Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc

Have I understood correctly from reading published posts that Bethesda were working on this as a DLC or expansion and then decided against finishing it, they then approached Obsidian to see what they could do with it?

As such it's Bethesda vision but Obsidian's execution.

Is this correct?

I don't think so. I can't directly contradict you, but that's not the impression I got from reading any of the news articles.

"Shack: So you asked them for a pitch, as opposed to pitching them a project.

Pete Hines: Correct, correct. And honestly, generally speaking, that's how it works best, which is: you've gotta have people who are really vested in the idea that it's their creation. "This is what makes us excited. If we could do this, this is what we would want to do."

huh.

usually reading Hines' words gives me diarrhea, but this...this...i'm impressed with.

I hope Obsidian gets the official forum. That would be nice. Rather than a redirect.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Depends what engine they use, I hope they go with Onyx.

i believe it's been confirmed they're using the same engine as FO3.

I won't believe it until I here someone official say so... got a link?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Looks like you finally got your Fallout game.

So uh, how are you feeling?

A quarter as good as I'll feel when it actually ships.

You twittered about Obsidian picking up Fallout the same day the articles about Aliens being canned started coming out.

Now clearly you weren't happy with ditching Aliens, but that's really weird timing. Did the guys at Bethesda hear about the death of Aliens and think it was a perfect time to pitch Fallout to you, or did Bethesda pitching Fallout to you cause the death of Aliens? Somehow I can't imagine it was the latter.

Looks like you finally got your Fallout game.

So uh, how are you feeling?

A quarter as good as I'll feel when it actually ships.

"actually ships"

Now now, do I sense there a slight undertone of pessimism?

What do you think about the estimated release schedule for 2010? Do you think (from where you're now) that's a fair amount of time to get a polished product shipped? (I don't expect a straight answer)

I hope Obsidian gets the official forum. That would be nice. Rather than a redirect.

heh. seconded. especially since i've had countless accounts banned from the Bethie site.

I wonder whatever for :) Anyway, this has been the best news I've heard in a while, good thing to start a week off on. Curious how much freedom Obsidian has to work with on this project.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

But developer and publisher said nothing about the game engine.

That's not true. Bethesda said "make an educated guess" to journalists who probably know little about Obsidian.

That leads me to believe it'll use the existing engine of Fallout 3.

My first humble request to Obsidian is to throw VATS down the garbage chute. Where it belongs.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

My first humble request to Obsidian is to throw VATS down the garbage chute. Where it belongs.

As bad as VATS is, the real-time FPS combat is hardly better...

Best to drop them both then.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

As bad as VATS is, the real-time FPS combat is hardly better...

I agree, but by getting rid of VATS, the FPS combat could be rebalanced into something more straight forward, like STALKER:SOC fps combat.

Even that would be a huge improvement over the crappy combat of FO3. Or if they want to stick with skill-basec combat numbers, maybe gofor more of Deus Ex style.

Anything, but VATS.