Obsidian making Dungeon Siege III

The fact that it's going to be on consoles makes me sad. Can we expect a dumbed down interface Obsidian?

Considering that some consider Alpha Protocol's PC version a disaster port, I'd say this is sadly a very likely possibility.

EDIT : Seems that my impressions that Dungeon Siege III is a project to stay afloat have at least some ground in reality.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

The fact that it's going to be on consoles makes me sad. Can we expect a dumbed down interface Obsidian?

Considering that some consider Alpha Protocol's PC version a disaster port, I'd say this is sadly a very likely possibility.

Yeah, that part made me a bit nervous too. That makes me think of...well, Borderlands or Overlord interfaces, which were ok for those games, but I dunno...hard to picture the original DS games with such simple interfaces at least...depends what they do with the game, as always.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

EDIT : Seems that my impressions that Dungeon Siege III is a project to stay afloat have at least some ground in reality.

Nope! Actually I don't want to do this just to be contrary, but here's where I get to say that GPG and Square have been great to work with and that the DS license has provided more opportunities than restrictions. I don't think I'd call this a "project to stay afloat" at all. In fact, I have a hard time thinking of an IP that's more pleasant to work with.

Nope! Actually I don't want to do this just to be contrary, but here's where I get to say that GPG and Square have been great to work with and that the DS license has provided more opportunities than restrictions. I don't think I'd call this a "project to stay afloat" at all. In fact, I have a hard time thinking of an IP that's more pleasant to work with.

Good to hear, and sorry if I sound harsh, I've enjoyed your work until now, but this message alone doesn't really shake away that impression.

Hope the game turns out good, that's for sure. :lol:

The Kingdom of Ehb was a pretty lame setting (but nothing worse than Dragon Age), I don't even remember finding more than 5 lore books. The second game took place in the rest of the continent & added a ton of history and lore.

Still, DS did the 'ancient evil returns' shtick way better than Dragon Age... and has a much better Archdemon as well.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Creating a new IP is a very big job. Obsid can instead take the DS setting and run with it, HOPEFULLY allowing them to put out a polished game (for once).

The punchline is that it doesn't really have a setting beyond "generic fantasy" so if they want to make something out of it, they will pretty much have to make it from scratch.

@Slowtrain: I'm not really complaining about the DS setting, other than it being yet another generic fantasy world, but about the baggage that the DS IP has. There are two mediocre Diablo clones, one horrible spin-off in space and a horrible movie attached to it. The name doesn't really have any positive connotations associated with it, the best you can hope is that no one will remember those any more. Having the Obsidian name on it will probably help a bit, but most people don't know/care who Obsidian is.

I'm curious what's wrong with a 'generic fantasy world/setting' anyway? To some it seems like a dirty word now or something. Does everything have to be some sci-fi or post apocalyptic or zombie or magical GIJoe fantasy setting now? I like different settings too, but I still like the 'generic magic/kingdom/knights fantasy' setting and always will. Besides...almost nothing is non-generic now anyway & hasn't been for a long time...imo it's more to do with execution of gameplay than what type of 'setting' the world is put in.

ps...I recall the goblin/robot enemies/areas in DS, plopped into the middle of this magical setting...which for me at the time was unexpected and jarring but at the same time kinda cool. :lol:

pps...or am I misunderstanding and by 'setting' you really mean plot/story?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I had the misfortune of having to review Dungeon Siege back in the day. It was basically a very pretty corridor with enemies in it that you only needed TWO BUTTONS to play. I used three: one to switch between ranged weapons/melee weapons, one to let all my characters simultaneously drink potions, and one to show them where to go. You didn't really have to do the melee/ranged switch, but I thought, what the hell, why not add some extra complexity for the sake of it? I was younger back then and living on the edge, you know?

I don't remember one iota of the story, if it had one. I don't remember a single frame of the maps, although I am sure it had some. All I remember was that you had your little group of characters walk from map entry to map exit while fighting enemies. Sometimes you'd happen upon a "village" (it was a shop) where you sold your old equipment and bought new equipment. I guess that you sometimes levelled up, but I don't remember any of the character progression so I'm guessing it was as automatic and dull as the rest of the game.

No matter what Obsidian does with this game, it can only get better. Oh and HAHAHA at whoever fears this game will be dumbed down for consoles. It is not possible to dumb this game down, it's flat out at the bottom of dumb.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

How could GPS & Obs combine and not make Supreme Commander RPG? That....... that would of been something. Perhaps after DS?

I'm not exactly familiar with the franchise, but wasn't Supreme Commander 2 the center of a ****storm of epic proportions concerning patches etc.?

