Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...2#post381231580

Especially as you start using the better weapons, you should feel that the weapon skills you specialize in feel much better than the ones you neglect.

I'm 23rd level with a 6 or 7 INT on my current playthrough and I think my three tags are at 100 and one other skill is close to 90. In any case, I'm nowhere near maxing out my skills.

For my personal tastes, that would be how the skills should look at about the last level in the game. I would've been happy if there had been a level 20 cap in the game.

Still, I hope it will be better than F3 at least. Specialized characters for the win. And I hope the fact that we only get perks at every second level now will also help the feeling that we're not some Wasteland god even at later levels.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

don't you get perks every 3 levels in F2? or it's just that trait, Skilled or w/e? anyway, every 2 levels is too often imo

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

don't you get perks every 3 levels in F2? or it's just that trait, Skilled or w/e? anyway, every 2 levels is too often imo

If you pick the PC version, Josh has confirmed that the rate at which you get perks is a setting in the GECK.

You could easily make a little mod to change it and play it with the old Fallout style.

I would also prefer every 3 levels, but a perk every 2 levels instead of every level is gonna be a pretty big change when keeping in mind it's over 30 levels.

I'm looking forward to the updated stuff in the GECK btw. I hope there's some good stuff in there... doing dialogues in the F3 GECK is maddening.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

If you pick the PC version, Josh has confirmed that the rate at which you get perks is a setting in the GECK.

You could easily make a little mod to change it and play it with the old Fallout style.

If the perks aren't paritcularly powerful it doesn't matter if you get them every level. IN FO3 for example, while the perks weren't completely useless, they weren't particularly game-changing, even the high-level ones. It's more of a cumulative effect.

I would prefer individually powerful, game-changing perks given infequently, but in the end both systems balance out the same.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If the perks aren't paritcularly powerful it doesn't matter if you get them every level. IN FO3 for example, while the perks weren't completely useless, they weren't particularly game-changing, even the high-level ones. It's more of a cumulative effect.

I would prefer individually powerful, game-changing perks given infequently, but in the end both systems balance out the same.

Well yeah, but I was just trying to give a solution to sorophx (AFAIK Broken Steel's perks were pretty broken though).

I don't even remember F3 having perks :lol: and I've played through it 2 times.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

More from Josh on SA:

High INT has a smaller effect on skill points per level than it did in F3. Additionally, we have made tweaks to other stats to raise their value. E.g. all weapons have soft STR requirements that affect weapon sway or (for melee weapons) attack speed. CHR affects a stat called Nerve that grants bonuses to your companion(s).

Sounds good.

Great to see stats having more of an effect on game experience. That was a problem, I felt, in FO3. It woudl be great if per and chr were actually useful in NV. And agility beyond affecting AP.

In FO3, since I never used VATS, I set my agility to 1 for all my characters. Never noticed a problem. Which I thought was too bad.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If I recall correctly, there were a couple of Fallout 3 mods that made your jumping heights, running speed etc. dependent on your agility. There wasn't much that made perception useful though, and usually those who made per useful went too far into making the stat important (like putting a cap on ranged skills based on your perception, meaning that the cap would 90 if you had 9 in per, etc.).

Hopefully Obsidz found a better solution.

If I recall correctly, there were a couple of Fallout 3 mods that made your jumping heights, running speed etc. dependent on your agility. There wasn't much that made perception useful though, and usually those who made per useful went too far into making the stat important (like putting a cap on ranged skills based on your perception, meaning that the cap would 90 if you had 9 in per, etc.).

Hopefully Obsidz found a better solution.

Agi modifying movement is a good idea. Lateral movement and turning speed especially. I would be up for that.

I don't even remember F3 having perks :lol: and I've played through it 2 times.

You got grim reapers sprint which let you use VATs again immediately if you killed your target(s). Meaning there was no theoretical limits to how many enemies you could kill in succession. Stupidly over powered, but I suppose that was how the lv 20 perks were meant to be.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It woudl be great if per and chr were actually useful in NV. And agility beyond affecting AP.

Animal Friend perk required 6 charisma. Child at Heart required 4 charisma.

Sniper, Light Step, Better criticals perk required 6 perception.

Sniper, Light Step, Silent Running required 6 agility.

So it's not like perception & charisma were not useful in Failout 3.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It woudl be great if per and chr were actually useful in NV. And agility beyond affecting AP.

Animal Friend perk required 6 charisma. Child at Heart required 4 charisma.

Sniper, Light Step, Better criticals perk required 6 perception.

Sniper, Light Step, Silent Running required 6 agility.

So it's not like perception & charisma were not useful in Failout 3.

That would be an issue if individual perks were meaningful in FO3, but they're really not.

There in no perk in FO3 that hass the equivalent significance to Bonus RAte of Fire in FO1, for instance.

bleh, I never used VATS after I hit 20, there wasn't really any point in it.

Walsingham said:

Only perks that raise skills are meaningless in FO3, since all skills can be easily maxed out anyways.

Then again if a feature a perk offers is meaningless, doesn't that too make a perk meaningless? Cannibal and mister sandman come to mind on top of my hat as examples of nice features on paper but in the game they only have curiosity value.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Only perks that raise skills are meaningless in FO3, since all skills can be easily maxed out anyways.

I agree that the skill bonus perks are the worst. Totally pointless.

But very few of the perks in FO3 are significant. Animal friend for instance. IIRC, the only critter that it affects that is actually a significant enmy is the Yao Guai. ANd all the perk really does is reduce the annoyance factor of wandering around the wasteland and not having to deaal with an endless apwan of their attacks. ANd if you take the second levele they'll attack others. WHich is nice. But is pretty minor.