Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc

It's a realistic sort of response, though. It's better than getting in a fight and everyone magically knowing you weren't at fault, or all NPCs cowing to your aggression and scorn.

IIRC that section in question was a gang headquarters. The city goes hostile because those aren't normal citizens, those are gang members that are attempting to eliminate a nuisance to the gang.

Nice try, but wrong. This was in the Enclave city, and the NPC was a relative of one of the party members. A realistic response would have been a refusal to trade, and perhaps some fisticuffs.

I'm with mkreku on this one. No Bethesda's animations and models aren't that great, but overall their engine is pretty freaking well made. Fallout 3 is the most stable Bethesda game to date, and it has barely noticeable load times in exteriors, and very brief load times for interiors and game loads on the highest visual settings. I can't think of any other large scale game world engines that have that kind of performance.

Edited by Talonfire

There wasn't an Enclave city? You're thinking of Vault City. That outcome was completely consistent. You were an outsider, who has no rights, in a fight with a citizen. Of course they're going to be on you like white on rice.

You're missing the point. The situation swings out of control, you roll your eyes and reload. It's poor gameplay.

You're missing the point. The situation swings out of control, you roll your eyes and reload. It's poor gameplay.

um, no. you're the one missing the point. YOU roll YOUR eyes and YOU reload, because you don't like the outcome of a stupid decision.

those of us who haven't been spoiled by RPG's that have strayed too far from PnP games (would you get that chance to make a stupid decision and "re-roll" in a PnP? no. you'd be out, better luck next time, etc) would have accepted our fate and dealt with it. cRPG's started out as a natural extension of PnP's. the type of fodder you DON'T roll your eyes at (sure, i'm assuming here) is about as close to a real RPG as blood is to water. sure...it shares similarities, but c'mon. give us a break, kiddo.

The situation swings out of control, you roll your eyes and reload.

Lulz. Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of having consequences for your actions? No wonder Fallout 3 was practically devoid of those. :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

For the record I think that Fallout is a great game objectively, and I don't think that it's institutionally promoted. It never sold enough to be in the Pantheon. Oblivion or Fallout 3, on the other hand...
By what scale? The game industry of present and past, can't be compared like that; I remember SSI announcing with pride that Curse of the Azure Bonds sold 100,000 units (@$49.99). Success is measured differently now.

By today's standards, the gameplay is poorly balanced and far too reliant on trial-and-error. I particularly remember one NPC where, if you were overly short with her, would attack you. Once you damaged her, the ENTIRE CITY would turn instantly hostile. This inevitably meant a reload. People would throw a fit if a modern game tried this, and with good reason. It's neither challenging nor fun, and exists solely to frustrate the player.
You honestly believe this?

Longtime fans don't step in the noob traps; they know where they are. And the noob traps didn't bother them when they were noobs, because noob traps were de rigeur in pre-millennial gaming. But a modern gamer picking up an old game like Fallout is going to find them particularly obnoxious precisely because modern games don't pull that crap.
Noob traps like insulting the 1st Citizen of Vault City in her office? Traps like threatening Set in his compound? Those weren't Noob traps, and the result is but common sense. Modern games have just lessened their player expectations. Edited by Gizmo

I bought the Fallout two-pack in the post-Baldur's gate era for about ten dollars. Suffice it to say that although I don't regret the purchase, neither do I have any emotional attachment to them. I have never bothered to complete either game.

By today's standards, the gameplay is poorly balanced and far too reliant on trial-and-error. I particularly remember one NPC where, if you were overly short with her, would attack you. Once you damaged her, the ENTIRE CITY would turn instantly hostile. This inevitably meant a reload. People would throw a fit if a modern game tried this, and with good reason. It's neither challenging nor fun, and exists solely to frustrate the player.

Longtime fans don't step in the noob traps; they know where they are. And the noob traps didn't bother them when they were noobs, because noob traps were de rigeur in pre-millennial gaming. But a modern gamer picking up an old game like Fallout is going to find them particularly obnoxious precisely because modern games don't pull that crap.

Sadly that's a comment on how today's standards are completely out of whack, where the player must coddled and led by the hand. I remember my first playthrough and I guessed from Lynette's tone that I was pissing her off...and given that she's in a government type building, I figured pissing her off would get me shot or thrown out or whatever. And they weren't abrupt with it either if I recall, as Gizmo said, the player could just use some common sense. In your case..you attacked a city official, of course the guards are going to be pissed off at you They're not noob traps, unless you believe "punishing" someone for in-world stupid behaviour is harsh :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They're not noob traps, unless you believe "punishing" someone for in-world stupid behaviour is harsh :lol:

One of the very first computer games I played was an old Star Trek C64 title. My friend loaded it up and let me control the ship. I did not read the manual, and the first button I pushed was my last.

