Dragon Age 2

This game is ****ing ugly. DA:O wasn't pretty, but it was passable. This is just awful.

No, DA:O was ugly. Jade Empire and Mass Effect 2 were the best looking BioWare games. BG + BG II had some great looking backgrounds, though I don't think as many as some suggest.

Then again, something might be ugly and good-looking. Could the Witcher qualify? I wonder if something can be both beautiful and bad-looking, or at least pretty and bad-looking.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

This game is ****ing ugly. DA:O wasn't pretty, but it was passable. This is just awful.

No, DA:O was ugly. Jade Empire and Mass Effect 2 were the best looking BioWare games. BG + BG II had some great looking backgrounds, though I don't think as many as some suggest.

Then again, something might be ugly and good-looking. Could the Witcher qualify? I wonder if something can be both beautiful and bad-looking, or at least pretty and bad-looking.

Don't hide the point by making senseless comparisons. The new art style looks like something from a third rate game's alpha stage.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'll wait until the game is released to form a final opinion on the art/graphics direction, but I will say that at this point from what we've been shown I'm not impressed with their decision.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

As the (or one of) resident Dragon Age: Origins fanboys who hates everything else Bioware has done lately while being silently furious about the technical changes for Dragon Age 2...

I see no problem with the graphics.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Disagree.

With what? o:)

Your comment that it looks like a 3rd rate game's alpha stage.

this would be a good time to compare the Age of Decadence thread to the DA:2 thread.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The color palette is hideous, the darkspawn looks like spawned crap, and the character models edges are too sharp. Plus there is that big emptiness on the background, not a tree or dune in sight. It basically feels like they are fighting in a test setting.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

THere's burned out trees in several of the screenshots. It seems like where they are fighting is some sort of wasteland.

As for the color palette, I'm just happy it's not generic LOTR style stuff anymore. Given my impressions for what the location is supposed to look like, I have no real beef with the palette though. It looks like a wasteland. Aren't they running from the blight or something? I wouldn't be surprised if this was an area the darkspawn ripped through already. There's some large fire in the background. Are they fleeing a town?

I don't mind the hurlocks, though some variation is sorely needed.

I find that the armor edges are sharp, but think that the base character models (like the faces) look pretty good. Especially Flemeth.

Edited by Thorton_AP

THere's burned out trees in several of the screenshots. It seems like where they are fighting is some sort of wasteland.

As for the color palette, I'm just happy it's not generic LOTR style stuff anymore. Given my impressions for what the location is supposed to look like, I have no real beef with the palette though. It looks like a wasteland. Aren't they running from the blight or something? I wouldn't be surprised if this was an area the darkspawn ripped through already. There's some large fire in the background. Are they fleeing a town?

I don't mind the hurlocks, though some variation is sorely needed.

I find that the armor edges are sharp, but think that the base character models (like the faces) look pretty good. Especially Flemeth.

Most of the screenshots take place in a desert which has no glare, no mirage out in the distance and just a few yellow clouds. Throughly unimpressive, if they are going to do open spaces of nothing they may do them well.

village_idiot.gif

Which screenshots show a desert? What I'm seeing is aftermath of the blight. I couldn't definitively state what the region is supposed to look like under normal circumstances.

Besides, the land they are on is clearly uneven. Look at the third picture (the one with the smoke in the background) at the Game Banshee site here. Furthermore, even if this were a desert, it doesn't appear to be a very warm period of the day (i.e. the sky looks more like dusk or dawn than midday, especially since the sun is not at all high in the sky), meaning you're likely not going to be getting the temperature gradients necessary to have a suitable mirage. The land isn't appropriately shaped, unless you're expecting the mirages to be on the little plateau the fighting is taking place on.

Maybe part of the problem with the graphics is that you think they are something else than they actually are. The images are not what your imagination is telling you they are. None of the in game imagery shown on the game banshee site shows me places where mirages would be suitable. Same goes for the glare factor. It's early/late in the day, and the sun has a haze through it. Which is probably indicative of the the area going more scorched earth which the blight seems to result in. The PC is from Lothering isn't he? That's probably it burning in the background and this wasteland is the wake of where the blight passed at one point.

Edited by Thorton_AP

Why do they insist on showing an unflattering area at an unflattering time of the day as 90% of their screenshots, though? And going further, even if it's 'realistic', is it good design to make an area that looks like a lump of goo? I mean, couldn't they add something in the lore to justify some sort of art perk-up? No problem with 'emptiness' but...

i think the screens look pretty awful, and significantly worse than the first game (a first ever for a sequel? worse graphics??)

however... i am willing to give them the benefit of doubt and say that perhaps the game looks fantastic in motion, and simply doesnt translate well to screenshots.

remember wind waker??? that game had top notch visuals, but only in motion, it looked crap in still shots.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I suspect it's the same screenshots from the playable demos and so forth. Makes sense for those areas to be done first since people will be playing them.

Bio themselves said the screens are from a wasteland/desert.

I called it a wasteland too. Likely been scorched due to the blight. It's not a flat desert with intense heat that's going to cause mirages though.

Edited by Thorton_AP

I called it a wasteland too. Likely been scorched due to the blight. It's not a flat desert with intense heat that's going to cause mirages though.

Even in a wasteland there is some meteorological effect, fog, dust, or at least something more than a clear yellow sky :ermm: I'm okay with big open spaces but usually there is something to enrich them. Maybe it's not finished, i'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt but the screenshots do no favors to my already growing discontent with DA2.

village_idiot.gif

DA2 graphics > DA1 graphics

Coming from you I doubt the veracity of that statement. No offense.

village_idiot.gif

Even in a wasteland there is some meteorological effect, fog, dust, or at least something more than a clear yellow sky :ermm: I'm okay with big open spaces but usually there is something to enrich them. Maybe it's not finished, i'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt but the screenshots do no favors to my already growing discontent with DA2.

There is a haze in the screenshots. The sky is most definitely not clear. You can see that the sun is hazed out in the background. The sky is a hazy blue, with clouds that have a hint of red in them due to the hazy sunrise. The yellow you see in the sky is definitely clouds. You can see the breaks behind them. They are yellow due to the sun being so low in the sky. Closer to the horizon is a blue haze, except towards the as the sun illuminates some of the haze itself.

Here's some actual real life photographs that I think are somewhat similar:

overland05.1139530980.01-sunrise.jpg

maro0645_xlarge.jpg

600-03053873w.jpg

(I like this one because it even shows bluer sky below the yellower sky created by the clouds and haze.

Heck, after finding these pictures I'll rescind my previous statement that the DA2 screenshots probably aren't from a desert.