Dragon Age

Why is it difficult to imagine when it was supposed to be a PC game all along? Console versions are nothing more than (possibly hasty) ports.

DA got delayed because the console version wasn't ready yet, so I don't think this port will be lacking.

That only proves that it was delayed so they would have something for the consoles at all. In fact we know they're lacking since combat has been gimped.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I can so see Shale trying to cut himself, failing and then crying alone in the corner.

"I just want to feel... something"

Oh great, so Raphael Sbarge is doing some voicework afterall. :sorcerer:

Hey hey hey, don't hate on Sbarge here. He's a damn good voice actor, and he played Delta 62 in Republic Commando so I can't not like the guy.

... he just played a very whiny character once.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I can so see Shale trying to cut himself, failing and then crying alone in the corner.

"I just want to feel... something"

Oh great, so Raphael Sbarge is doing some voicework afterall. :sorcerer:

Hey hey hey, don't hate on Sbarge here. He's a damn good voice actor, and he played Delta 62 in Republic Commando so I can't not like the guy.

... he just played a very whiny character once.

He whined in ME too. But at least he became very well acquainted with the nuke I left on Virmire. :sweat:

manthing2.jpg

Why is it difficult to imagine when it was supposed to be a PC game all along? Console versions are nothing more than (possibly hasty) ports.

DA got delayed because the console version wasn't ready yet, so I don't think this port will be lacking.

That only proves that it was delayed so they would have something for the consoles at all. In fact we know they're lacking since combat has been gimped.

Or maybe it proves that the game was delayed to finish it properly. If they release it too soon then it's rushed, but if they don't release it 'cause it's not ready yet, then it's ...rushed too? Don't be ridiculous.

How is combat gimped? Less but more powerful enemies because of console limitations?

How is combat gimped? Less but more powerful enemies because of console limitations?

Iirc, it also lacks the overhead view.

It does, but that still doesn't make the port rushed.

I didn't say it was rushed, I said it was possibly rushed. You said the ports weren't lacking, and I proved that they are.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

You don't gain more XP for playing solo.

Can you explain this a bit? Lets say you have one party member and kill one darkspawn for 100xp. If you have two party members kill one darkspawn both get 100xp each? Not 50xp each?

That sounds likely, as other Bio games have done the same.

I think there is a mortal fear these days of having underlevel friendly NPCs, so the solution is to lock the entire party at the same level. Thus, if you could solo and gain loads of XP, the game would level up your NPCs to match and it would be 'cheap.' I don't agree with the sentiment, but I understand where they might be coming from.

Can you explain this a bit? Lets say you have one party member and kill one darkspawn for 100xp. If you have two party members kill one darkspawn both get 100xp each? Not 50xp each?
From what I heard, every active party member gets the full mob xp, and the camping ones get reduced xp. Edited by Oner

That sounds likely, as other Bio games have done the same.

I think there is a mortal fear these days of having underlevel friendly NPCs, so the solution is to lock the entire party at the same level. Thus, if you could solo and gain loads of XP, the game would level up your NPCs to match and it would be 'cheap.' I don't agree with the sentiment, but I understand where they might be coming from.

From what I heard, every active party member gets the full mob xp, and the camping ones get reduced xp.

Interesting. So they probably even get exp when they're face down on the dungeon floor. There is literally no penalty for death that cant be fixed with a potion.

I suppose thats helpful for kooks like me who would reload in BG if even one member died as I wanted everyone in the party on close to the same level, lol.

EDIT: I see now that you said "active", so do dead/unconscious NPC's not get the exp?

Edited by Gfted1

The only benefit from not completely sharing exp between all members of a potential party (ie keeping all NPCs at equal levels) is that solo runs become unfeasible. Otherwise its just an enormous relief that reaching an NPC late (under leveled) wont stop you from being able to utilize him.

ive always hated that dead npcs didnt get the xp. so you only learn from a fight when the killing blow is struck? that's stupid, you'd probably learn more of a lesson from getting beat down to near death/death than you would from just decapitating another orc.

plus, it meant constantly reloading my saves to make sure that my party was all getting max xp.

on the other hand, i think death should have enough of a penalty that you dont need a party wipeout to feel the sting of a poorly planned attack. i think a very expensive pheonix down covers that nicely, something thats not prohibitively expensive, but pricey enough that you regret deaths when they occur (but not so much you just reload every time a person dies). the price should scale with the party's level.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

ive always hated that dead npcs didnt get the xp. so you only learn from a fight when the killing blow is struck? that's stupid, you'd probably learn more of a lesson from getting beat down to near death/death than you would from just decapitating another orc.

plus, it meant constantly reloading my saves to make sure that my party was all getting max xp.

on the other hand, i think death should have enough of a penalty that you dont need a party wipeout to feel the sting of a poorly planned attack. i think a very expensive pheonix down covers that nicely, something thats not prohibitively expensive, but pricey enough that you regret deaths when they occur (but not so much you just reload every time a person dies). the price should scale with the party's level.

I get your point but I would like to point out that no, you shouldnt learn anything from being dead. :thumbsup:

Well, yeah, but you could also just have everyone start out at max level so as not to be burdened with having to raise them. IMO, the NPC's in camp getting exp "just because" is a bit weak.

Yeah, but if you ever want to use one of those characters later you can't, because they suck. It's a necessary evil.

Well, yeah, but you could also just have everyone start out at max level so as not to be burdened with having to raise them. IMO, the NPC's in camp getting exp "just because" is a bit weak.

Yeah, but if you ever want to use one of those characters later you can't, because they suck. It's a necessary evil.

The problem is that they hang around a magical camp forever without doing anything. It's retarded. If Bioware wants you to have the NPCs always following you around for story purposes, what would make sense would be for you to be able to have all the characters in the party at the same time, thus allowing for much more varied and interesting combat.

Furthermore, it could turn the characters into something more than the typical spineless puppets, and it would allow for potentially awesome party banter. But, of course, Bioware aren't the self-proclaimed champions of storytelling in games or anything. :thumbsup:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Does whipping out 3 lvl 5 chars against lvl 20 enemies count as varied and interesting combat? Or using the same 3 throughout the game because the others are under leveled?

Btw they did this so the player isn't stuck with a quote "dream team" and can change them when/if she wants to.