What are You playing now?

Gorth

How does one get a ratio above 1 is beyond me. Good thing I don't mind dying.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Still Borderlands, with hubby on LAN. Altho for some reason our LAN sometimes gets that weird delay, where he can pick up a weapon off the ground but it doesn't show on my monitor for several seconds, causing a frame 'jump'. Annoying. Maybe my computer is too fast compared to his? Or some settings somewhere. Or the cheap wireless he picked up.

Anyway, other than that, it's kinda fun to play the game together, but I think Borderlands makes a better single-player game...say, vs. D2...at least for the campaign.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How does one get a ratio above 1 is beyond me. Good thing I don't mind dying.

Mostly its just a question of choosing the right weapon for your playing style and not rushing mad into the action. If you go in all gung-ho, then you WILL get shot/knifed from behind or the flanks while your busy shooting stuff. A friend of mine just loves diving headfirst into the action and today was one example

NORBERT: CHAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!

ME: Man, there Norbert goes off again. I think I count to five, see how long before he gets shot.

DOGBERT: Nah, he got shot in the face with a SPAS12 while you were half-sentence.

ME: Oh.. that has to be some kind of record.

DOGBERT: Not really, he did the same thing yesterday.

*all names are completely fictional

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Medieval Total War 2. Just Rome : TW with Knights, but is pretty fun.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Computer messed up so it's back to the PS2 (Too cheap to buy a next generation system) Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance playing on hard with the Dwarf fighter.

Any good western style, non-Japanese RGP's on the PS2 system? Anyone?

No, you're playing the only one worth noting.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Guest Slinky

Just finished The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. Went straight to my all time favorites list. If you are like me and you found Dragon Age lacking in story/sidequest/atmosphere deparment and tactical combat isn't the main thing to you, I couldn't more strongly recommend The Witcher. Get it ASAP!

Any good western style, non-Japanese RGP's on the PS2 system? Anyone?

No. But if you drop your preconceptions and just want to play a great game, I'd suggest you to look up Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest Slinky
Yeeeess, another convert to my cause.

Oh crap, better spray some rodent poison around my apartment. You're not going to get me alive!

Just finished The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. Went straight to my all time favorites list. If you are like me and you found Dragon Age lacking in story/sidequest/atmosphere department and tactical combat isn't the main thing to you, I couldn't more strongly recommend The Witcher. Get it ASAP!
You could've said this before I bought DA. :/ :biggrin:

I don't know much of the backstory of WoW's development, but from what I've always heard, they were super surprised by the amount of adoptation it had by the community - I think they said that they bought twice as many servers as they thought they would need at launch, with the goal to use half of them immediately and bring the rest online over the next year, and then they wound up having to activate them all within the first week to account for the massive number of people who bought the game as soon as it came out. So it's possible that the kind of resources they gained from the massive amount of subscribers allowed them to be more ambitious with the expansion and do things like flying mounts that weren't originally planned for.

In the end you don't really notice too much about not being able to fly in the old world - you're really not there a huge amount if you're above 60, anyway.

Anyway, my flying carpet is awesome.

Matthew Rorie

Just finished The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. Went straight to my all time favorites list. If you are like me and you found Dragon Age lacking in story/sidequest/atmosphere department and tactical combat isn't the main thing to you, I couldn't more strongly recommend The Witcher. Get it ASAP!
You could've said this before I bought DA. :/ :p

Witcher EE > DA

manthing2.jpg

You could've said this before I bought DA. :/ :p

Witcher EE > DA

One of these days I'll get around to picking up a copy of The Witcher.

I thought the erotic art was well done, even if I didn't like the over all mechanic. Better than DA's sex scenes at least.

I'm not sure how the Witcher could be better than Dragon Age though. Perhaps I just didn't get into Geralt as other's did.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm itching to participate and start a flame war but can't since I still refuse to play Dragon Age. :p

Really Bos, failing to acknowledge that the Witcher had much more going for it than just the erotic stuff, whether you liked it or not, is complete pigheadedness.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I liked the witcher better as well. The postcards were silly, but he was supposed to be a Don Juan, getting farmer's daughters into trouble, so it kinda made sense.

DA failed to move me, probably because the entire premise and setting was so generic and uninteresting. Parts of Orzamar were good, other than that not many highlights. Some of the voice acting was so bad I found myself hitting the escape button to skip on my first play-through.

Withcer was intermittently good. I liked the two village areas for instance.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I prefer the Witcher's setting & atmosphere over DA's.

Also, imo environments are much better done in the Witcher. Compare Denerim to Vizima, for instance. The world in the Witcher feels alive, while in DA (just like in ME) the same NPCs stand around at the same spot for ever. In the Witcher citizens will comment as you pass them & they run off when it's raining, among other things.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I'm not sure how the Witcher could be better than Dragon Age though. Perhaps I just didn't get into Geralt as other's did.

I remember being so instantly hooked that I suffered through the 5 minute loading times and choppiness of the unpatched version all the way to the end. But not because of Geralt, more the depressingly pretty graphics and music in the beginning village and the vizima temple quarter. The everything is falling apart atmosphere of the game really struck a chord with me.

I'm surprised you didn't find the humor and in jokes engaging at the very least.

logosig2.jpg

I remember being so instantly hooked that I suffered through the 5 minute loading times and choppiness of the unpatched version all the way to the end. But not because of Geralt, more the depressingly pretty graphics and music in the beginning village and the vizima temple quarter. The everything is falling apart atmosphere of the game really struck a chord with me.

I'm surprised you didn't find the humor and in jokes engaging at the very least.

I liked the Witcher. I thought it was very well done in parts and am looking forward to the sequel. However, I don't see it being better than Dragon Age for a number of reasons.

Gameplay:

Witcher - Click the mouse button at the right time to create sword combos and toss in an occasional spell

Dragon Age - Control four characters with a large variety of spells and abilities

PC:

Witcher - Geralt, Geralt, and Geralt

Dragon Age - Able to choose my gender, race, appearance, and class.

Length:

Witcher -

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Guest Slinky

Matters of taste and so on. To me DA felt just overlong game filled with nothing but darkspawn/other monster killing in a boring static world, while TW felt just the opposite. It's just amazing to me how great game CD Project RED managed to make as their first game ever.

Guest Slinky
I liked the Witcher. I thought it was very well done in parts and am looking forward to the sequel. However, I don't see it being better than Dragon Age for a number of reasons.

Gameplay:

Witcher - Click the mouse button at the right time to create sword combos and toss in an occasional spell

Dragon Age - Control four characters with a large variety of spells and abilities

I agree, combat system in TW was it's weakest link.

PC:

Witcher - Geralt, Geralt, and Geralt

Dragon Age - Able to choose my gender, race, appearance, and class.

Matter of taste, I have no problem what so ever with pre-defined characters.

Length:

Witcher – 20-30 hours

Dragon Age – about 80 hours

Witcher: Great atmosphere, great sidequests in a great living-feeling world.

DA: Endless darkspawn killing in a boring static world with only a few good moments.

And I think I spend as much hours with TW as with DA, about 60-70 hours.

Story:

I have to say that the motives of the Salimandra made about as much sense as Loghain’s. BioWare added ‘and there’s a dark, evil horde trying to destroy everything too!’

The main story could have been better in both games. Although in the end of TW I was like "WHOA!" and in DA I was like "thank god it's over"

But like I said, matters of taste ;)

Matters of taste and so on. To me DA felt just overlong game filled with nothing but darkspawn/other monster killing in a boring static world, while TW felt just the opposite. It's just amazing to me how great game CD Project RED managed to make as their first game ever.

Well, CD Projeckt did spend 3 or 4 years on it. Actually, cancel that, DA was in development since 2004. I would disagree with you on the overlong part, though. Yeah, DA feels overlong, but so does TW. I mean, the time you spend walking around in TW is ridiculous. Some sort of fast-travel system a la Mysteries of Westgate would have made a huge difference. Otherwise, I agree, TW's world felt more palpable. CD Projekt even got it down to details like people running for cover when rain began, or going about their work during the day and retreating to their houses at night. Plus, the day/night cycle actually had some influence over gameplay (could have had more, but it's better than nothing).

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes