What Are You Playing Now?

^ oh yes it can ;)

Anyway, Musopticon thanks for the heads up, it looks right up my street. It's online D2D as per Morgie's link (I like calling him Morgie, it sort of takes the sting out of his tail) but can't find the XP, I'd like to buy them together but not via Steam.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

PC - Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

PC - Madden 08 using the 2010 Mod

PS2 - MVP 05 season with the Padres

PS2 - NCAA 2010 season with the SDSU Aztecs

PS2 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance with the FF

It's like flirting with a fat chick. Nothing good can come from it.

Oh come on now who couldn't use a good BJ?

BG1 w/ tutu, Unfinished Business, and NPC project installed.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Dawn of War 2, it's actually really good. It's got that I want phat loot addiction to it, leveling up is rather shallow, but I didn't expect it to be that deep. Now if only you could be chaos.

I played a bit of that... I found that the biggest failing it had was that there were effectively 3 levels with different skins, Seek and Kill, Defend locations, and building grab. The tiny squad size and map size, (and repetition of the maps) makes it so you feel like you're playing the same levels 5 hours in as you did after you finished the tutorial maps.

Still playing WoW... appears I'm being made the leader of the tanks simply because I'm the only tank (who's primarily a tank, not a consistant fill in) who knows what he's doing. Hopefully I can bring this guild back on track after the previous leadership ended up disappearing right before I joined in September. Horde side my DK (which is technically my alt character) actually managed to start out gearing my warrior, by virtue of some of the lower gear level items are actually MUCH better for me to be wearing as a tank in favor of high level items.

Thinking about picking up Call of Duty MW2, but resisting. Mainly because I wanna grab it on PC but without the dedicated servers and some of the interesting balance choices the devs made, it seems like there's an obvious imabalance in favor of the guy running the server. Also the campaign is supposedly tiny.

Did a tiny bit more left 4 dead 2, not much. I can't get into the characters as much as I could in L4D1 (as odd as that sounds). Probably because they seem to have MUCH less dialogue and personality than the previous game. Of course this may also be because I haven't actually gone from start to finish through all the campaigns. Also I think they need to clean out the guns a bit. I understand that they did need to buff the variety of guns from the previous five, but having 2 shotguns 2 ars, and 2 SMG's that all do about the same thing (as well as another version of each that is markedly better) just seems overkill.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Did a tiny bit more left 4 dead 2, not much. I can't get into the characters as much as I could in L4D1 (as odd as that sounds). Probably because they seem to have MUCH less dialogue and personality than the previous game. Of course this may also be because I haven't actually gone from start to finish through all the campaigns. Also I think they need to clean out the guns a bit. I understand that they did need to buff the variety of guns from the previous five, but having 2 shotguns 2 ars, and 2 SMG's that all do about the same thing (as well as another version of each that is markedly better) just seems overkill.

Is it just me, or does everyone seem to only play Dead Center and Dark Carnival? I haven't tried any pub games yet, but every time I get invited to a game it's always one of those two maps. Eventually I'll get around to the others. I'm glad I waited to pick it up on sale. It does have more content and more variety, but I can't seem to shake the feeling that it's just a big mod. It's well put together, but still. All the story bits they added don't seem to work very well either. For a game that is built around multiplayer, people just don't shut up long enough for you to listen to what the characters are saying.

There is something about the whole thing that just seems a little off to me, but I can't quite figure out just what it is. -_-

Is it just me, or does everyone seem to only play Dead Center and Dark Carnival? I haven't tried any pub games yet, but every time I get invited to a game it's always one of those two maps. Eventually I'll get around to the others. I'm glad I waited to pick it up on sale. It does have more content and more variety, but I can't seem to shake the feeling that it's just a big mod. It's well put together, but still. All the story bits they added don't seem to work very well either. For a game that is built around multiplayer, people just don't shut up long enough for you to listen to what the characters are saying.

There is something about the whole thing that just seems a little off to me, but I can't quite figure out just what it is. -_-

I think it's mainly because of the way that the levels are. All the quotes and stuff are done when you're either about to, or are being run over by an army of zombies so people are yelling about this that or the other thing. In the previous game it was usually in a place where you didn't have anyone discussing or trying to flee. And you're right, it does just feel like it's a big mod. The characters don't have enough different lines for events (they say the SAME BLOODY THING over and over and over again when they get friendly fired, or find an item). The lines aren't delivered at the right times, the levels aren't as tight as before.

Story wise (and while you may thing this is idiotic considering the game is effectively multiplayer only with little meaning for the story) it doesn't hold up. The basic thread is the same as before, four people getting together to try to be rescued. But unlike in the first one, each campaign is in a chronological order with the survival of the first campaigns finale being led to the second campaigns start. But with this comes the necessity of connecting each campaign, usually handled in games by having a short cutscene or something to show what's happening between missions. In L4D2 the only explanation given for why you go from a helicopter ride to having to get through a zombie infested swamp is that the helicopter pilot went zombie and the characters shot him and crashed. This is all told in in game dialoge, no small cutscene showing it, nothing. Just a line in the game while you're blowing brains out. Also they never really give a reason that they're actually trying to run south. The developers say its' because they're trying to get to land where the infection is easily kept out (an island whatever) but they don't actually mention this in the parts of the game I've seen.

The environments, while interesting in their variety, are to expansive, but at the same time the forced choke points (including one rather infamous one that I ran with der including a roller coaster) are much to easy to take advantage of if the infected have ANY intelligence. Becuase of the expansive areas, you can sometimes have serious problems with where you're going to spawn. The introduction of the new infected is ok, but not fantastic. The spitter is far to easy to play with and get large damage numbers posted (against or for you depending on the side... and the AI rocks with them) Jockeys are actually nicely balanced, and Chargers have a tendancy to get caught up on random bumps in the wall without actually hitting the survivors. A team of survivors can EASILY be held in position by an intelligent spitter and boomer combo, boomer starts by making them all biled, then while they're holeing up the spitter fires and usually gets a significant damage on each one. Chargers can be fantastic on the few locations where there are tight corridors, but out in an open field they're screwed. Jockeys are much more flexible as they can be used quite effectively to down a person who gets just a TINY bit to far from the other survivors.

The new ammo does little to actually add anything to the maps as it only lasts one clip from your main weapon (meaning most people use it within a minute of grabbing it) and probably would have done better if they'd thrown it into an actual set of weapons. Melee DOES significantly change the game, in L4D1 I LOVED to run with duel pistols, they had decent damage, good accuracy, but low clip size. Fairly balanced, and could take down a horde fairly quick if you were low on main ammo. The new pistols (the basic ones) feel a tiny bit underpowered and often I find myself regretting picking them over a melee simply because the melee is just SO good at cleaning out the zombies within arms reach of you. The tier 2 pistol is another matter, it's back about where the pistols were from the first game, but with a bit more power behind it to make up for the fact you can only carry one, and thus fire 7 shots before a reload.

But still, the lack of story elements that are shown, character depth like what we saw in the first game, and environments that feel like they were put together by amateurs makes this feel like a mod. I do admit, I've only really played two maps to the finale and survived on co-op mode, but I've played all but one to the finale on vs. and it just doesn't show the polish that L4D1 showed. If I were to be showed L4D1 and then later L4D2 my impressions would probably be either mod, or massive patch for what the devs WANTED in the first game but couldn't fit due to time pressures.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

May I recommend this little modification it adds more people to the various queues.. it's one of the annoying things about the game, after 40 or so years you'll be running out of people because your stars need 3-5 assistants each - and let's face it, Hollywood isn't exactly known for it's lack of brown-noseing suck-ups.

Fortune favors the bald.

I tried to play Mass Effect again. Then I ran into

with some extra popping textures. Am I the only one who just cannot stand Bioware's cutscenes? They're just so badly "filmed".

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

They are quite amateurish. They should seriously consider giving the job to senior film students, of some Toronto filmschool, and have them direct their cutscenes.. it would be great, it could shoehorn more directing professionalism into the gaming industry and give some selected young students a chance to try out some different medias.

Fortune favors the bald.

Finished Kotor 2 last week with the restoration contend mod *awesome*

I am now playing Dragon Age.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I tried to play Mass Effect again. Then I ran into
with some extra popping textures. Am I the only one who just cannot stand Bioware's cutscenes? They're just so badly "filmed".

Texture popping issue is likely related to the version of UE3 that ME used, texture popping is nasty, but related to streaming textures.

On the matter of cutscene direction, I've seen worse alot more often in far bigger games, and far bigger movies/TV shows.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Put MotB on a hiatus after a ridiculously tough fight and getting plot doors as a reward for it (stuff like this kinda kills the mood).

Found out -for like the 3rd time- about the Open Source Project for Freespace 2, so a reinstall is in order.

Found out -for like the 3rd time- about the Open Source Project for Freespace 2, so a reinstall is in order.

How do you get FS2 to work? I can't find any OpenGl drivers at all..

What do you mean? FS2 with SCP doesn't need any extra opengl drivers. You ARE using SCP, right?

Not me, but right this minute hubby is playing Tombraider:Underworld.

Me:"Like it?"

Hubby:"It's ok. Not sure I like the movement & other stuff, they're always changing things."

Me:"But at least her arse isn't all pointy like in days of yore, eh?"

Hubby: "There is that. It's a little flat, tho."

;)

hubby-gaming1.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts