as their default loot.)

Except the female paladin with grenade machine gun (had T-46 and it's helmet) None of the Brotherhood paladins seem to wear helmets. No wonder they couldn't hold their ground against NCR [/sarcasm].

ATM my private armory consists of;

1x T-45d (Brotherhood)

4x T-51b (Brotherhood)

1x T-51b (Pre-war)

1x Remnants PA (Shouldn't it be PA Mk2?)

....and only 2 helmets...

I love the high speech option for the ending anyhow. I mean, I did have to fight all the Legion folks anyhow, but I convinced both the Legate and the general to back off without a shot fired between us. My most recent build is 10 int and built just to see how easy it is to break the skills. Not to be a jerk about it, just out of curiosity. Frankly, even if I do break the skills, it won't be grounds for bitching anyhow.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Cantousent:

10 int

*Good Natured

Educated (+2 skill points starting from lvl 5)

Comprehension (extra 52(53*) skill points and +20 temp boost from magazines)

*Tag (+15 skill points)

If you are willing to use magazines for checks, you can get by with 64 in non-combat skills and explosives. This way you can create a jack of all trades.

*If you are willing to use only 1 or 2 combat skills, then Good Natured allows a nice reallocation

I've been avoiding the general voice actor lists for the game, because I don't like to have preconceptions in my head....but I finally went and looked through it. Some of them I recognized (or at least thought they sounded very familiar, like Kristofferson) but the actual list had me smiling.

Michael Dorn? Didn't see that one. Wil Wheaton instantly knew. Rene Auberjonois, too. lol, Star Trek.

Dave Foley, William Sadler, Alex Rocco, Ron Perlman? Totally awesome.

Felicia Day is awesome too, even if I didn't love Veronica.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Good Natured is almost broken. Even if you don't want to break the skills, the benefit in points by far outweighs the cost. I mean, most players probably use one or two weapon skills and you can invest in those weapon skills right away to make up the difference. Meanwhile, unless you don't use a variety of non-weapon skills, you'll definitely use most of the skill bumps you get. I went the exact route you suggest. In that order. :Cant's wide grin icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I used Good Natured a couple times, it's a good one. Lately I use both the Four Eyes and the Small Build so I can put more points in the SPECIAL I want w/out sacrificing those stats too much.

I noticed that with 7 INT, the amount of skill pts. per level goes up and down by 1 every other level. 13 one time, 14 the next, instead of always 14 like when I had 8INT. Interesting way to do things.

Also, if you do like to use companions, I really do notice a difference in their durability between fairly high charisma and very low charisma. The numbers for it might not seem that impressive, but gameplay wise it seems to be. So I like to keep that at a decent level. Obviously if you don't care about companion durability, then it's best to drop it low/much better uses for those stat points.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I'm going at 5STR 9AGL 4END 6CHA 6INT 9PER 3LCK, when factoring in Small Frame and the +SPECIAL perk thing. Explosives man with rifle backup. You really end up throwing things 40-50 miles are pretty much deadly accuracy (always funny when your dynamite hits the guy and it counts as a sneak attack). I've taken out a few tough encounters by coming at them from the hills above and raining down with dynamites, then hidinig behind rocks. Just now at level 8 I tackled the Viper encampment outside Novac, and that was quite tough - had to pull out the Incinerator and spray it around like nuts once they closed in.

VATS is still really weird though, when you target people with explosives they stand still or move veeery slowly, which makes sense as otherwise you'd never hit them; but other enemies move at normal speed (so, essentially, at super-speed), which makes it impractical sometimes. Though if you time it right or if they're not all aware of you, you can time some nice triple-kills that way.

Didn't know about the carry-over half skill points, that'd good to know - the typical rpg game mechanics have conditioned me into thinking even-points=good, odd-points=bad so I end up with a character with either 4, 6 or 8 points in each stat.

With skills I also tend to compulsively raise them in multiples of 5, which result in the counterproductive practice of tossing a spare point or two in a less useful skill.

I'm not familiar with most of the voice talent in NV and I think I like it that way, very few character preconceptions that way. Not so say instantly recognising Malcolm McDowell in FO3 wasn't cool, but in my mind's eye I end up just seeing Admiral Tolwyn deliver all those lines. Vaguely recalled the name Felicia Day in some gaming news recently (no idea about the actor bit) and checked - random factoid: she's Codex Dragon from UDIC (the Ultima Dragons Internet Chapter) from way back in the early 90s.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G