Obsidian making Dungeon Siege III

That's it. I am done with Obsidian. They could have made better games but they turned into a crappy company. This will be my last post on these boards. The main reason I joined back in 2004 was the hope to see TBH turned into a playable game but they decided to scrap the idea. Lame, they could have made tons of money even with an old engine. It was nice having discussions with you guys on these boards but it just pains me to see what BIS/Obz has become nowadays. Saludos!

Where's the BISIMG Drama tag when I need it...? ;(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's it. I am done with Obsidian. They could have made better games but they turned into a crappy company. This will be my last post on these boards. The main reason I joined back in 2004 was the hope to see TBH turned into a playable game but they decided to scrap the idea. Lame, they could have made tons of money even with an old engine. It was nice having discussions with you guys on these boards but it just pains me to see what BIS/Obz has become nowadays. Saludos!

Where's the BISIMG Drama tag when I need it...? ;(

Where it has always been: linked to in my profile.

drama.jpg

I knew it was in someone's profile, I just couldn't remember whose... ;(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Square Enix announces E3 2010 Line-Up

DUNGEON SIEGE 3

The Tales of Bearsworth Manor: Puzzling Pages

FRONT MISSION EVOLVED

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

The Tales of Bearsworth Manor: Chaotic Conflicts

FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT (NDS)

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

FINAL FANTASY XIV

The 3rd Birthday (PSP)

KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep (PSP)

KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded (NDS)

SE producer said they will be showing DS3 gameplay demo behind a closed door at E3 this year.

Edited by funcroc

... by the way, why is everyone and their sister and dog calling those concept arts screenshots?
Dunno, but I'd love to play a game with "painted" graphics.

Odin Sphere. 100% hand drawn goodness, I think thats as close as one can get.(As an aside, how come so many people are changing their profile picture?)

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

well, IF those are screenshots then the game might actually draw some major attention at e3...

i dont think they are.

still, they must have been working on this for a while to be showing it at e3, unless they're just going to show some concept art and maybe a teaser trailer

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

still, they must have been working on this for a while to be showing it at e3, unless they're just going to show some concept art and maybe a teaser trailer

At least a year and a couple of months, considering when Anthony Davis first posted about the project on RPG Codex... probably more I'd say.

Also, AP had been worked 2 years before it was announced, IIRC.

They're showing at E3 dammit, must be they've got some very convincing stuff.

I don't see how DSIII can be a bad thing! I mean, it's a popular IP (two games +expansions, 1 spin off and a movie, I call that popular), OE gets to work with Chris Taylor and SE, who unlike SEGA during AP's development, isn't facing a financial crisis and able to interject and shape a world with little lore, compared to other established settings and/or even brand new ones, with new life. After all, the land of Ehb hasn't been 100% explored in the two previous DS games and ... uh, let's pretend that whatever happened in the movie never REALLY happened because ... well, Uwe Boll!

Is it a franchise that I thought would be quite unlikely for OE to develop? Pretty much, yes. Do I think it is necessarily bad? No. OE is getting work from one of the top dogs in the video game market worldwide. I can't see that being a bad thing. Up to this point we know very little about the game, so why not sit back until something substantial comes up, then we can bitch all we want about it, if it really is as bad a game as some/most of you seem to speculate.

... by the way, why is everyone and their sister and dog calling those concept arts screenshots?

Odin Sphere. 100% hand drawn goodness, I think thats as close as one can get.(As an aside, how come so many people are changing their profile picture?)

Crap, I was reading the other day about an upcoming game that tried to have their 3D visuals look like a painting, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the game.

Oh and I change my avatar periodically and have since the glory days of BIS.

Edited by Amentep

Cool!

"Fun" has a new definition these days. You won't get old-school fun anymore. Recent polls show the public want

glossy soulless 15hr snack-meals. Controls should be limited to [O] and [X] buttons, no R1,2 or L1,2, that's

too complicated. Two ways to swing the oversized manga-sword, a three-inch glowing circle around your avatar so

you can't miss it. An auto-pilot mode in case you need to take a leak or wanna watch some tee-wee while your hero

is levelled. Once in a while they throw in some bikini-clad playthings to please the boys, or some dwarven gay-pr0n

when faced with accusations of political incorrectness.

