FO: NV (Spoilers)

CoM_Solaufein

My Legion playthrough continues. The thing that always gets me is that every time I play 'evil/ruthless/etc', I feel like I'm only picking the other option to see how it goes - stupid as the ghouls were, for instance, I just sabotaged their rockets to explode and I just don't see how anybody would do that for any good reason, other than sheer maliciousness.

Also going solo until I pick up Veronica, as I tried Boone last time and a bit of ED-E & Cass. It's pretty brutal, I still only have 30 Guns and I can't usually survive tougher mobs like nightstalkers and cadazors in open ground.

I have 100 melee, using some sort of reinforced combat armour, a fully repaired Knock-Knock and I still have problems with deathclaws. It's their reach that kills me. I rush them, get in one or two hits and then they swing their long arms and push me away. I have some perk that sometimes makes them fall over, and that's basically the only chance I have of surviving. If there's two of them, I won't survive.. Unless I abuse the Pip-boy and burn through my Stimpaks.

It's more challenging, for sure, but I'm not sure I'm having more fun. It was infinitely more satisfying headshotting the deathclaws from half a mile away with the Gobi sniper rifle, without the rest of them even noticing me.

I still haven't decided which route I'll go for the end game. It's either House or Yesman.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, I'd view it as a fun/silly option - since I'm not sure how an evil dude would get to that point in the first place instead of just shooting them all as soon as you enter the facility. Then again such a character wouldn't likely bother visiting the facility in the first place. I suppose there's the insane character roleplay option but that's probably a bridge too far for me (hello chaotic neutral).

When I play the usual 'evil' runthrough the problem generally is skipping most of the content since the inclination would be to tell any questgivers to sod off (or shoot them in the head).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Found a bug or a way to break my old system's computing power:

sneak beside a door and wait for a hostile to come trough (Like rushing into the side chamber to deal with the mob of enemies in the last vault 11 room), equip a melee weapon and vats some attacks. My char gets teleported a bit (to his back, into the zone of fire of the turrets actually) and stands there doing nothing until getting lasered to death....

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

I have 100 melee, using some sort of reinforced combat armour, a fully repaired Knock-Knock and I still have problems with deathclaws. It's their reach that kills me. I rush them, get in one or two hits and then they swing their long arms and push me away. I have some perk that sometimes makes them fall over, and that's basically the only chance I have of surviving. If there's two of them, I won't survive.. Unless I abuse the Pip-boy and burn through my Stimpaks.

It's more challenging, for sure, but I'm not sure I'm having more fun. It was infinitely more satisfying headshotting the deathclaws from half a mile away with the Gobi sniper rifle, without the rest of them even noticing me.

I still haven't decided which route I'll go for the end game. It's either House or Yesman.

Same here. Even the thermic lance cant reach them. Except in VATS where it one shots them.

Curiously the alpha and mother deathclaws never charged me so I kicked their ass easy. The regular deathclaws are a nightmare.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

My female James Bond run was restarted last night. I lucked out and got a silencer for the varmint rifle.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

--Deathclaws from a distance are no problem. Up close they are definitely SuperBad, put there to knock the gamer-ego out of you. That ignoring DT thing is so not right. heh

--I've been 'testing' perks w/one character and Living Anatomy seems bugged? Or maybe I don't know how to use it? When I first picked/activated it and left the level up screen, I saw HP/DT numbers under my companion's health bar. Then I went into the world and I saw....nothing. No numbers or health bars anywhere. Not under companion name, not under enemy names (yes I got up close to them), not under NPC names.

--Higher charisma works well for companions, but that Ferocious Loyalty perk is useless. If I'm at 50% or lower health, it's usually because I'm also 1 second from death by a 2nd hit...and companions can't pull aggro away from you most of the time so...useless. I figured it would be, but had to check it out.

--Arcade has one of the best lines when you tell him to use melee. :lol: And why is he taller than everyone else, by default? Guess he's special.

--I finally figured out which setting controlled player height. I can no longer look through door peepholes, just like in real life. It's great!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm tellin' ya, alien blaster to the eye takes all the fight out of tall, dark, and nasty. Up close? I've never gone in much for up close, but if you're a melee type, you could put down a path of frag mines and lure the baddies over it I guess.

I have never been able to get Boone's damned quest line to start, and it's starting to piss me off. On the other hand, I like Boone's lines. In my current run, I accidently put him in my scope sights. He said, "yeah, let me aim my weapon at you and see how you like it." I still haven't found a lot of joinable npcs, though. I think I could get that deranged super mutant to join, and some blond haired doctor in the Ol' Mormon Fort. I wonder if I could get that idiot stick who thinks he's a ghould to join me. The one from the Come Fly With Me questline.

So far, I've only had ED-E, Boone, Veronica, and Cass join me. It would be so much easier if I could take two people instead of just ED-E and one other chump.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm not sure if you actually wanted spoilers so I'm covering them up:

Rex is with the King in Freeside, you talk to him about his dog & that starts the chain. Lily's in Jacobstown. I have yet to find/try Raul but I think he's in Black Mt...

There's a bunch of temporary ones that will follow you for short period of time, but I don't usually bother with those.

In terms of Boone....again not sure if you really wanted outright spoilers or not but here's the really big hints:Save any Legion hostages and kill/destroy Legion. Peaceful solutions to anti-Legion quests won't impress Boone.

Craigy does have quite a few rep-building quests (edit:&once u know what they are, easy to do early) but one problem is that at least two of them many people will do before even meeting him in Novac, so you can lose those opportunities very early in the game. There aren't many for him in the late-game stage so if you wait to hire him you may have done most of them already. Then there's that one where trying to gain the rep point may result in a bugged-out, locked-in-room Boyd, which is bad for other quests.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I still haven't found a lot of joinable npcs, though. I think I could get that deranged super mutant to join, and some blond haired doctor in the Ol' Mormon Fort. I wonder if I could get that idiot stick who thinks he's a ghould to join me. The one from the Come Fly With Me questline.

The blond-haired doctor is worth getting to know. He's my favorite of the companions I've chatted with so far. Interesting to talk to, and quite handy in a fight. (He uses a plasma defender, which has an insanely fast rate of fire. It's key drawback for the player is that it burns through ammo and degrades very fast, but neither are concerns for an NPC.)

Edited by Enoch

Arcade's default weapon is also "powerful" enough that it's difficult to get him to use anything else. But since it's a pretty good weapon I don't mind. :p

Well, yeah! I mean, if his default weapon is so good that you have a hard time finding something better.... well, that's terrible! hehehe

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, yeah! I mean, if his default weapon is so good that you have a hard time finding something better.... well, that's terrible! hehehe

:p

It's not that great killing wise, imo. But it is a good weapon. Sometimes I wish I could get him to use a laser rifle something, tho, either for tactic preferences or for kicks if nothing else....and he won't.

I'm kinda glad you can't melee Deathclaws. Who in their right mind would try that?

ha! :p so very true

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm kinda glad you can't melee Deathclaws. Who in their right mind would try that?

Of course you can melee Deathclaws.

It just takes few perks and a sensible weapon.

In fallout 1&2 it required a power armor but now that it is meaningless it easier than ever.

I found the Paladin Toaster about 2 minutes away from where you pick up Veronica, awesome. Had to use a precious stealth boy to walk round the Nightkin, but it's awesome to see lightning flare every time she throws a punch. Wonder how she'll fare against deathclaws, but I'd rather get her some power armour before I try....

She wont. DC's attacks pass through the best of armors. I have every damage threshold upgrade and perk available, and the remnants power armor and I still become mincemeat - if they stunlock me.

Otherwise I lose a chunk of health and they die.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I found some weapon called "pushy" that throws people all over the place. I armed Veronica with it. I just want to kill off folks as quickly as possible, though, so I usually just use my strongest weapon and try to kill them off before they can get too close. The Legenday Deathclaw was the only one that gave me problems with the blaster, though, and that's because I had to fight him and two others that came running up. Well, him and one other. I assassinated the first deathclawl right off the bat with a sneak attack. That cave puts everyone pretty much on top of each other, though.

Obsidian Plays

In fallout 1&2 it required a power armor but now that it is meaningless it easier than ever.

I watched a friend of mine melee a deathclaw to death in FO1 with a knife and the leather jacket.

Yeah, Deathclaws were an absolute death sentence in earlier levels in the other games. But you could definitely grow powerful enough to handle them fairly easily, just like in NV. And just like in NV, if you screwed up somehow, then it'd likely mean a quick death.

Just ended the game going with Mr House. Good lord did I feel smug after talking down the Legate, and General Oliver come stomping through praising me for taking the Legate down. To tell Oliver "sorry mate, I did this for Mr House, sign these papers" as the army of Securitrons rolled up behind him was just the most glorious :lol: move ever.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I watched a friend of mine melee a deathclaw to death in FO1 with a knife and the leather jacket.

Which one?

The respawning ones near gun runners would kill player in 2 criticals and attacked up to 3 times per turn so that would take plenty reloads for sever criticals to occur.

If you mean the quest releated one in hub then he was wounded at start IIRC.

I think the point/issue that most (or at least many) people don't build their characters with destroying DeathClaws hand to hand in mind. I sure don't. I still refuse to use melee/build with melee in mind, so it's nigh impossible for my chrs. Guns of some kind or nothing, baby, it's how I roll.

Edited by LadyCrimson