Fallout: New Vegas

J.E. Sawyer

I was playing Mask of the Betrayer the other day and got to the point, where you get that green meter on the side of the screen. In just a couple of hours I got so sick of the spirit-eating mechanic, that in a state of rage I deleted the game and all my saves. yeah, I know that MotB is a great game, but I just couldn't bring myself to playing it.

and it just hit me: this is probably exactly how Obsidian is going to handle food in New Vegas (at least for the hardcore mode). it bothers me...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's probably one of the better vids around though so good to re-watch it. I don't know if they ever confirmed if the music was a part of the soundtrack but it does sound like it could fit right in. Plus I think I hear a sample from the Hub music in there. It sounds pretty damn good at any rate.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I was playing Mask of the Betrayer the other day and got to the point, where you get that green meter on the side of the screen. In just a couple of hours I got so sick of the spirit-eating mechanic, that in a state of rage I deleted the game and all my saves. yeah, I know that MotB is a great game, but I just couldn't bring myself to playing it.

and it just hit me: this is probably exactly how Obsidian is going to handle food in New Vegas (at least for the hardcore mode). it bothers me...

There's an awesome Let's play on teh internetz of MOTB that shows awesome the Spirit Eather mechanic can be if one plays with an Evil, "devour everything" type character.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

There's an awesome Let's play on teh internetz of MOTB that shows awesome the Spirit Eather mechanic can be if one plays with an Evil, "devour everything" type character.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/MotB/Update%2044/index.html

this one?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

How we handle food is more similar to how it's handled in STALKER: Call of Pripyat. You can carry food around with you, loot it off of dead bodies, buy it in stores. In MotB, spirit eating presented different logistical challenges. I don't think the feel of our H20/FOD/SLP meters is similar.

STALKER is how I pictured it working. It becomes another thing to balance in your inventory, another worry when you go exploring in the unknown, it makes you pay more attention to whats happening and makes the game more strategic and less "arcade".

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I liked it in Stalker, but I am a bit worried about it in NV, because of one simple point: The inventory. In Stalker, you saw all your items (mostly) at once and with image. So you open your inventory, see the image, double click on it and done. In Fallout 3, you needed to scroll down a damn big list to find what you want, then you have to activate the item.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I liked it in Stalker, but I am a bit worried about it in NV, because of one simple point: The inventory. In Stalker, you saw all your items (mostly) at once and with image. So you open your inventory, see the image, double click on it and done. In Fallout 3, you needed to scroll down a damn big list to find what you want, then you have to activate the item.

Same here. I liked the Stalker inventory, easy to use and requiring some management at the same time.

Anyways, it's good to hear the hunger system is handled in similiar manner.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I'll agree that the FO3 inventory is pretty clunky: too many tabs and too much scrolling plus not enough hot keys, but I can't see having to hit inventory for food and water periodically to be even remotely a big deal.

edit: And I'll just add, before mkreku calls me out, that however bad the FO3 inventory, FO1 and 2's inventory systems were far worse.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

ho-kay, I have no idea how food in STALKER works. never thought I'd play STALKER, but you just made me change my mind.

Walsingham said:

oh, that sounds... stupid :o why 8 hours? I'd expect at least every 2, and if you're "suppressing" the hunger, you get penalties. MotB system seems more logical, the only difference is you don't have to "hunt" your food

Walsingham said:

oh, that sounds... stupid :o why 8 hours? I'd expect at least every 2, and if you're "suppressing" the hunger, you get penalties. MotB system seems more logical, the only difference is you don't have to "hunt" your food

"Hm, the guy's hungry, better eat. *2 mins pass* And now he's sleepy, great. *sleeps 8 hours* Hungry again? Oh **** you!"

Yeah, getting hungry every two hours would've been sooo much fun. :p

wha... 1 hour equals 1 minute in real time? I thought more like 10 minutes. anyway, there should be some consequences to running around for 8 hours without eating. ilike your character is hungry and he's trying to make his way past a supermutant patrol using stealth. and when you're right behind them, your stomach goes "burrrp", revealing your position to muties.

Walsingham said:

wha... 1 hour equals 1 minute in real time? I thought more like 10 minutes. anyway, there should be some consequences to running around for 8 hours without eating. ilike your character is hungry and he's trying to make his way past a supermutant patrol using stealth. and when you're right behind them, your stomach goes "burrrp", revealing your position to muties.

Or flatulence if you ate the wrong food, or too much food, again revealing you to enemies with sharp senses.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

ahaha, yeah :o that would open new possibilities.

whenever I hear the term "survival-horror" I imagine a game where you have to actually survive, protect your home, keep it hidden, look for food, gas, look after your companions etc. like "I Am Legend: The Game", I wish New Vegas was that kind of game: a post-apocalyptic survival

on a side-note: anyone know if there's a mod to turn off the spirit-eater thing in MotB? :p

Walsingham said: