Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc

If Obsidian's Fallout is going to have more than 80 characters in the dialogue like Fallout 1 + 2, it would require a new dialogue interface similar to Neverwinter Night's 2.

At the present Oblivion's and Fallout 3 dialogue system was simply meant to maintain a sparse screen as possible. Probably for 'cinematic' experience.

Walsy is a Brit. To him, "pants" doesn't mean what you think it does.

I know. I know. Pants = underwear.

This is true, but Obsidian developers have been doing research for a couple of months, whatever that means... probably going to Las Vegas to get drunk and gamble all their wages away.

In these times of economic uncertainty, I encourage everyone to do their part by doing the same.

Who would quit Fallout 3 to reload on a whim?

Originally, I dumped a large number of points into speech during character creation/level up only to see it fail, fail, fail. After awhile, I began saving whenever I started a conversation with someone and reloading until I got a success.

Didn't Diablo do it? It surely did not hinder its success.

(and with Diablo it wasn't optional)

Yeah, the last Diablo game was 2000. Back when I was a student and had hours to devote to playing a game. The average gamer is older now, and fewer of them have patience for that sort of thing. I

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm sure I'll buy alpha-protocol if it ships for the PC, but the apparent loss of the Aliens game means that FO:Vegas is the only RPG title that Obsidian will ship in the near future. :(

What happened to the Aliens RPG?

I think I'll just wait here for those of you are tolerant enough to visit Bethie's forums to bring back whatever interesting news there is.

No devs have commented so far.

Me three. The . . . difference of mindset and extreme difference of expressing passionate opinions in Bethesda forums is something I rather not read up on, for the sake of my fragile celebrality.

Right. Over there, they think Obsidian doing a Fallout is neat. Over here we think Obsidian doing a Fallout is awesome. Like oil and water, man! Oil. And. Water.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

If Obsidian's Fallout is going to have more than 80 characters in the dialogue like Fallout 1 + 2, it would require a new dialogue interface similar to Neverwinter Night's 2.

At the present Oblivion's and Fallout 3 dialogue system was simply meant to maintain a sparse screen as possible. Probably for 'cinematic' experience.

The Interface would be an easy change. They can use the entire screen for whatever they want, and change it to suit.

*Wait.... I've got something somewhere...brb

* Give it a minute...

** Quite a few actually... (Youtube is slow)

***Sorry about the over-hype (it won't live up to it :()

Edited by Gizmo

*Wait.... I've got something somewhere...brb

* Give it a minute...

This video is unavailable.

*Not processed* ~ its there, its just a lot longer than I'd expected for such a short clip.

Really it was just supposed to be a quick [albeit extreme] example of menu alterations

(I uploaded it just before... Its from a mod I'm creating.)

** Its up.

Edited by Gizmo

I really never understood the idea that Morgan ripped off Aphex Twin. Pulsing drone over a ghostly oscillating synth? Yes I've heard that many places. Aphex's music on that whole album is all so thinly layered and repetitive, it really doesn't compare to Morgan's stuff. "Radiation Storm" (the song from the Glow) is very Aphex like, but it's, well, better.

If anything he sounds more like some Front 242 tracks I've heard--more samples, shifts, and rhythm.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

I really never understood the idea that Morgan ripped off Aphex Twin. Pulsing drone over a ghostly oscillating synth? Yes I've heard that many places. Aphex's music on that whole album is all so thinly layered and repetitive, it really doesn't compare to Morgan's stuff. "Radiation Storm" (the song from the Glow) is very Aphex like, but it's, well, better.

If anything he sounds more like some Front 242 tracks I've heard--more samples, shifts, and rhythm.

The simplicity of the SAWII songs only indicts Morgan further. It's not that ****in' hard to come up with a distinctive ambient piece. Morgan did it. ****, I've done it. That doesn't really excuse the blatant recreation. And it is blatant. On at least 2 songs. Which is unacceptable. But he probably won't do it again, so why not ask him back?

Edited by Pop

That it is. Vegas needs some good retro 40's & 50's music.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

*edit -

That it is. Vegas needs some good retro 40's & 50's music.

Sawyer tweerted about looking up Rat Pack stuff. Expect that.

So yeah, I'm trying to get real excited about this, and I am pretty excited, don't get me wrong, this is something I'd never thought I'd see again. But. The late '10 release date is really very troubling. I hope Bethsoft will be willing to push it back into '11. As it stands I'm wary of it being an Assault on Dark Athena to Fallout 3's Escape From Butcher Bay, if that makes any sense. A short excursion, in other words. In a year and a half I'm not sure how much content Obsidz can hammer out. That's an xpac development window, even with up-to-date and implementable tech.

What captured my imagination w/r/t Van Buren was the diversity of locations - The Boulder Dome, the Reservation, Denver, and The Nursery in particular. They were highly distinct and had incredible depth in each in their (potential) look, history and quest design. I'd never been as eager to play a game as I was when I read the Boulder Dome design doc, and it spurred me to attempt a pen and paper game (I just started it again, actually).

My fear with this game is that Obsidz won't be able to make that sort of game. Three things in my mind would contribute to that - One is time, which I referred to earlier. How many in-depth locations can you really make in a year, which should be about as much time as they've got?

Second is the format of Fallout 3. If New Vegas is tied down to the Bethesda open-world format they are at a serious disadvantage with regard to making interesting locations, mainly because a great amount of effort has to go into making "ligament areas" interesting for the player, and also because it makes the game space necessary limited. The kind of scope that the Fallout games achieved is impossible without the map travel they used. Making every square foot of the map explorable shrinks the gameworld considerably. Which leads me to three.

The third, unfortunately, is the setting. Las Vegas. I loved New Reno, I really did, but I don't want that experience again, that weird loopy post-apocalyptic Godfather game. The fact that the city's in the name leads me to believe it will take place either entirely in Vegas or the bulk of it will. I want variety. Necropolis was only one of many places in Fallout 1. New Reno was one of many places in Fallout 2. DC was almost the entirety of Fallout 3. I don't like it.

Edited by Pop

I don't expect a lot of difference in the way they're portrayed, is the thing. They don't call it "Sin City" for nothing. The city as a giant tacky tourist town does not seem terribly interesting.

Also, one of the things I really liked about Van Buren was the particulars of its 50's sci-fi bent, introducing more Twilight Zone-esque weird science into Fallout than there already was (the CODE Project, for example, or the Gehennas) I'm hoping some of that can be revisited.

Edited by Pop

I'm thrilled it's in Las Vegas. That should include not only the city, of course, but the surrounding desert areas, like Red Rock and Mt. Charleston. Lake Mead is close enough to fit in a larger landscape in the same way that the larger DC area included locales outside of the city itself. Las Vegas can be a cheesy tourist town if that's all Obsidz wants to do with it, but there are tons of places outside the city limits that would be quite interesting and the city itself has plenty of opportunity for post apocalyptic nuances. A little Kitsch isn't so bad as long as it's used sparingly to flavor.

Maria: I believe the Aliens project is on indefinite hold.

I don't expect a lot of difference in the way they're portrayed, is the thing. They don't call it "Sin City" for nothing. The city as a giant tacky tourist town does not seem terribly interesting.

Also, one of the things I really liked about Van Buren was the particulars of its 50's sci-fi bent, introducing more Twilight Zone-esque weird science into Fallout than there already was (the CODE Project, for example, or the Gehennas) I'm hoping some of that can be revisited.

This is the thing for me, I loved that bend. It was brilliant, and the design doc very evocative and unique.

Welcome new(old) guys, don't mind the cranky veterans here.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The Valley of Fire would be neat as well.

Maria: I believe the Aliens project is on indefinite hold.

:o

... This 'giant, tack tourist town' probably has a larger variety of places than any other on earth. It's sure as hell more interesting than DC.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"While Hines was careful not to reveal any details on the game, he did say that it will be "the same sort of experience", and..."

So... game is still shooter?

I am impressed! Congratulations Obsidian and Bethesda - this seems to be an all-around good decision. :o

I am wondering, though, how is this going to work - is Bethesda the publisher and property licensor and Obsidian the developer, or are they co-developers and if so how will they divide the work (also won't it be inefficient to have two developers)?

Also, how long has this been worked on already? Because if not long, is there really enough time to complete this and maintain quality/polish?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered - I didn't read the whole thread.