Yep, it's had what 10+ patches. Still I think an RPG in that setting would be interesting.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I'm curious what's wrong with a 'generic fantasy world/setting' anyway? To some it seems like a dirty word now or something. Does everything have to be some sci-fi or post apocalyptic or zombie or magical GIJoe fantasy setting now? I like different settings too, but I still like the 'generic magic/kingdom/knights fantasy' setting and always will. Besides...almost nothing is non-generic now anyway & hasn't been for a long time...imo it's more to do with execution of gameplay than what type of 'setting' the world is put in.

ps...I recall the goblin/robot enemies/areas in DS, plopped into the middle of this magical setting...which for me at the time was unexpected and jarring but at the same time kinda cool. :ermm:

pps...or am I misunderstanding and by 'setting' you really mean plot/story?

No, but it's a great way to deal out an elitist snub. Kind of like criticising higher-level abstract game design areas like "art direction" and "writing".

"I can't play the game, it has a generic setting, poor art direction and juvenile writing. I'll go fap over Witcher, now". :)

In semirelated news, it's going to take A LOT of convincing to get me to buy a Dungeon Siege game.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yep, it's had what 10+ patches. Still I think an RPG in that setting would be interesting.
Obsidian!

Gas Powered Games!

Bethesda!

Piranha Bytes!

HEART!

GO PATCHES!

By your programs combined, I am CAPTAIN PATCHES!

(Captain Patches, he's our Hero

gonna take bug count down to Zero

He's our programs magnified

And he's fighting on the players' si~de)

Obsidian!

Gas Powered Games!

Bethesda!

Piranha Bytes!

HEART!

GO PATCHES!

By your programs combined, I am CAPTAIN PATCHES!

(Captain Patches, he's our Hero

gonna take bug count down to Zero

He's our programs magnified

And he's fighting on the players' si~de)

I think I want what your smoking.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Regardless, its a lot less pressure trying to make a good sequel to a dull, uninspired, mostly forgotten game than it is try making a good sequel to a cherished game.

Regardles of how bad DS was, it wasn't Obsidian's fault and they have nowhere to go but up!

Not exactly inspiring.

"If we make less ambitious game, people will care less if we fail!"

At some point trying to make something big and failing is better than crapping out one mediocre game after another.

Because obviously Square-Enix, GPG and Obsidian are looking at this and thinking "Man, look at the crap we can put out with this!"

I mean that's just a silly argument. "Hey guys, we got the Dungeon Seige job!" "Yay! Now we only have to work half as hard as usual!"

What bizarre, out of left field IP will Obsidian announce next? Who hasn't been hankering for an Avonlea RPG?

Ooo, ooo Ubisoft and Obsidan team up for a Phantasie remake! Obsidian gets the rights to do Wizardry 9! Obsidian and Interplay team for Lionheart 2! Obsidian and Namco team up for Mr. Driller: RPG! Obsidian and Lucasarts team up for Grim Fandango RPG!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

No, but it's a great way to deal out an elitist snub. Kind of like criticising higher-level abstract game design areas like "art direction" and "writing".

"I can't play the game, it has a generic setting, poor art direction and juvenile writing. I'll go fap over Witcher, now". :p

In semirelated news, it's going to take A LOT of convincing to get me to buy a Dungeon Siege game.

That's kinda what I figured. :facepalm: Each their own and all that.

I had the misfortune of having to review Dungeon Siege back in the day. It was basically a very pretty corridor with enemies in it that you only needed TWO BUTTONS to play.

Yea, the SP campaign was very linear pathed like that...so was DS2. I still liked goofing off with the party NPC's and such tho.

But in DS1, the MP had an entirely different, very open & huge playing field with (simple) quests & such. No party npc's/donkeys either. I liked it a lot more than the campaign actually & played it solo a lot.

IIRC DS2 didn't have that sort of thing, which annoyed me greatly. So Obsidian, try to either make DS3 a bit less "you must follow this narrow path" or at least make a separate world environment for MP ala the first game.

I don't remember one iota of the story, if it had one.

I rarely pay attention to stories in any game so doesn't matter to me. Even in BG, npc's told me to go somewhere & kill/find something, so I did...I couldn't tell you what the story was in that game for the life of me. All I remember was there was this sad little Elf mage... :p

That said....again agree, DS in-game, there was no story in terms of your character having any choices that really affected anything. It's all in the booklore, ala Diablo, as mentioned by someone else. But that's the nature of the genre most of the time, so...imo...who cares.

Oh and HAHAHA at whoever fears this game will be dumbed down for consoles. It is not possible to dumb this game down, it's flat out at the bottom of dumb.

Actually, playing a mage I used a lot more buttons. Or rather, I used a lot more skills. And since you only had two spell slots, I had to constantly switch spells and multiple spellbooks. So whatever interface they create, I want it to have a much better system for dealing with that. And more than "hit button A to cycle through your 50 spells".

