Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

I hate all the DLC talk around the internet. It's just so early, the game is not even out yet.

Also I very much hate DLC in general. We need more expansions. :(

If Obsidian does get to make DLC, I hope they don't go for the Operation Anchorage kind of thing.

Agree with the bold part completely. While I recognize it's a lot easier (read: cheaper and quicker) to make 1-2 hour DLC than full on expansions, I simply find it a waste of money 95% of the time. At least with expansions, you feel like you're playing another story (or adding on to the existing one). DLCs often times simply feel like they added one more dungeon level for you to romp around in, with very little actual story content added.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

i really hope that the higher difficulties offer more than just "enemies have millions of hp now!".

I honestly don't know what other variables they should tweak to make it better, but merely pouring on hp for enemies is a poo path of stinky despair.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I hate all the DLC talk around the internet. It's just so early, the game is not even out yet.

Also I very much hate DLC in general. We need more expansions. :lol:

If Obsidian does get to make DLC, I hope they don't go for the Operation Anchorage kind of thing.

Agree with the bold part completely. While I recognize it's a lot easier (read: cheaper and quicker) to make 1-2 hour DLC than full on expansions

Actually some of the recent interviews with Todd Howard indicate that it's a lot easier and more easily successful to create a Shivering Isles-type expansion than a half-dozen bite-size excursions. He indicated that Bethsoft would probably not revisit F3's DLC model in the future.

That fits with my experience. If I've already bought and played through a game, a full-sized expansion is often sufficient reason for me to pull it out again and get back into playing it. But I haven't yet jumped back into any games based on the release of new $5 DLCs.

Edited by Enoch

That's not really what he said Pop:

We felt coming out of Oblivion that Knights of the Nine - that $10 one - was a good sweet spot, not just in terms of what people want to pay, but for us creating it. Whereas Shivering Isles, it's a $30 thing - people bought it, it did great - but it wasn't great in terms of how long it took us to do it and get it out.

So we went into Fallout 3 with this $10 price at this pace. I can tell you that pace was fast. We had two overlapping DLC groups, tiny groups, and we did that, and the audience, they liked that rate of them coming out but it was hard. I don't know if we're going to be able to do that again.

I think at the end of the day we just want to have something that is really high quality and maybe not put so many out.

EDIT : So basically, same model as F3 but with less DLCs overall and higher quality. Definitely not Shivering Isles-sized expansions, since they would take to much time.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Actually some of the recent interviews with Todd Howard indicate that it's a lot easier and more easily successful to create a Shivering Isles-type expansion than a half-dozen bite-size excursions. He indicated that Bethsoft would probably not revisit F3's DLC model in the future.

Hmm, if that's true, then why do companies choose the DLC way?

I know Howard and BioWare aren't the same thing, but since they both are in the market of making RPGs, I'd assume their costs/development time would be comparable. So take Dragon Age: Origins, for example. The majority of their DLC was either decent, but extremely short, or just extremely short with no real value to them. Combined, they probably gave the player 15 or so hours of play time. If you're correct about Howard's comments (and there's no reason to think you're not), then why wouldn't BioWare put that time and effort into making another Awakenings-length expansion, than putting out a 1 hour dungeon romp every 2 or so months?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you're correct about Howard's comments (and there's no reason to think you're not)

He wasn't.

EDIT : Just to clarify, I have no animosity towards Pop, he probably just misremembered or something like that, but a debate was about to start from the wrong premises.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Knights of the Nine was decent enough for an add-on/dlc. Sure beats the crap out of any DLC that was done for Fallout 3. So if the future format for Bethie's add-ons is Knights of the Nine-type length, content, story that's not bad. Not bad at all.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The 3sat interview was for more of a general technology segment so their audience is probably not looking for how many types of special .45-70 Gov't ammo there are in the game.

I'm kinda surprised they would even have a violent game such as Fallout being promoted on national tv.

Hate the living, love the dead.

The 3sat interview was for more of a general technology segment so their audience is probably not looking for how many types of special .45-70 Gov't ammo there are in the game.

I'm not surprised. :shifty:

I was more surprised that 3sat even made an interview with you people. (Not with ill intent. They just have nothing to do with gaming. It's a tv channel that focuses on documentation, culture and classical music.)

Edited by C2B