Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc

So how the hell was "Me Trees" = Fallout: New Vegas????

:boggle:

I wonder if Zeit's is working on this as well *:hope:

It's what MCA said to Josh when he found out they were doing FNV. As in "Arrrgh, me trees! Where are me trees? Desert everywhere!".

I wonder how much autonomy Josh and the team have to do things their way.

I remember back when Josh was helming IWD2 and everything had to be cleared through WoTC. IIRC, that caused a few problems.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

:)

*dies*

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

re: nostalgia or the ol' rose colored glasses strawman

i play FO1 & 2 both about once a year and have done so since they were released. and never have i thought "man, these games are so dated" but rather "damn, they just don't make 'em like they used to!" and that's because for an RPG, i value dialogue and story above all else. i don't care if Obsidian have to use the hokey, herky-jerky animations of Bethie and their ridiculous rag-doll engine. I don't care about any of that.

FFS, man...i just want to laugh like i did that first summer i played these games. that was a decade ago. i've not quite smiled like that for a game in a decade.

"I wonder how much autonomy Josh and the team have to do things their way."

Probably as much as they had with their other publishers. Remember guys, this is a Bethesda project developed by Obsidian. Bethesda rules the nest here.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I have give kudos to Bethesda though as they definitely are evil geniuses. I had just tried to play FO3 - an absolutely horrible game - and figured I'd be 100% done with FO world after that. L0L Damn them!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

But developer and publisher said nothing about the game engine.

And when they do I'll believe it, I'll also be around to say "BAD MOVE GUYS!" Beth's tech is terrible.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

re: nostalgia or the ol' rose colored glasses strawman

i play FO1 & 2 both about once a year and have done so since they were released. and never have i thought "man, these games are so dated" but rather "damn, they just don't make 'em like they used to!" and that's because for an RPG, i value dialogue and story above all else. i don't care if Obsidian have to use the hokey, herky-jerky animations of Bethie and their ridiculous rag-doll engine. I don't care about any of that.

FFS, man...i just want to laugh like i did that first summer i played these games. that was a decade ago. i've not quite smiled like that for a game in a decade.

That's nice, but none of this has anything to do with rose colored glasses or nostalgia. Unfortunately no one who played and loved the games so long ago can claim to be exempt from those biases, myself included.

But developer and publisher said nothing about the game engine.

And when they do I'll believe it, I'll also be around to say "BAD MOVE GUYS!" Beth's tech is terrible.

Wouldn't it make the most sense financially to use the same engine that already has all the assets created for it? IS it hard to move pre-existing assets between engines? Does it make any sense to do so?

I am assuming of course that Obsidian's Fallout will reuse much of the assets from Bethie's fallout.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That's nice, but none of this has anything to do with rose colored glasses or nostalgia. Unfortunately no one who played and loved the games so long ago can claim to be exempt from those biases, myself included.

wait. none of what, exactly.

You said your post was regarding the nostalgia and rose colored glasses commentary.

As Chris Avellone said in his interview, another aspect that elevated it to amazing was the fact that it came during such a drought of RPGs.

You said your post was regarding the nostalgia and rose colored glasses commentary.

and it was. my point is that the games are not held up in many fans' memories as great merely because of nostalgia. sure, a love for bits of the past is natural but people don't play them at the present moment and say "oh, well...i certainly remembered it being better than this." at least not the majority of fans i'm aware of. it has nothing to do with when they came out, or what else was out when they came out. they are still superior in many different ways to games which have come before and after. this negates any sort of view through nostalgia lenses. it has nothing to do with sentimentality or memory. those games were great where it counted and because of that, are still great in that regard. i have no misgivings about the fact that there was much to be improved on regarding the originals, but there has been too slim of an amount of games whose dialog, atmosphere, story, and character-building live up to them.