Fallout: New Vegas

J.E. Sawyer

edit: And I'll just add, before mkreku calls me out, that however bad the FO3 inventory, FO1 and 2's inventory systems were far worse.

No. In the Fallout 1 and 2 inventory you could see the item images as soon as you enter the inventory. You didn't have to scroll down the list to see the images and you didn't needed to read the item names (watching images always > watching text). Alsounlike in Fallout 3, you don't carry that much items with you around.

I don't understand it. Does it mean that the PC version get's extra / higher res textures or is what you see (i. e. on the screenshots or console version), the highest res textures that the pc version gets?

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I never implied that it did. I said, there's no survival in survival horror games, and New Vegas with it's need for food/drink/sleep seems like a shot at a real survival game that never was. I dream about the times when such a game gets released.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It'd be survival only if food & drink would actually be scarce. That won't be the case in FO:NV. I'm pretty sure food & drink won't be lying around everywhere like in FO3, but still one will simply be able to visit a shop when necessary and purchase whatever one needs.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I don't understand it. Does it mean that the PC version get's extra / higher res textures or is what you see (i. e. on the screenshots or console version), the highest res textures that the pc version gets?

In the context of the thread it means that there are higher res textures for the PC, and that Obsidian won't do a super-high-res-textures optionnal pack like the one the OP asked.

From what I've heard, the New Vegas preview in french Canard PC sounds pretty good. The dude who gave Fallout 3 a 4/10 rating, is pretty enthousiastic and impressed by New Vegas, because of it's quest design and so on.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That gecko looks cute with its tongue lolling out like that. Kinda reminds me of my crazy little dog when I just get home from work.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

If you check NMA, one of the dudes posted a summary of a preview from the french magazine CanardPC. This magazine really didn't like FO3 (didn't feel like it held up well) and also, as I recall, refused to write up a review of the game until they had their hands on it (I believe many other "exclusive" reviews were based on spending a certain amount of time with it at an event that Bethesda organized).

Good news is that they are very impressed with the quests they saw in the preview, and that there were ample possibilities for solving it in different ways. As an example, there was a combat-heavy section which proved too difficult for the player (who had not invested much in combat skills) but he was able to find another way, sneak past the baddies and talk with the leader and solve the situation via Speech.

It's pretty spoilery (for that quest at least) but it's heartening to read that he feels there was a lot of depth to it.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

After reading that preview, can someone tell me if there was a "pacifist" trait in Fallout & Fallout 2? The kind that bumps Speech but decreases weapons skills?

He also mentionned that shooting felt better, his character still being good enough with a pistol but completely useless with anything heavier (his character was a wimp with average agility and perception, above average intelligence and excellent charisma).

After reading that preview, can someone tell me if there was a "pacifist" trait in Fallout & Fallout 2? The kind that bumps Speech but decreases weapons skills?

IIRC. it was called "good-natured" Bonuses to speech, doctor, first aid, barter; penalties to combat skills.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

My memory is a bit shaky but I'm pretty sure Good Natured (raised Speech and a few other non-combat skills and decreased combat skills) was in at least one of the other games, probably both.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It was a pretty powerful trait if you had no plans for engaging in combat (or at least not early game), mostly becasue speech was the most powerful skill and getting a bonus to it right at the start was great. The other bonuses weren't so useful.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

guys, stop it! all this waiting is torture enough already

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.