Obsidian making Dungeon Siege III

again, am not questioning why some folks is happy 'bout an obsidian project. you got faith in obsidian, warranted or not. great. but the thing is, this is a ds project as well as an obsidian project. Your reasoning works just as well if obsidian were doing bayonetta 2 or ephemeral phantasia 2. specious.

HA! Good Fun!

I think unless you have an understanding of how it came to be, you're speculating just as much as I am.

There are no doubt people excited that this is specifically a Dungeon Siege title. They've stated their opinions regarding this right in this thread.

And you're right, my reasoning does work just as well if it was bayonetta 2 or Phantasia 2. I don't recall saying otherwise.

While I have no idea how OE is going to solve that, a voting system would work (most votes win. Although this may not work as good in 2 players).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

^ Most CRPGs that are story-based with co-op will tend to have a protagonist (i.e. the host) who is the 'choosing character'. This is how the Infinity Engine games managed it, I don't play MMOs so maybe they have a different method.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yeah.. a voting system would do it...hmm, I was thinking of something dynamic(each person gets to choose and something comes out of it) maybe some sort of bonus to each person in the party. But if you have joined from a previous play session, how will those worlds collide?

I leveled up! what powers do I have?

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

I think that until we know how story-based the game will be this is difficult to guess. DS is, I guess, primarily hack'n'slash and maybe the co-op play will differ slightly from the SP experience?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Allright, what a way to make a first topic on a forum, but I have no other choice...

I see people here are disgracing Dungeon Siege's name with false information. People are calling it a diablo rip off and stuff. Sounds like nobody here has ever played Dungeon Siege. Where have you all been back in 2002? Dungeon Siege was fire back then. It was the most anticipated RPG of that time. And when it was released, nobody was disappointed.

1. Dungeon Siege is not a diablo clone. I don't mean to sound rude, but people who think this, probably either never played DS, or really need glasses. Dungeon Siege is different in a million ways. I enjoyed DS much more than Diablo. Diablo didn't have balanced multicharacter parties. Diablo didn't have the brilliant combat/leveling system. Diablo is lame, you just pick a class, and you keep doing the same thing for the rest of the game. In Dungeon Siege, your imagination is your class. You want a plate wearing healer? No problem. You want a curse-casting archer? No problem! Everything is possible. You decide how you play, not the developer with their pre-defined classes. That concept is extremely outdated and boring. The multiclass combat systems of Dungeon Siege and Dragon Age is the next thing.

2. Dungeon Siege did indeed have a shallow story (if it even had a story), but the developers never claimed that it would have an epic LOTR-ripoff story, like other RPGs. Its a hack & slash for god's sake. Diablo didn't have much story either. Heck, Dungeon Siege even has more dialogs than Diablo 2.

3. Dungeon Siege containd a huge multiplayer map. You could also play the single-player map online. The replayability is really INSANE. I play DS since the release now (I still play it weekly), and I still find new items and spell in game. I have never seen this in any other game ever before. I can't describe how much fun I had with a few mates on the LAN.

Dungeon Siege 2 wasn't a bad game, but it was disappointing. Well, that is what usually happens if your first game is a bomb. It's hard to improve an almost perfect game. Dungeon Siege 3 is developed by Obsidian. This is very exciting, because they can do whatever they want. I am expecting alot of new fresh things, and I believe that this game has the potential to be as succesful and good as the first DS.

Just my 2 cents :shifty: Feel free to comment.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

Didn't Divine Divinity came out in the same year as DS? That game struck the perfect balance between Diablo's combat system & Dungeon Siege free-form character advancement. Not to mention, fully interactive open-world.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Didn't Divine Divinity came out in the same year as DS? That game struck the perfect balance between Diablo's combat system & Dungeon Siege free-form character advancement. Not to mention, fully interactive open-world.

Never heard of that, but the way you describe it, it's worth checking out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

@Draganta --I've become more & more annoyed at the overuse of "Diablo-clone" term given to all action-rpg's too, but I do understand it. Since Diablo's are so recognizable it's easy to call every hack n slash that has similar game style by that and be sure that people know what you mean. :)

Also...Divine Divinity is pretty cool. It's a bit tougher than Diablo2 ever was in a few ways, but very free-form. It has the old fashioned black fog-of-war as well. The one thing I didn't like was the item looting, that can be so addicting, is sort of missing. At least, I mean, there's loot, but it wasn't all that interesting to me.

You can get it on Gog.com now...works on Win7.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Agree, Divine Divinity was a very fun game! Like you, I loved to solo the multi-player map in Dungeon Siege 1, so I have a soft-spot for well-done RPG "hack-and-slash" dispite the fact that I truly couldn't stomach the actual Diablo series.

That said, I'm still disappointed that Obsidian will not be working on a meaty story-driven RPG ala KOTOR2 or even NWN2. :)

In that case..

I can't believe Obs is raping that poor DS franchise with their "story" and "narrative" nonsense!

I know you're joking Oner, but considering the posts I've read of Dungeon Siege fans that have arrived here, I don't know how a story-heavy DS will be received by fan of the franchise.

Hopefully Obsidian this time can make gameplay just as fun as the narrative, so that both action-rpg lovers and C&C/story/PS:T fans will be satisfied.

Dungeon Siege fans have arrived here, I don't know how a story-heavy DS will be received by fan of the franchise.

Me, I am going totally bonkers if it's gonna get a plot. Hate all other OE games after all. Silly plot driven games.

Atleast KOTOR2 had Ph4t l33t! :lol:

(And if you wonder why I registered here 4 years ago. Precognition! Or I am a timetraveller)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Dungeon Siege fans have arrived here, I don't know how a story-heavy DS will be received by fan of the franchise.

Me, I am going totally bonkers if it's gonna get a plot. Hate all other OE games after all. Silly plot driven games.

Atleast KOTOR2 had Ph4t l33t! :lol:

(And if you wonder why I registered here 4 years ago. Precognition! Or I am a timetraveller)

You're both a Dungeon Siege fan and an Alpha Protocol fan, your opinion on the subject doesn't matter! :lol:

No, but seriously, it wasn't meant to be dismissive.

Not everyone has to like non-linear narrative and long and involved dialogues in game.

In that case..

I can't believe Obs is raping that poor DS franchise with their "story" and "narrative" nonsense!

I know you're joking Oner, but considering the posts I've read of Dungeon Siege fans that have arrived here, I don't know how a story-heavy DS will be received by fan of the franchise.

Hopefully Obsidian this time can make gameplay just as fun as the narrative, so that both action-rpg lovers and C&C/story/PS:T fans will be satisfied.

I liked DS 2, so if I count as a fan *shrug* as long as it's polished (or at least fun) and the devs aren't compelled to not say a word about the game post release I won't complain.

Even if they just took DS 2 and added more story I'd be content.

We won't know reactions until E3, and half the world will hate the game anyway, just like always.

Draganta, if you liked Dungeon Siege you will probably like Final Fantasy 12, it has a pretty freeform level up system(altough where you can travel is confined by how far you have advanced in the story)

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk