Dragon Age

I would say the last crpog I played that required thought in combat was IWD2. But that was mostly due to the one single Call To Arms feature where you would get swarmed by every hostile nearby.

It was challenging in its own way, but not a lot of fun. Mostly due to the repitive nature of the combat gameplay vs any problem with the concept of the call to arms thingie.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If they had, why are most of the reviewers saying that it's hard and that they had to lower the difficulty at times? That's coming from people who play games for a living, if it's hard for them, it's going to be harder for Average Joe.

Probably depends on how they actually went about playing DA, did they play it like these two @ Giant bomb? Where they have a mage character running straight into the fray? Of course it'll be difficult that way, what should one expect?

New crpg archetype: Magetank.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Why is everyone hating on the Giant Bomb dudes? They're awesome and they were just messing around in the quick look.

My point was that the average dude is not better than the average reviewer.

Not hating, simply using them as an example. :thumbsup:

If they had, why are most of the reviewers saying that it's hard and that they had to lower the difficulty at times? That's coming from people who play games for a living, if it's hard for them, it's going to be harder for Average Joe.

Let's not forget that most people in this forum have more hours in CRPGs than 99 % of paid reviewers. :thumbsup:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

New crpg archetype: Magetank.

You mean cleric? Send them into a sea of enemies and cast Implosion = win.

That said, if the only difference between easy and normal mode in DA is the lack of friendly fire, I expect it to be as challenging as NWN or NWN2 on normal mode.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Let's not forget that most people in this forum have more hours in CRPGs than 99 % of paid reviewers. :thumbsup:

I was comparing the reviewers to the "normal gamers" that will probably make up most of DA's player base. Obviously people who go to a RPG-centric forum are pretty good at RPGs.

Especially to start the game, I expect even people here will have a hard time with some fights as they learn the system and get used to the fact that combat will be hard (well, maybe less so now that I am warning you).

There are some very difficult fights in this game, even in the early portion. And they aren't even all boss fights. Some of the "speedbump" encounters can be pretty challenging if you're caught unaware.

Guards in Thief 1 were supposed to be unbeatable in frontal fights. I beat 3 of them at once. When I was 10. Without a scratch. So yeah...

death per second instead of damage per second? ;) Edited by Oner

Especially to start the game, I expect even people here will have a hard time with some fights as they learn the system and get used to the fact that combat will be hard (well, maybe less so now that I am warning you).

There are some very difficult fights in this game, even in the early portion. And they aren't even all boss fights. Some of the "speedbump" encounters can be pretty challenging if you're caught unaware.

Are you calling us not-hardcore? We're as hardcore as they come, those Bio boards pansies haven got nothing on us!

Guards in Thief 1 were supposed to be unbeatable in frontal fights. I beat 3 of them at once. When I was 10. Without a scratch. So yeah...

And I'd expect nothing less of you.

death per second instead of damage per second? ;)

Cthulhu: 1d6 investigators per round.

Edited by Purkake

I think game industry have to accept low difficulty curve at least for the moment. World of Warcraft was great game to see what average players can an cannot do. I wasn't in the most hardcore of the guild, but still in 5% of all raiding guilds. Difficulty of many of the raid encounters was really high, not because of individual tasks were very complex, but for the fact that 40-25 players all had to be successful on some mindnumbingly simple task. Guess what, people still falied on 'em, time after time. I'd say to the point where pushing red or blue button (or different symbols) on correct time becomes a risky manouver.

This means that players can't be bothered to learn even the most simple of the tasks, unless by heavy repeatation. And in singleplayer games that's not an option because there's no peer pressure from other players to keep that player going, he'll just quit the game. Player might quit MMOG too but often social connections (and other easier content) keep players interested. Dragon Age example is badly build mage, with sub optimal party just running around like chicken without the head. Old school game design would say that person have to fail horribly and maybe he'll learn from his mistakes. Nowadays we have to reward that same player, no matter how stupidly he plays. Because he's "valuable" customer. This can only be done by very easy difficulty curves, to the point of triviality. I'd say maybe it might be ok option to allow players to skip all combat if they so choose (or autowin). At least then developers could design difficult encounter without watering 'em down.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

And I'd expect nothing less of you.

;)

Old school game design would say that person have to fail horribly and maybe he'll learn from his mistakes. Nowadays we have to reward that same player, no matter how stupidly he plays. Because he's "valuable" customer. This can only be done by very easy difficulty curves, to the point of triviality. I'd say maybe it might be ok option to allow players to skip all combat if they so choose (or autowin). At least then developers could design difficult encounter without watering 'em down.
This. All hail the democratisation of games. Customers have a RIGHT to snore their way through epic fights, you know!

Imma solo this bitch, Gaesatae-style.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

With the exception of Demon's Souls, every RPG I've played in the last five years (Obsidian's included) has been depressingly easy.

You need to play the Gothic series then.

Not only will all the weird creatures beat you up, you will also have to fight innumerable bugs! JOY!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

With the exception of Demon's Souls, every RPG I've played in the last five years (Obsidian's included) has been depressingly easy.

You need to play the Gothic series then.

Not only will all the weird creatures beat you up, you will also have to fight innumerable bugs! JOY!

I never encountered more then 4 bugs in any Gothic game.

Imma solo this bitch, Gaesatae-style.

"Rabu!", that's the spirit

Could someone post the most recent minimum reqs for DA? I want to see how horribly it will run on my jury rig.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Could someone post the most recent minimum reqs for DA? I want to see how horribly it will run on my jury rig.

Windows XP Minimum Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater

AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater

RAM: 1GB or more

Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater

DVD ROM (Physical copy)

20 GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater

AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater

RAM: 1.5 GB or more

Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater

DVD ROM (Physical copy)

20 GB HD space

Recommended Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent

AMD Phenom II X3 Triple-Core 2.8 GHz or greater

RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)

Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater

NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater

DVD ROM (Physical copy)

20 GB HD space

It's been said over at the Bioware forums that if you can run the character creator for DA: Origins, there is a good chance to you might just be able to run game. I can run the DA: Character Creator; I doubt, however, that I'm able to run the full game with my 6 year old computer...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I read a preview last week and the journalist had taken note of the pc spec of his demo session, it was a dual core C2D chip running at 2.5ghz with an 8800gt graphics card, everything was cranked up (including 8x AA) and he said the game never dropped a frame.

Sounds promising, I'd guess the game can be scaled down for older computers quite well.

On the subject of difficulty, games with interesting ideas and hardcore difficulty are actually being released, most of them are downloadable titles on the PSN or 360 Marketplace though, it's a start ;)

There's a big difference between an arcade shmup(that's tautology btw) and a tactically sound and challenging rpg.

There's a case to be made for hard rpgs, but unfortunately those often translate to metagaming, chartology and munchkinism when it comes to gameplay.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds