I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Obsidian

Pidesco

I loved to use biotics in ME1, but they are just garbage in ME2. Much more effective to shoot your enemies.
What I don't agree with is that ME1's combat was better.

ME2 combat is better (AI, pacing etc) but ME did biotics better.

True. Adepts on Insanity are completely worthless because of all those defenses, and even then the massive room-clearing power that was singularity has been massively dumbed down so that's it's no fun to use. Not to mention having powers being missiles... that's just annoying.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The romance effect will be interesting to see in ME3...

I mean, if you romanced Ashley (or Kaiden) in ME1.. and you go through the bizarre behaviour they give you on Horizon in ME2.. It certainly sounds like breakup material. Although, you do get an email later doing the whole "maybe I overreacted, I thought I lost you, I don't want to lose you again." But really, does a single email make up for that whole rant?

So if you then get into a romance with one of the ME2 team.. and you turn the picture of Ashley/Kaiden face down.. What sort of reactions are going to turn up in ME3..

After seeing how Liara's character evolved in ME2, I'm glad I imported an Ashley romance savegame. I get the feeling Tali will never know what hit her if Liara plays the 'woman scorned' bit.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Star Trek...?

You must live in some bizarre universe where Star Trek is still relevant.

Well, there was a film bearing that name that grossed $385,000,000 just last year...

ME2 didn't scale the balance well across difficulty levels. I'm a believer that game balance is best judged at the default difficulty (or perhaps 1 step tougher), but the way that they scaled the difficulty up (giving more enemies shields/armor/barriers) has a very different effect depending on the class you are playing. Judging things based on Insanity alone is just silly.

The appeal of biotics is having all the enemies in the room floating around in the same spot instead of being behind cover or shooting you. It's hilarious, but completely overpowered in ME1.

EDIT: I meant the older Star Trek. I doubt 80% of the people who watched the new movie had ever watched a single episode of the series.

EDIT2: The most (if not, the only) viable way to beat the game on insanity is with a soldier. Add that with the constant respawning of enemies (it's more frequent on Insanity) and you have a very tedious game with combat that barely varies.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The appeal of biotics is having all the enemies in the room floating around in the same spot instead of being behind cover or shooting you. It's hilarious, but completely overpowered in ME1.

This.

I set the squad power-usage in ME to defense only just to stop this from happening all the time.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

... Oh, so Nassana Dantius is that asari who gave you a quest in ME1 to go kill her sister! I knew I heard that name somewhere before.

After seeing how Liara's character evolved in ME2, I'm glad I imported an Ashley romance savegame. I get the feeling Tali will never know what hit her if Liara plays the 'woman scorned' bit.

Hardly, she had a fling with a Drell while Shep was dead.

I never really saw the appeal of Biotics, guns worked just as well and you didn't have to que things up in a menu. Mostly it was just pretty graphics.

Purk you disappoint me. How can you not enjoy throwing people to their death, pull+throw = sadistic laugh.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Shep was dead.

Said it yourself. Her warm greeting when you first meet her on Ilium pretty much confirms she still cares alot about you.

There's only one way to handle ME2 combat: Hide in cover and shoot. That's it.
I posted a video a few pages back that shows a class and a way of playing that revolves around CHARGING around the battlefield instead of hiding behind cover and taking potshots. But that must be "lies, mythical myths and innuendo".

I wish proving everything was this easy.

<SNIP>

The combat went from too loose to too tight.
For some reason, Bio had the mad notion that it's fine for every mob to have perfect accuracy, always, regardless of difficulty level. That's what makes combat "too tight" - if there's more than one mob shooting you at any time and you are out of cover, you WILL be taking a lot of concentrated fire, and die. That's not how it is in other cover-based shooters, and I have no idea what they were going for with this. Possibly that's also the reason why enemies use special abilities less than you would expect and they affect the player so little when compared to gunfire - throw in really powerful enemy biotics on top of their mad gun skills, and the game would be impossible. Edited by Gorth
Lets give the name calling a break

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

*Poof*... last few posts pruned. If we can't have peace, how about a truce? :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

In the Obsidian Forums, there is only..War!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In the Obsidian Forums, there is only..War!

There is no peace amongst the boards, only an eternity of flaming and baiting, and the laughter of thirsting mods.

just kidding, I'm sure they're all well hydrated

Edited by Purkake

*Poof*... last few posts pruned. If we can't have peace, how about a truce? >_Stop dumbing down threads!

:grin:

I thought streamlining the experience was all the rage these days.

Finished my second playthrough. Tried to start a third game, but pure mage (adept?) option just didn't cut it. Not sure if I can stand sitting through all the uninterruptable cutscenes and intros again to properly start a third game.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Finished my second playthrough. Tried to start a third game, but pure mage (adept?) option just didn't cut it. Not sure if I can stand sitting through all the uninterruptable cutscenes and intros again to properly start a third game.

Chateau Irenicus 2.0. >_<

Irenicus actually translates to awesome. So Chateau Irenicus is literally Chateau Awesome. Would wouldn't want to revisit a place called awesome?

Besides, if ME2 intro cut-scenes really bother you, just alt-tab out. They'll play in the background. Kinda pointless though since you're willfully depriving yourself of awesomeness.

manthing2.jpg

You can't alt-tab out on the 360.

Quick question: is playing as an infiltrator a good choice for insanity difficulty and is it all that much different from other classes?

You can't skip the intros, but you can prevent the game from playing them.

Go to Mass Effect 2\BioGame\Movies and change the extension of the following files to .bak:

BWLogo

ME2_006_ON_AntiGlamour2

ME2_Opening_SunMid_INT

ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw

NumberReel

Opening_End_Seq

Opening_End_SeqFM

Opening_Seq_INT

ProNor_Pod2

ProNor_Shepard_Rebuilt

ProNorEscape

ProNorEscapeAsh

ProNorEscapeKaid

The only thing this doesn't skip is, obviously, the Normandy segment where you have to go save Joker, but all intermingling movies before and between that and the character creation menu are gone. Also disabled are the EA and Bioware logos that play on startup.

And yeah, Adept is a bit of a chore to play - if on Veteran or below, he's full of win buttons. If on Hardcore or above... he's basically useless.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.