What are you playing now?

Pidesco

You might like it, which is totally fine, but please don't try to defend it.

That's EXACTLY what I say to people about Oblivion. Kudos.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Meh, it's a deliberate game mechanic.

Like the Doom 3 flashlight, which I actually liked. I enjoyed having to decide between whether or not I could see my enemy, or make effective attacks against it. See, it's not hard to defend something.

If you like it, it's a bit easier to defend it.

Thinking about buying No More Heroes, can anyone here recommend it?

The game is only $20. The open world is pretty meh, but the boss fights are neat and the storyline is totally nuts in a good way. I bought it for $40 and felt it was worth it.

So every other game is doing it wrong and RE5 is actually the sole bastion of realism in an otherwise empty wasteland of non-realistic games?

It's solely a stupid holdover from the time when you didn't have the Gears of War style shooting mechanics and had to enter a different "mode" to shoot.

You might like it, which is totally fine, but please don't try to defend it.

I think it's pretty silly to claim that it's inherently evil/indefensible to not allow run and gun.

Playing devils advocate, in the right kind of environment couldn't the Resident Evil system be more tactically interesting as the decision of whether or not to move is weightier? Particularly when fighting lots of melee enemies, where the natural tendency of a player might be to just run backwards and fire?

Full disclosure, I have spent a lot of time thinking about how to deal with shooting mechanics in a scary game filled with primarily melee opponents :p

Done quite a bit of Chapter 1 in the Witcher, second playthrough, still 1.1 since I gave up on downloading 2gb of EE/patches.

Game actually feels a lot less fedex / run-around even in Ch1 when you actually have 20+ fps, loading times are alright even on 1.1 as well. I'm playing on Normal and it feels a lot easier than last time where I would occasionally die, which is a little disappointing. Non-EE english dialogue is again clipped, but the game still remains very very fun.

Kind of forgot what decisions I made the first time, but maybe I'll choose to be a lot less sympathetic with the nonhumans this time.

Did some l4d with Der and later on Bok.

Started out fairly even with both sides being able to pull vicious combos to murder one another, then Lordmatthias had to go and we replaced him with Bok. We promptly got whupped.

*smokers the AI player into a wall and the ai's teammates disturb the witch leading to a twin incap*

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Managed to get Outcast running! Some sound problems which ain't good since the musics so great but it seems cool beans now.

Outcast? The really old Infrogrames game where the player-character runs around in his orange jumpsuit and headset? I have that one somewhere. I remember liking it for about 10 hours, but then I stopped playing. Can't remember why.

Or were you talking about Jedi Outcast or something else...

Myself, I had a bee in the bonnet and started playing MM8. I couldn't get it to run at first, something about XP/sound acceleration, DX, and it not being able to cope w/the fact that I have 2GB memory on my XP machine while the game wants 32MB. Harhar. I had to find/download a fan-made XP patch and now it's all fine.

It's been 6-7 years since I played this game but it all came back to me quickly...that and the help of my copious notes, which I still had. I miss games like this...the graphics are crap of course, but I still miss it. I'm having a blast. Funny how for me, the better the graphics, the less immersive the gaming experience has become. It's not that I don't love the pretty tho...I dunno, it's weird.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Managed to get Outcast running! Some sound problems which ain't good since the musics so great but it seems cool beans now.

Outcast? The really old Infrogrames game where the player-character runs around in his orange jumpsuit and headset? I have that one somewhere. I remember liking it for about 10 hours, but then I stopped playing. Can't remember why.

Ha ha! The orange jumpsuit, that's the one! I've had trouble finishing in the past too, it's surprisingly dense and I can't tell one Talan from another. Still looks great though!

It's a holdover from earlier console action/adventure games where you had two different systems/control schemes for walking around and aiming the gun.

This is nonsense. It's got nothing to to do with which games do it "right" because there is no "right". A game not allowing the player character to move when shooting has nothing to do with the control system used. Like alanschu mentioned, it's a deliberate game mechanic. You might not like it, which is totally fine, but please don't try to attack it for something it's not, and don't confuse your preference for one way of doing things as proof another is bad or outdated design.

Also it was used a "mechanic" to increase the "horror" factor.

This is true. It's fairly typical for horror games to feature a player character far weaker or more vulnerable than shooters that allow the player to absorb a huge amount of damage. This is also true military shooters and sims where one shot kills are more common. Wanting these types of games to use the same mechanics as other types of games is missing the point.

But really, crippling the player by deliberatly fudging the controls in order to make him more 'vulnerable' or whatever is just plain flunking game design 101. No matter how you might argue, there are always better options that dont run the risk of frustrating players.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But really, crippling the player by deliberatly fudging the controls in order to make him more 'vulnerable' or whatever is just plain flunking game design 101. No matter how you might argue, there are always better options that dont run the risk of frustrating players.
I concur.

It also means they have to make the AI incredibly stupid. Like rushing at you but stopping for 5 seconds before hitting you so you can get a headshot.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

More effective in increasing the vulnerability quotient would be to not give the player a gun in the first place. >_<
Which brings us to: THE KNIFE. Handmade Worthlessteel, for the occasional zombieapocalypse.

It's a holdover from earlier console action/adventure games where you had two different systems/control schemes for walking around and aiming the gun.

This is nonsense. It's got nothing to to do with which games do it "right" because there is no "right". A game not allowing the player character to move when shooting has nothing to do with the control system used. Like alanschu mentioned, it's a deliberate game mechanic. You might not like it, which is totally fine, but please don't try to attack it for something it's not, and don't confuse your preference for one way of doing things as proof another is bad or outdated design.

Also it was used a "mechanic" to increase the "horror" factor.

This is true. It's fairly typical for horror games to feature a player character far weaker or more vulnerable than shooters that allow the player to absorb a huge amount of damage. This is also true military shooters and sims where one shot kills are more common. Wanting these types of games to use the same mechanics as other types of games is missing the point.

Sorry, I didn't intend to state my opinion as the absolute truth.

That said, I feel that it is an anachronism that has no place in today's games. The only reason why it's there is to either stay true to the earlier games or to artificially increase the difficulty(it's like the developers gave up on making the atmosphere/enemies scarier and just screwed with the mechanics). Neither of which is a justifiable reason for having such an outdated game mechanic(how many other games do that? Even Dead Space let you walk around and shoot), in my opinion.

There's a difference between making the player weaker(less health) and gimping the controls so that you can't make your character do what you want. Not to mention all the other stupid stuff they had to do to make it work(making the enemies stop in front of you before attacking).

Oh, and not being able to move while using the knife? What the hell?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

And the pppaaaiiinnnfffuuulllllllyyy ssssllllooowww tuuuuurniiiiiing. And that casual jogging speed when surrounded by virus spreading zombies.

Is this confirmation that Obsidian is making a horror RPG?

Aliens ring a bell? >_<

Edited by Oner

Though I agree with Hell Kitty that it is a dev choice, I do agree with Kaftan as well.

Crippling the controls intentionally is as bit wonky.

It would be like saying you can't turn your head and move your hands at the same time. OK, sure, it's a gameplay mechanic that will make the game harder, but it is also fairly arbitrary and dumb.

I can't support it.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

They can probably use parts of the unfinished Aliens RPG in another project.