Brave new world dude.. Gotto find a way to please or self-negate your starved ego. :sorcerer:

J.

"Fun" has a new definition these days. You won't get old-school fun anymore. Recent polls show the public want

glossy soulless 15hr snack-meals. Controls should be limited to [O] and [X] buttons, no R1,2 or L1,2, that's

too complicated. Two ways to swing the oversized manga-sword, a three-inch glowing circle around your avatar so

you can't miss it. An auto-pilot mode in case you need to take a leak or wanna watch some tee-wee while your hero

is levelled. Once in a while they throw in some bikini-clad playthings to please the boys, or some dwarven gay-pr0n

when faced with accusations of political incorrectness.

Brave new world dude.. Gotto find a way to please or self-negate your starved ego. :sorcerer:

J.

no.jpg

Seriously though, I don't think that modern games are any better/worse than they've always been. Lots of chaff, not as much good stuff and the good stuff varies a bit from person to person.

But I got into RPGs back in the days of the C64 and as much as I love those games, I understand that games have evolved and look for ways to enjoy the games of now. Again just because things are different it doesn't make them bad.

Edited by Amentep

well, IF those are screenshots then the game might actually draw some major attention at e3...

i dont think they are.

Yeah, everyone says they are artworks. One website actually took SE's word for it and said they were screenshots, but said they looked a lot like concept art :sorcerer:

... I'm still hoping they'll change the name. "Dungeon Siege" does not inspire confidence.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

are you excited 'cause it is a ds game or because it is an obsidian game? our query were: why ds?

HA! Good Fun!

Because it was greenlit for production and has financial backing?

as distinguishable from any other obsidian project?

HA! Good Fun!

It is distinguishable from any other hypothetical, not actually existing project.

You're assuming that Square-Enix, or another publisher, would not only green light the project if it was identical but not DS, but also the recipient of equivalent funding.

Why ds? Why not?

... I'm still hoping they'll change the name. "Dungeon Siege" does not inspire confidence.

the name is precisely the price for obsidian to be working on this project. perhaps square enix and gas powered is benevolent masters and will allow obsidian considerable freedom, but without the ds name (followed by a # and a ":",) the game loses identity with the franchise. while ds may not seem to have the same fan base as typical o' the majority o' obsidian fans, ds were popular; some people will buy simply 'cause "Dungeon Siege" is emblazoned on the box and advertisements.

obsidian gets to use ds name. in return, they gotta wear a leash and collar... with gas powered and enix both tugging on the other end o' the leash. hopefully the deal obsidian has struck affords them a chance to create a sequel "in name only," 'cause otherwise we envision many unhappy obsidian loyalists. regardless o' how much some folks 'round these parts enjoyed diablo, we doubt that such people is genuinely looking forward to obsidian developing a diablo clone... which is what ds were.

worried 'bout the name? the last thing you should worry 'bout is the name, and hopefully little more than the name remains once ds 3 is complete.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

are you excited 'cause it is a ds game or because it is an obsidian game? our query were: why ds?

HA! Good Fun!

Because it was greenlit for production and has financial backing?

as distinguishable from any other obsidian project?

HA! Good Fun!

It is distinguishable from any other hypothetical, not actually existing project.

You're assuming that Square-Enix, or another publisher, would not only green light the project if it was identical but not DS, but also the recipient of equivalent funding.

Why ds? Why not?

eh? we already identified multiple reasons for why not.

*shrug*

again, am not questioning why some folks is happy 'bout an obsidian project. you got faith in obsidian, warranted or not. great. but the thing is, this is a ds project as well as an obsidian project. Your reasoning works just as well if obsidian were doing bayonetta 2 or ephemeral phantasia 2. specious.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

obsidian gets to use ds name. in return, they gotta wear a leash and collar... with gas powered and enix both tugging on the other end o' the leash. hopefully the deal obsidian has struck affords them a chance to create a sequel "in name only," 'cause otherwise we envision many unhappy obsidian loyalists. regardless o' how much some folks 'round these parts enjoyed diablo, we doubt that such people is genuinely looking forward to obsidian developing a diablo clone... which is what ds were.

HA! Good Fun!

Front mission another SE fanchise was a turn based rpg, now it's Armored Core. Today's games don't always take after their predecessors.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif