Obsidian making Dungeon Siege III

1275924599_1.jpg

This has got to be Glacern.

maybe ds3 turns out to be the bestest crpg evar, but is difficult to be enthusiastic 'bout such a project. on the positive end o' the spectrum, now obsidian gots an excuse to gets burt reynolds to do vo. weren't burt in the cast o' the ds movie? have paul crewe/gator/lewis medlock do vo would be earning some kewl points.

Heh, even Ron Perlman was in that movie.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Is it wise to expect the same/similar gameplay with the previous games?
Dungeon Siege 3 features "intuitive action gameplay" with the series' familiar RPG elements.
IIRC, their gameplays were not something which can be described as "intuitive action gameplay". The name may be only there for marketing reason.

Probably. Though I'm hoping it's more RPG than "hack/slash linear dungeon crawl", otherwise I'll wait for it to hit the $20 - $30 range... or pass it completely. Too early judge.

edit: <3 the artwork.

Edited by Syraxis

IIRC DS1 was the first game where you could actually choose what your character looks like in a meaningful way, at least for me.

Too bad they didn't get a cool license like Arcanum or Anachronox.

arcanum didn't sell well enough to warrant such attentions... am not certain regarding anachronox.

And Dungeon Siege did?

EDIT:

Nvm.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

IIRC DS1 was the first game where you could actually choose what your character looks like in a meaningful way, at least for me.

Too bad they didn't get a cool license like Arcanum or Anachronox.

arcanum didn't sell well enough to warrant such attentions... am not certain regarding anachronox.

And Dungeon Siege did?

Dungeon Siege sold pretty well and is certainly more well known than Arcanum.

Fallout 3 was an remake, and look how well that did...

3 points worth noting:

1) we already noted the economic acumen behind working on somebody's IP.

kotor2 and nwn2 were boons for a new developer. and how many police academy movies were made? no doubt it were a lucrative franchise too. do a project with a number after the title is typical far less risky, but is also lacking in originality. so congrats on working on police academy IX, or whatever.

2) fo was NOT a particularly lucrative franchise.

is not as if bethesda was genuinely mooching off of the success o' interplay. one o' your predecessors at black isle (briareus) once went through a rather detailed explanation o' how fo were not a noteworthy commercial success. was enlightening.

3) we also noted that our serious sticking point were with IPs for which the original developer/publisher is still alive and kicking.

who was bethesda's master on fo3? no publisher and no previous developer... so perhaps your example is less than analogous, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

And Dungeon Siege did?

The first one sold over a million units IIRC.

it sold well. it resulted in a sequel. it were responsible for a movie adaptation that cost $60 million.

somebody obvious thought that ds did more than just okie dokie.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we never understood the appreciation arcanum gained with a small group o' die-hard fans. arcanum were most interesting previous to its release. the steampunk setting sounded neato, and having fo guys working on it made us optimistic. too bad the combat were poorly balanced, the engine were buggy and clunky, the writing were tedious and the characters wer3e forgettable. nevertheless, for those that wanted a sandbox game, arcanum were the only hardcore example available, so...

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Apparently GPG and OE and SE disagree with you...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Or would you be against making a game with any IP that wasn't original at this point?

we is particular opposed to the retread o' any game for which the original publisher/developer is still 'round and may have influence on the development process. 'course, as you say, we is also opposed to any non-original IP. is like developer equivalent o' fan-fic.. at best it is a bit gauche.

HA! Good Fun!

Ah, I guess I understand your position. I'm more than happy personally to give a look at any game that piques my interest, sequel, remake, relaunch or original IP.

In fact there are a few moldy IPs I'd like to see get revamped or relaunched (although most of them are from developers that don't exist any more or were swallowed up by other publishers (like SSI and Ubisoft).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Or would you be against making a game with any IP that wasn't original at this point?

we is particular opposed to the retread o' any game for which the original publisher/developer is still 'round and may have influence on the development process. 'course, as you say, we is also opposed to any non-original IP. is like developer equivalent o' fan-fic.. at best it is a bit gauche.

HA! Good Fun!

Ah, I guess I understand your position. I'm more than happy personally to give a look at any game that piques my interest, sequel, remake, relaunch or original IP.

In fact there are a few moldy IPs I'd like to see get revamped or relaunched (although most of them are from developers that don't exist any more or were swallowed up by other publishers (like SSI and Ubisoft).

fair enough. am honest enough to admit that if some developer we respected were making a new planescape game, we would, at the very least, be curious. am s'posing that if little more than the setting is retained by the new developer, then we probably gots less resistance to retreads and resurrections.

HA! Good Fun!

Players will have weighty decisions to make that will impact their alliances, enemies and the culmination of the story.

I'm pretty sure this will come true

Edited by pcrk2

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Hey, in this economic climate, if someone's willing to pay, you take the job. So good for Obsidian.

Now, it's true that Dungeon Siege 1 was the most boring game I ever played. (Never bothered with DS2) But that doesn't neccessarily mean that Obs take on DS gameplay has to be boring as well. Sometimes, even just a few small design and mechanic changes can make a big difference.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

if the goal is just to be "diablo 3, but on the xbox!" it might still be a hit if its actually fun to play.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

While it'd be nice for it to be a hit, wherever, "fun to play" is typically my only concern with games.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'll just leave it here and leave this forum for good. Obsidian is truly dead, it's obvious.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Yea, how dare they take a paying job. They should go belly up like Troika!

Anyways, at least the game is in good hands. Ziets & co did wonders with Mask of the Betrayer. Oh and those concept arts look sweet :thumbsup:

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

I have faith in this game. I like hack & slashers (although the self-playing piano that was the original DS was not quite my cup of tea), and combine that with the creative talents of George Ziets and this is most definitely an interesting title.

I personally have no history with the franchise (other than being bored to tears by the demo to the first one), so for me it's like it's a new series. I'm almost as optimistic about this as I am about Diablo III. Of course, had it been Titan Quest 2 instead, I would have been in love, but you can't have everything.

In all honesty, my guess is that this game will resemble the Icewind Dale games in terms of gameplay. Just with actual cool abilities for the party of characters to use rather than just an attack button (and some spells if you were inclined). That's what I'm hoping for anyway, that and a great co-op experience.

If it were Dark Alliance III or Champions of Norrath III, it would be a pretty much guaranteed smash hit.

I wasn't crazy about DAII, but I did enjoy the Champions games. My hope - should gameplay go that route - that its something bigger and better than those games.

I'll just leave it here and leave this forum for good. Obsidian is truly dead, it's obvious.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

I'm not sure how we'll find someone to replace you. Your 7 posts were gold. Pure gold, I tell you.

I have faith in this game. I like hack & slashers (although the self-playing piano that was the original DS was not quite my cup of tea), and combine that with the creative talents of George Ziets and this is most definitely an interesting title.

I personally have no history with the franchise (other than being bored to tears by the demo to the first one), so for me it's like it's a new series. I'm almost as optimistic about this as I am about Diablo III. Of course, had it been Titan Quest 2 instead, I would have been in love, but you can't have everything.

In all honesty, my guess is that this game will resemble the Icewind Dale games in terms of gameplay. Just with actual cool abilities for the party of characters to use rather than just an attack button (and some spells if you were inclined). That's what I'm hoping for anyway, that and a great co-op experience.

Titan Quest 2 would have been fun; its a real pity Iron Lore closed down.