(totally random, the button I pushed was the ships self destruct ~it exploded and he said "what did you just do?"). I did not think the game was stupid, I knew that I just didn't know how to play.

Edited by Gizmo

This is one major kickarse news! I hope it will be done in the true sense of Fallout, and if not be like Fallout 3, in terms of game mechanics and setting.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I can recall buying Oblivion to see what Bethesda could do with a native IP (I'd not really heard much of them before that). Myself, I was impressed, and envisioned a "DoW/NWN looking" Fallout 3, with the kind of detail I saw in Oblivion. Something like these (though I'm not suggesting it be like these ~I mean they were quick examples)

~And these were just fun :lol:

Edited by Gizmo

There is a lot to like in their games, from my perspective. And in some ways invite more role-playing then story driven RPGs which force you to align yourself with one of the pre-generated character responses. That ability to choose your own way, explore at leisure and live in the world is a RPG staple of cRPGs since Ultima – and a big part of Ultima 7, arguably the best loved of the series.
I certainly won't disagree, but they do have some really silly bits left in it instead of fixed. I was genuinely shocked at my F3 character bending down and immersing their hand in the toilet bowl and lifting up water to drink (while still inside the vault!) Edited by Gizmo

um, no. you're the one missing the point. YOU roll YOUR eyes and YOU reload, because you don't like the outcome of a stupid decision.

those of us who haven't been spoiled by RPG's that have strayed too far from PnP games (would you get that chance to make a stupid decision and "re-roll" in a PnP? no. you'd be out, better luck next time, etc) would have accepted our fate and dealt with it. cRPG's started out as a natural extension of PnP's. the type of fodder you DON'T roll your eyes at (sure, i'm assuming here) is about as close to a real RPG as blood is to water. sure...it shares similarities, but c'mon. give us a break, kiddo.

Computer RPGs are not PnP games. They don't have anywhere near the dynamic of the PnP GM, and CRPGs do in fact have saving and loading of campaigns.

I have been wondering what non-Alpha Protocol teams have been doing. A part of the question is answered, I guess. Also, I noticed J.E.Sawyer had been spending his time on rather obsessively playing Fallout 3 on Xbox but, honestly, this didn't come to my mind.

I have been wondering what non-Alpha Protocol teams have been doing. A part of the question is answered, I guess. Also, I noticed J.E.Sawyer had been spending his time on rather obsessively playing Fallout 3 on Xbox but, honestly, this didn't come to my mind.

I at first wondered WHY he was playing Fallout 3 as well.

And well, now we know.

ME TREES!

Edited by Jaesun

All the devs hanging around without posting are unnerving. :lol:

indeed.

i'm curious, how does the new fallout connect with JE's hint: me trees?

has it actually been confirmed that THIS is THE contract that was being discussed in the other thread?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I hope they include the proper ending this time. You know, where the narrator sums up each place you visited and what happened because of your actions. That was one of the best features. Leaving that out in Fallout 3 was a sin.

Their tech isn't bad at all.

Please, they have either chosen not to or are unable to support the kind of fidelity required to even contend. The environments are fairly good but everything else sucks. I am concerned that Obsidian will be forced into producing the same kind of low quality character artwork that Bethseda produce for their games due to engine "limitations".

Could you please explain what is bad about it, breaking it down for me?

I don't see it as a bad engine at all, in fact I think it is very fantastic. Could you please tell me about a better engine that actually does what Bethesda couldn't do and show examples.

Reason I ask is that I think you are just bashing Bethesda anyway possible without given real examples.

When I played Fallout 3, I played a game with fantastic technology. Long view distances, huge seamless world (no stutters!), good frame rates, relatively believable physics, relatively high in polygon count, seamless day-and-night cycle etc.

Feel free to explain why it's suddenly worse than AIDS.

Because Obsidian is now making a Fallout.

Before Fallout 3, people talked crap about Bethesda. Fallout 3 hit and people found out that it was a great game. Now Obsidian will make a Fallout, so we're going to pretend that Bethesda produced crap and Obsidian will deliver us from the horror of Fallout 3.

Bunch of malcontents.

Anyways, I am more interested in seeing what Obsidian can do with its own IP (Alpha Protocol) or when they

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.