Games you are looking forward to.

Darque

Nearest upcoming.. Mafia 2...

I'm curious as to how Max Payne 3 will turn out to be like...

Now that I know the new Tron game is a pc platform as well that's got to be one to try...

Then it swiftly goes to the games coming out on the crux of 2011..

I mean, I'm bound to try at least a month of Star Wars Old Republic just to satisfy my inner-star wars geek...

and the hankering to see which side of the border Deus Ex Human Revolution falls on.. DE or IW..

(and so far the sepia gold/brown pallete seemed more for the screen shots of Detroit.. the Shanghai ones didn't seem to have the same tone..)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

A PC Red Dead Redemption would probably be a subpar port though. :blush:

I was under the impression that all the GTA games were ported over to the PC with a good deal of success. Why would RDR break from that?

Selling well and being a crappy port are not mutually exclusive.

I didn't say anything about sales. When I say ported over with a good deal of success, I mean they played well, looked great, and were warmly received. I remember GTA3 and Vice City actually won quite a few awards on the PC back in the day because they looked superior to the console versions.

Selling well and being a crappy port are not mutually exclusive.

I didn't say anything about sales. When I say ported over with a good deal of success, I mean they played well, looked great, and were warmly received. I remember GTA3 and Vice City actually won quite a few awards on the PC back in the day because they looked superior to the console versions.

The previous GTAs might have, but GTA4 was riddled with bugs, performance issues and GFWL issues that may or may not have been fixed by now.

Look, someone even wrote a story about that

Edited by Purkake

A PC Red Dead Redemption would probably be a subpar port though. :)

I was under the impression that all the GTA games were ported over to the PC with a good deal of success. Why would RDR break from that?

That's kind of the point.

As far as I know (feedback from the net and my friends too) GTA4 port blows.

I've sometimes wondered if I should try out one of the GTA games. It just seems like there are so many of them by now, that finding the best "franchise introduction" seems a bit daunting. Played the very original GTA for an hour or two back when it was new. Seemed like a fairly simple 2d, top down racing game/shooter at the time.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've sometimes wondered if I should try out one of the GTA games. It just seems like there are so many of them by now, that finding the best "franchise introduction" seems a bit daunting. Played the very original GTA for an hour or two back when it was new. Seemed like a fairly simple 2d, top down racing game/shooter at the time.

The first two top down GTAs pretty much sucked. It wasn't until the series went 3d with GTA 3 that the series really took off (for good reason). Every major GTA from 3 onwards has been fantastic for it's time.

You can jump into GTA IV with no knowledge of the previous games. There are no recurring characters or events. Each numbered sequel represents a sort of era. GTA III, Vice City & San Andreas are all connected and share characters and a timeline, while GTA IV starts over from scratch.

I can't really recommend GTA IV enough. The city feels alive, the main characters are actually likable opposed to the thugs from previous games, fantastic voice acting, a good crime drama story, great music (though my fav soundtrack is Vice City), the best physics in video games period, excellent action sequences & fun multiplayer.

I might just give GTA IV a shot then, next time I walk past a store that has it. Thanks for the summary GDM :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

GTA and GTA 2 didn't follow any timeline. Both games were basically collection of missions in 2d but damn addictive. I must have played 100's of hours just to goof around in GTA. Rockstar released GTA and GTA 2 free to download few years ago. I wouldn't recommened 'em as they have aged rather badly.

GTA 3 (and Liberty City Stories for PS2), GTA Vice City (and Vice City Stories for PS2) and GTA San Andreas follow the same timeline. GTA3 have aged worst of 'em and both Stories are subpar games. Vice City is still fun (but won't work on my Vista setup) and San Andreas is still fresh if you can ignore the rough graphics.

GTA 4 rebooted the timeline and only has some of the in-game GTA brands and radio station parsonalities (who is also one of the lead writers) like Lazlow are left from the previous timeline. Lost and Damned improved how motorcycles handle and The Ballad of Gay Tony improved just about everything. I'd recommened GTA 4 but Episodes from Liberty City (includes both DLC/expansions) is even more worth it.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I liked Vice City, but the other two GTA games I own (3 and 4) are among the handful of games I've bought during my lifetime but have never bothered to finish even once (the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Dark Corners of the Earth, and that was more like bad timing and the demise of my original xbox).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I preferred three over Vice personally, mainly because 3 had actual, you know, hills in it.

San Andreas just felt to... large to me. I like to be able to get from one end of the place to the other in a reasonable amount of time, including crashes. Also it had WAYYY to many missions where I got stuck for several days.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

• 2 months later...

Fallout new vegas

guild wars 2

deus ex 3

borderlands 2

batman arkham asylum 2

Rage

Mass Effect 3

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

(the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Dark Corners of the Earth, and that was more like bad timing and the demise of my original xbox).

It works on the 360, but probably with more bugs.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Guys, what's the deal with Guild Wars? I don't dig MMOs but for some reason I find myself interested in this one.
Read The Game descriptions on the homepage, their enthusiasm is seriously contagious.

Necromancer was terrible fun in Guild Wars 1. I just hit cap so quickly I never bothered playing anymore.

You could zerg rush the instances with minions (whatever they called them) if your group was willing to keep up.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

guild wars was a lot like diablo 2 with trying to gather skills instead of gathering items.

i loved the first game, warrior and necromancer were really really fun to play as for me.

i am not that interested in a persistent world, but they say the game will still have lots of instanced areas so im sure I'll love it. plus the makers of the game seriously come across as people who genuinely love what they do and strive to make the game the best it can be.

making the sequel soloable is also a huge bonus for people like me who enjoy the diablo-esque parts of it while having little interest in the mmo parts of it.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.