Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc

Bethesda being the producer means that they would be ones making final call what Obsidian could hire when it comes to parties outside of Obsidian's development team. Its their money Obsidian is spending on afterall, so I very much doubt Obsidian's got a free hand in those fields.

Should I ask this on the other forum perhaps..?

:(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

A shame, the only musical score that Inon Zur ever did a good job on is Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal in my opinion. His Fallout 3 score was bland and forgettable.

i thought Tactics' soundtrack was pretty good, tho.

Tactics did have a few good tracks I agree, but most of it was pretty 'meh. I enjoyed most of his Throne of Bhaal music, and I actually think he did a better job than the guy who composed for Baldur's Gate and Shadows of Amn (can't remember his name). Unfortunately his work since hasn't been all that great.

Bethesda being the producer means that they would be ones making final call what Obsidian could hire when it comes to parties outside of Obsidian's development team. Its their money Obsidian is spending on afterall, so I very much doubt Obsidian's got a free hand in those fields.

You never know. Maybe it was a "Here's a heap of money. Make a game" type of deal. No hands-on at all. Or maybe Bethesda rules with an iron fist from above. Who knows. It wouldn't hurt if one&several of the developers wrote something about this.. anything.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This thread moves too quickly and has too many different discussions in it.

This is what happens when we're confined to ONE thread instead of a dedicated forum. :(

Not only that, this thread will be locked soon. Closing in on 500.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

A lot of games are like that (its easier to make that way I'd imagine).

This should read: A lot console games are like that. Plus, their lazy ports to PC.

(there are exemptions, like PC-only Farcry, and some older games)

It was necessity in old days of limited storage for consoles. Not it's just "tradition".

I hate the trend of lazy porting. I can't even play FEAR2 with my brother on same comp (SP), since there are neither saves nor profiles. On top of that, there is fixed 16:9 "console" aspect ratio too. 30% of screen space wasted with 4:3 monitor.

Edited by player1

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

I think I'll just wait here for those of you are tolerant enough to visit Bethie's forums to bring back whatever interesting news there is.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You never know. Maybe it was a "Here's a heap of money. Make a game" type of deal. No hands-on at all. Or maybe Bethesda rules with an iron fist from above. Who knows. It wouldn't hurt if one&several of the developers wrote something about this.. anything.

I do hope they at least make enough changes to make it their own. :(

Personally given the choice, I'd like it better if it were a bit more like Kotor2 than Fallout 3 as shipped, and I don't see the engine as being any restriction in that ~though it would require many changes to the base assets.

(building tops and expanded heights for some of the interiors).

Edited by Gizmo

I think I'll just wait here for those of you are tolerant enough to visit Bethie's forums to bring back whatever interesting news there is.

They haven't even made a forum. It's just a single topic in the General Fallout section. :(

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

Computer RPGs are not PnP games. They don't have anywhere near the dynamic of the PnP GM, and CRPGs do in fact have saving and loading of campaigns.

what the whut? i think your water's gone rad, lad. i didn't say they were PnP games. i said they're based off of, and a natural progression from. which...uh...they are, Vern. and yes, cRPG's do have saving and loading campaigns sure. i guess there's the unspoken and unwritten rule of making choices and living with the consequences. i only re-load if i've hit a button or done something by accident....never because i didn't like the outcome of something i did deliberately...otherwise, i don't see the fun in making choices at all. it's kinda cheating, idn't it?

Well you're lamenting how CRPGs are straying from PnP games. Maybe the natural evolution of CRPGs takes them further and further away from the PnP experience. Can't stop nature man.

Ugh, reading through this thread makes me facepalm more than I'd like.

As of fan of Fallout, the thing I liked about Fallout was that it was new and different. To be honest, given the rabid fanboyism associated with the topic, I'm already wishing that Obsidian was working on something novel. Because something novel doesn't mean worse than Fallout, just as a new Fallout doesn't mean as good as Fallout.

And, uh, "welcome" to the new posters I guess.

Laters.

Edited by alanschu

Well you're lamenting how CRPGs are straying from PnP games. Maybe the natural evolution of CRPGs takes them further and further away from the PnP experience. Can't stop nature man.

true. though that's a bit depressing. i mean...from Fallout 1's dialog and story driven game to Fallout 3's mindless wandering...i just...no. no, i will not accept this.

*weeping*

They haven't even made a forum. It's just a single topic in the General Fallout section. :(

Me three. The . . . difference of mindset and extreme difference of expressing passionate opinions in Bethesda forums is something I rather not read up on, for the sake of my fragile celebrality.

Computer RPGs are not PnP games. They don't have anywhere near the dynamic of the PnP GM, and CRPGs do in fact have saving and loading of campaigns.

what the whut? i think your water's gone rad, lad. i didn't say they were PnP games. i said they're based off of, and a natural progression from. which...uh...they are, Vern. and yes, cRPG's do have saving and loading campaigns sure. i guess there's the unspoken and unwritten rule of making choices and living with the consequences. i only re-load if i've hit a button or done something by accident....never because i didn't like the outcome of something i did deliberately...otherwise, i don't see the fun in making choices at all. it's kinda cheating, idn't it?

Except that games don't have to adhere nature. But I'm not so picky on that issue. I can enjoy an Akshun RPG like Mass Effect as much as a turn-based hardcore RPG, as long as it is made well.

Except that games don't have to adhere nature. But I'm not so picky on that issue. I can enjoy an Akshun RPG like Mass Effect as much as a turn-based hardcore RPG, as long as it is made well.

Preaching to the choir Morgoth.

hey man, don't get me wrong. me too. i just expect a certain level of quality from the dialog, writing, atmosphere and choice/consequence department when it comes to Fallout in particular.

Mass Effect isn't a good example of an action RPG because you spend most of your time watching Shepard talk to random NPCs after picking something on the dialogue wheel. I think only like 25% of the game was combat.

A little off topic, but I can't believe I've had this account for all these years and never actually posted until yesterday. I'm the ultimate lurker.

Edited by Talonfire

Mass Effect isn't a good example of an action RPG because you spend most of your time watching Shepard talk to random NPCs after picking something on the dialogue wheel. I think only like 25% of the game was combat.

A little off topic, but I can't believe I've had this account for all these years and never actually posted until yesterday. I'm the ultimate lurker.

Well you're shooting Geth in the face so that's Action RPG to me. But hey, whatever.

Just wanted to say that abstract game concepts can still be fun to play. Recently played Lost Odyssey (JRPG, turn based), and apart from the horrible boss fights I'm really enjoying that kind of games. So if they give me turn based combat and lots of numbers and items, I'll be a happy chap. But I also recognize that mostly western RPG developrs strive for the more "natural" Action approach. I.e. Realtime, "realims", no number crunching etc. That's okay as long as the story, C&C and characters are superb. I know that Obsidian will deliver on that front for sure.

Edited by Morgoth