Edited by LadyCrimson

So far the weak points in all Obsidz games have been common: gameplay, balance and polish. In a game with a focus on characters, interpersonal relations and a strong plot drive, these can make up for the mentioned downsides. A Hack&Slash game however relies immensely on what these guys do worse: make games, as opposed to crafting stories (haven't played AP yet, though). That's why Blizzard is so successful -- their lore and storytelling sux but their games are a blast to play.

I don't know what to make of this news.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

@213374U -- I'm still waiting for a game that meets somewhere in the middle between pure hack slash (particularly the loot hunting aspect, for me) and plot/chr. driven. I have yet to find one.

So far the weak points in all Obsidz games have been common: gameplay, balance and polish. In a game with a focus on characters, interpersonal relations and a strong plot drive, these can make up for the mentioned downsides. A Hack&Slash game however relies immensely on what these guys do worse: make games, as opposed to crafting stories (haven't played AP yet, though). That's why Blizzard is so successful -- their lore and storytelling sux but their games are a blast to play.

I don't know what to make of this news.

I may be lacking in taste, but I've enjoyed playing all of Obsidian's games (with the exception of MotB which has a feeding mechanic that I hate in games and SoZ which my computer died while playing). So for me their gameplay has worked.

Balance? I dunno if the games are properly balanced, but then I don't tend to spend a lot of time trying to find exploits or "the best character build" and things like that. I sorta pick a few skills I want to use and roll with it. Polish? I dunno how to quantify that in any meaningful way other than saying the non-gameplay elements have never made me think "if only..."

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

While it's true that Obsidian's games have never been particularly well balanced until now (to be honest, it wasn't always their fault, the D&D 3.5 ruleset is as ****ty as you can get with PnP imho), but maybe they'll surprise us and come up with something super-polished and slick.

After all, mr.Chapman, when asked about the game (when it still was unannounced) said that he was already pretty happy with the level of polish they reached.

Then again, since the beginning I've said one thing, and I'm still going to say it : this projects has all the right stuff to a complete disaster. Not that I hope for it to be a disaster but...

Hope some screenshots/preview reach the surface soon (yeah, I know, we'll probably have to wait until E3). :facepalm:

I guess I played it too long ago to remember most of it. Will read up on that.

Soooo... basically you went onto the "bash DS" bandwagon without having a clue what you were talking about? Classy...

Why don't you join the AP bashing bandwagon too... "It's a bugridden piece of crap with 2003 graphics! Never played or seen it, but the reviews said it, and they can't be wrong, right!"

Yup, because I had forgotten the somewhat more extensive backstory that is in books scattered around the game, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. DS was a Diablo clone, plain and simple.

@LadyCrimson: I'm just personally bored with the elves and dwarves, swords and sorcery kind of fantasy setting. I don't want post-apocalyse or zombies, I want something unique like Planescape, Anachronox or Beyond Good And Evil were. You can still make a good game in a more traditional setting, but I'd rather have a bad game in an awesome setting than a ok one in another cookie cutter Tolkien knock-off.

I may be lacking in taste, but I've enjoyed playing all of Obsidian's games (with the exception of MotB which has a feeding mechanic that I hate in games and SoZ which my computer died while playing). So for me their gameplay has worked.

Balance? I dunno if the games are properly balanced, but then I don't tend to spend a lot of time trying to find exploits or "the best character build" and things like that. I sorta pick a few skills I want to use and roll with it. Polish? I dunno how to quantify that in any meaningful way other than saying the non-gameplay elements have never made me think "if only..."

Yeah, the gameplay "works". It's not so bad it's enough to make you uninstall the game, but just compare with other games. That was my point -- a DS sequel, if true to the spirit of the previous installments, should be about having fun killing hordes of monsters with friends first, telling a story and making the player involved with the characters second. This isn't really OE's specialty.

As for balance... what's there to say? You don't need to be a min/maxer or be actively trying to break the game; just take Force Storm/Vampiric Feast/Chain Shot, and win-button your way to victory. Don't bother with anything else, chances are it's underpowered and/or not working as intended.

Polish is quantified exactly by the amount of bugs present at release. Err... yeah.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I don't want post-apocalyse or zombies, I want something unique like Planescape, Anachronox or Beyond Good And Evil were.

All those game had less than successful sales though. Tells you something, doesn't it?

To be fair, Anachronox had 0 marketing. Not even Eidos had it listed on it's homepage when the game came out.

Hmmm.

I'm in two minds. On one hand, the Dungeon Siege franchise is a screen-saver of the most generic fantasy setting you could imagine. Then again, Obz making a Dungeon Siege game is a little bit like asking David Simon to write an episode of TJ Hooker. So it might be quite interesting.

Please, though, don't clash with a Diablo 3 release window. No more David V Goliath.

sonsofgygax.JPG