Fallout: New Vegas

J.E. Sawyer

Well, there is no doubt that a Fallout 4 from Bethesda will suck again. But hey, maybe we would see the Enclave again!

You'll probably kill me for this but I think there's potential for something good on the East Coast too. Just hire some better writers and keep the tweaks to the mechanics made by Obsidian for New Vegas.

If it's like Fallout 3 I guess I'll just wait for Obsidian's next spin-off.

Well, I don't mind to see a next Fallout game on the east coast. But damn. Bethesda just can't make good rpgs. What they make good is big sandbox worlds with editors for players to fill it up with sex and nude and lots of weapon mods.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

if beth does fallout 4 with a greatly improved engine, I hope they give the materials needed craft its "new vegas" equivelant to obsidian even earlier so that obsidian has as much time as possible to create their version of the game.

also: I really hope that new vegas does so incredibly well that obsidian gets a crack at making a "new vegas" for the next TES game too. I know obsidian would probably prefer making their own IP's, but I also like seeing them producing superior followups to big games.

imagine an Elder Scrolls game with real dialogue, improved mechanics, and a good story.... would be epic!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

imagine an Elder Scrolls game with real dialogue, improved mechanics, and a good story.... would be epic!

It would be Elder Scrolls game in the name only! IN THE NAME ONLY!!!

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

if beth does fallout 4 with a greatly improved engine, I hope they give the materials needed craft its "new vegas" equivelant to obsidian even earlier so that obsidian has as much time as possible to create their version of the game.

A stronger collaboration between the two teams would probably be very good and productive, but that's assuming Bethesda and Obsidian would want such a collaboration. Still, I wouldn't really mind.

also: I really hope that new vegas does so incredibly well that obsidian gets a crack at making a "new vegas" for the next TES game too. I know obsidian would probably prefer making their own IP's, but I also like seeing them producing superior followups to big games.

political-pictures-do-not-want-surprised-guy.jpg

Also, I can't see that happening unless Zenimax buys Obsidian too.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

You'll probably kill me for this but I think there's potential for something good on the East Coast too. Just hire some better writers and keep the tweaks to the mechanics made by Obsidian for New Vegas.

If it's like Fallout 3 I guess I'll just wait for Obsidian's next spin-off.

But that would mean they would actually have to change up. Change is bad. And when I think about the comments they made about writing and writers in computer games I just don't see Bethesda actually focusing on the writing elements. And let's not forgetl Fallout 3 won an award for writing! Why change anything :rolleyes:

Hate the living, love the dead.

Beth just has to make a good combat system. I always thought of Elder Scrolls as being more of a hack'n'slash game than a RPG. If they make it somewhat similar to Severance, with different combos for different weapons, with a good spellcasting system, it'll be the best game for me, better than anything. a Diablo 3 killer :rolleyes: I think this is what they should focus on. and leave the writing to people who are actually good at it

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Considering the crap introduced by the TES novels, I don't have much hope for TES V.

morrowinddaysbysnowskad.jpg

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The big problem with Bethesda as an rpg designer is that they can't do combat and they can't do writing. Which doesn't leave much left to hang your rpg hat on.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The big problem with Bethesda as an rpg designer is that they can't do combat and they can't do writing. Which doesn't leave much left to hang your rpg hat on.

They also have crappy engine - Gamebryo

Ok, now the good news. iD software fixes engine issue with their Id Tech 5 (used for Rage currently) and they have probably the best knowledge in the game industry about how to create good FPS combat mechanics. Now only writing sucks. Obsidian could help with that :p

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/art/jobs-navm...n-20100916.html

Nav/Mesh Intern

Friday, 17 September 2010 13:26

We are searching for an enthusiastic nav/mesh intern to layout navigation meshes and do level design for Fallout: New Vegas, a console action-based role-playing game.

This process entails terrain sculpting and painting, placement of Nav/Mesh in the environment, and placement of game objects on the world map. When not performing these duties, the intern will be expected to play the game, provide quality-assurance level feedback, and help fix bugs in the design.

http://www.obsidian.net/jobs/art/jobs-navm...n-20100916.html
Nav/Mesh Intern

Friday, 17 September 2010 13:26

We are searching for an enthusiastic nav/mesh intern to layout navigation meshes and do level design for Fallout: New Vegas, a console action-based role-playing game.

This process entails terrain sculpting and painting, placement of Nav/Mesh in the environment, and placement of game objects on the world map. When not performing these duties, the intern will be expected to play the game, provide quality-assurance level feedback, and help fix bugs in the design.

Considering the game has already been content complete since E3 it's pretty obvious that it's for DLC.

Considering the game has already been content complete since E3 it's pretty obvious that it's for DLC.

Or they might make another stand alone Fallout game set in the west coast to "milk" the franchise. We don't know if Fallout 4 is even in development yet and I don't think Zenimax would leave a series that sells alone for many years.

Edit: Nvm just read it again. It clearly says FNV :)

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

Or the game still has so many bugs, that they need more hands to fix everything... last minute. :lol:

I think this for sure might be fore DLCs. Let's just hope we will not see any Area 51 in any DLC. :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

My prediction: we will love Fallout: New Vegas, the reviews will say "it's all the same again but buggier" and award it 80+ scores. The general mass will not like it as much as Fallout 3 and it will only be a moderate success sales-wise. Fallout 4 by Bethesda themselves will be a huge hit, thus making the possibility of another Obsidian Fallout an impossibility.

You say Bethesda can't do writing or combat and their engine sucks.. But if you manage to look out of bizarro world where you live, you'll see that millions (!) of people loved Fallout 3 and THAT is what people judge anything Fallout related against now. Unless you're one of the twelve people who see NMA as the shining beacon of truth in this world.

I hope I am wrong. I hope Obsidian performs way and above what anyone expects. I hope they manage to find the right mix between accessibility and complexity. A game that suits both the old fans with is spectacular writing and story and the new fans with its finely tuned combat and.. uh.. achievements (I guess).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think it's not really sensible to continue to see the Fallout world or Fallout reception in this binary way that was only really close to accurate during roughly 2005-2007. What you're doing is conjuring an imaginary demographic of 'NMA' (which in fact reflects, yeah, only about 12 of the craziest people in NMA, thus making it tautological), pitting that against an equally imaginary silent majority, drawing a big fat line and saying 'where you at'.

Trying not to fall into that same trap, for instance, we can see that there is a sizable group of people who can see FO3's writing was pretty mediocre, but didn't really mind it and still liked the game as a whole. We know that a large portion of that group would probably consider buying F:NV, and once they do, a certain portion will recognise the better writing (well, probably) - and come out with a newfound hunger for better quality writing in games (or, of course, treat it as the icing on the cake).

I do think your perdiction is spot on, though, esp. that F:NV reviews will display another example of the hilariously distorted cultural memory in videogame journalism and say things like how F:NV is buggy and FO3 wasn't, F:NV is graphically inferior and FO3 wasn't, etc. But I think the really funny thing is, according to the kind of critique you've just given, you're essentially telling people that to frame their own opinions and standards of games in terms of how the companies have cultivated the market at this present time... is the right way to go. Surely the thinking is not "millions love FO3, that means Bethesda writing is 'good' by their standards, etc", but it should be, "millions love FO3 despite the writing - what does that mean about the place of writing in games, what games can get away with, and what people have been conditioned to expect".

Personally, what I expect from F:NV is like a K2 from K1: same game, same combat, same gameplay experience, but vastly superior writing/characters and a few cool improvements / fun stuff added on.... but hopefully without the bugs. :)

My prediction: we will love Fallout: New Vegas, the reviews will say "it's all the same again but buggier" and award it 80+ scores. The general mass will not like it as much as Fallout 3 and it will only be a moderate success sales-wise. Fallout 4 by Bethesda themselves will be a huge hit, thus making the possibility of another Obsidian Fallout an impossibility.

You say Bethesda can't do writing or combat and their engine sucks.. But if you manage to look out of bizarro world where you live, you'll see that millions (!) of people loved Fallout 3 and THAT is what people judge anything Fallout related against now. Unless you're one of the twelve people who see NMA as the shining beacon of truth in this world.

I hope I am wrong. I hope Obsidian performs way and above what anyone expects. I hope they manage to find the right mix between accessibility and complexity. A game that suits both the old fans with is spectacular writing and story and the new fans with its finely tuned combat and.. uh.. achievements (I guess).

Why are you thinking that NV will do less sales-wise than FO3? It's basically the same game with more weapons and a few new gameplay tweaks like weapon mods. ANybody who enjoyed FO3 should enjoy NV.

The only widespread complaints I've heard usually relate to the graphics and animations. WHich is pretty much not something Obs can do anything about in this instance.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The only widespread complaints I've heard usually relate to the graphics and animations. WHich is pretty much not something Obs can do anything about in this instance.

furthermore, animations is the last thing in a video game people should care about, graphics is second to last.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

How in hell does saying that they can't do combat and their engine sucks contradict the fact that they sell a lot? No one argued that, mkreku. Stop strawmanning for one, mkay?

EDIT : Also, F:NV may be the first Obsidian game to get combat right, and I'll stress, maybe, so it's not like Obsidian has a great track record either.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

How in hell does saying that they can't do combat and their engine sucks contradict the fact that they sell a lot? No one argued that, mkreku

I think the idea is that for all of the criticism places like this, and NMA and so forth, toss at Bethesda, they do seem to be giving gamers what they want in a game.

furthermore, animations is the last thing in a video game people should care about, graphics is second to last.

I disagree. Animation is very important in a video game. Watching people move in Oblivion always pulled me out of the game. They sort of jerked along like pupets.

Alternatively, the animation in the Prince of Persia series increased my enjoyment of it a great deal. The movement of the Prince's body as he navigates the game world is an important part of the experience.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.