Dragon Age

A snippet from the way too long Eurogamer preview.

It's also beautifully presented, with a superb interface, crisp graphics, and a stable, smooth and scalable engine. If only all PC games were this well sorted this far in advance of release - or even at the point of release, come to that. For once, the tables are turned, and the question mark hangs over the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions that we haven't seen yet (aside from one brief glimpse) and that, to be honest, we find difficult to imagine. Perhaps that's no more than an indication of how perfectly this version has been tailored to its format; it feels like the consummate, traditional PC RPG. BioWare has come home.

Jagged Alliance 2 would be a much much easier game if after a battle where 17 mercs "died" they were all better again afterwards.

Reloading a game and having to replay through a major battle again is a lot more difficult than just being able to plow while losing most of your party members in the process.

Understand, I'm not in any way criticising Bioware or Dragon Age here. My guess is that they know what they are doing and it will be a fun game.

Yes, in JA2 some fights could last for 1-2 real-time hours... BUT you could save at any time during the battles. That way, if the unthinkable happened you didn't have to start the entire battle over again. You just had to restart from your last save point. Which in my case, was probably just a few minutes. I didn't allow my people to die, lol, and I'm too lazy to spend up to 6 hours replaying one lousy battle!

In the Bio games, IIRC, you cannot save during combat so if you blow a big battle, you're starting it over... and probably with an annoying 20 minute cutscene that you cannot skip. ;)

Wouldn't it be awesome if Bioware manages to revive the pc crpg not once but twice?

Go Go Dragon Age!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

^ Unless I'm very much mistaken, Shale seems to be VO'd by Sean Pertwee.

Which is a good thing, BTW.

Huh, I had to relisten it just to hear that. I'm not picking that up, with the distortion effect, but if you're right, my hat's off.

Of course, I've been mostly hearing him in the Emirates terminal ad on Eurosport (that I'm sure is him). :)

Let's all imagine another universe were Bioware leading men were voiced by Sean Pertwee and not Raphael Sbarge. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Geez, do we really need a wise-cracking golem? Don't we already have Alistair?

Couldn't they make him more golem-y and less "I hide my deep dark past behind my wise-cracking facade, but deep down I cry myself to sleep every night"?

Please tell me that at least Dog doesn't make bad jokes or have a dark past.

DA golems are dwarven warriors who agreed to have molten lyrium poured on them so their souls could be forever trapped in the fantasy equivalent of a tank.

It is dark fantasy. Followers with a happy, lovely lives don't fit the game.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

With permadeath, they have to make the fight easier because you're only as strong as the weakest link, plus you're more at the mercy of randomness. Like the Dukes in MoW, I don't know how anyone would win that if you had to keep everyone alive. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice some pawns.

L2P N00B!!!!1!11!

Erm, actually, Charissa's Word of Faith = you win. There's always an exploit.

Geez, do we really need a wise-cracking golem? Don't we already have Alistair?

Couldn't they make him more golem-y and less "I hide my deep dark past behind my wise-cracking facade, but deep down I cry myself to sleep every night"?

Please tell me that at least Dog doesn't make bad jokes or have a dark past.

DA golems are dwarven warriors who agreed to have molten lyrium poured on them so their souls could be forever trapped in the fantasy equivalent of a tank.

It is dark fantasy. Followers with a happy, lovely lives don't fit the game.

That's pretty weird.

Can dark fantasy have people without a dark past, though? There's all kinds of fun psychoses you can pick up when living forever.

Edited by Purkake

That's pretty weird.

Can dark fantasy have people without a dark past, though? There's all kinds of fun psychoses you can pick up when living forever.

Dark fantasy can have characters without a dark past if they quickly shatter that innocence with a suitably horrific event. ;)

I'm interested in how dark fantasy the game will actually be though. The majority of dark fantasy I've encountered has been in novels, and there's no way you could show the same content as many of them in a game ane not have it rated Ao and banned in various areas.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Awww, The Iron Giant was super sad :)

Why what happened? :o

I promise I won't cry but lord help them if they pulled a Bambi or Littlefoot...not that a strong manly guy like yours truly has seen such movies let alone cried, but, um, for sake of posterity.

manthing2.jpg

Why is it difficult to imagine when it was supposed to be a PC game all along? Console versions are nothing more than (possibly hasty) ports.

DA got delayed because the console version wasn't ready yet, so I don't think this port will be lacking.

Utterly unrelated: why isn't the forum engine showing my sexy new avatar?

Edited by Oner

Watch it alone or with the girlfriend? I'm the type of guy who cried at the end of Terminator 2, and Gladiator FFS! I can't risk get caught teary eyed in front of my biatch.

Do it with the girlfriend, chicks dig crying an' s**t. Makes you score big time later.

As for the golem, damn, couldn't they just have a golem that is quite accustomed and even celebrating the fact of being a golem? Instead of a dark past, can't we have a golem that just wants to be part of society and be a nice, eh guy?

Well, you can't have everything, can you?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Dark fantasy... add in a touch of Cthulhu...

Hm, roll up a character. Go mad, die horribly. Roll up a new character. Suffer tragedy , dark and brooding past. then go mad.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."