Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc

It's not ultra-new, with 50% extra novelty, batteries not included?

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Of all people, Bethesda.

I don't know. I wish I could feel happy for Obsidian for getting their hands back on the Fallout franchise, but I can only see Bethesda people as ones who destroyed one of my favourite game, Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Furthermore Bethesda is never known to be awesome publishers. Remember the last Star Trek games?

And why Fallout 3 engine? urgh.

Anyway, I will be just standing riiiiight here at the corner, and wait and see. Sorry guyz, but I'm just not feeling the excitement at all.

Bethesda destroyed Cthulhu? That's nonsense.

And Beth is not your standard publisher, but also a developer, so that's a good thing. They care about Fallout, Obsidian cares about Fallout, therefor we, the customers, win.

I'm also interested in the "Beth destroyed Call of Cthulhu" thing. They made it and it was buggy, but if they hadn't made it, it wouldn't have been made at all...

Is there any official word on how this "partnership" works? If Obsidian gets to do what they want then I see good things in the future...

Bethesda didn't make Cthulhu, that was some other studio that found itself unable to pull the **** together.

They didn't develop the game. Headstrong Productions did and had made a far more in-depth gameplay until Bethesda demanded it to be simplified for the XBOX. I had whined about it years ago regarding of this, its not exactly new news.

Whatever. This doesn't really affect New Vegas.

Beth and Obz are pros, they don't need to bite each other. And if necessary, Ferg can always wield his mighty hammer of persuasion to get Todd and Hines back into lines.

Don't underestimate the mighty power of Ferg!

Doesn't affect New Vegas? We're not even certain how much influence does Obsidian has with the game. Its a collaboration with Bethesda and published by Bethesda. Feargus wielding his dread hammer against the GM of the game will have much use?

First step for Obsidian to be assimilated by Bethesda.

Years later, we'll be hearing about Obsidian changing its name to Bethesda California.

whine.gif

Edited by Zoma

Of all people, Bethesda.

I don't know. I wish I could feel happy for Obsidian for getting their hands back on the Fallout franchise, but I can only see Bethesda people as ones who destroyed one of my favourite game, Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Furthermore Bethesda is never known to be awesome publishers. Remember the last Star Trek games?

Anyway, I will be just standing riiiiight here at the corner, and wait and see. Sorry guyz, but I'm just not feeling the excitement at all.

Bethesda destroyed Cthulhu? That's nonsense.

And Beth is not your standard publisher, but also a developer, so that's a good thing. They care about Fallout, Obsidian cares about Fallout, therefor we, the customers, win.

I'm also interested in the "Beth destroyed Call of Cthulhu" thing. They made it and it was buggy, but if they hadn't made it, it wouldn't have been made at all...

Is there any official word on how this "partnership" works? If Obsidian gets to do what they want then I see good things in the future...

Bethesda didn't make Cthulhu, that was some other studio that found itself unable to pull the **** together.

They didn't develop the game. Headstrong Productions did and had made a far more in-depth gameplay until Bethesda demanded it to be simplified for the XBOX. I had whined about it years ago regarding of this, its not exactly new news.

Whatever. This doesn't really affect New Vegas.

Beth and Obz are pros, they don't need to bite each other. And if necessary, Ferg can always wield his mighty hammer of persuasion to get Todd and Hines back into lines.

Don't underestimate the mighty power of Ferg!

Quote tunnel zoooooom

Kind of sucks if it'll use the old FO3 engine...
...shame about the engine though...
I believe it's going to use Fallout 3's engine. Well I hope Obsidian gives it a much needed tune up.

OK, I think we've already found the new in-thing to complain about among the Obsidianite regulars.

When I played Fallout 3, I played a game with fantastic technology. Long view distances, huge seamless world (no stutters!), good frame rates, relatively believable physics, relatively high in polygon count, seamless day-and-night cycle etc.

Feel free to explain why it's suddenly worse than AIDS.

It's still the same old Oblivion engine with it's bad animations and ugly faces. They probably don't have the time to redo the dialog system either...

Sure, it's visually impressive, but that doesn't make up for the other stuff.

For me, the main problem with Fallout 3's engine is that it probably comes with VATS attached. Also, combat in Fallout 3 was mostly unimpressive and bloody awful on the melee side of things. And then of course, there's the atrocious animations and faces.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Kind of sucks if it'll use the old FO3 engine...
...shame about the engine though...
I believe it's going to use Fallout 3's engine. Well I hope Obsidian gives it a much needed tune up.

OK, I think we've already found the new in-thing to complain about among the Obsidianite regulars.

When I played Fallout 3, I played a game with fantastic technology. Long view distances, huge seamless world (no stutters!), good frame rates, relatively believable physics, relatively high in polygon count, seamless day-and-night cycle etc.

Feel free to explain why it's suddenly worse than AIDS.

It's still the same old Oblivion engine with it's bad animations and ugly faces. They probably don't have the time to redo the dialog system either...

Plus we know the contract was made just weeks ago. We don't know how much time is Obsidian given to develop the game and to be honest, Fallout 3 engine is already somewhat backwards in some of the implementation of assets like animations. So if its released 2 years later, the game could already seem terribly outdated.

Plus I'm not certain if the Oblivion engine is ever capable of making complex quests in comparison to the old Fallout. I can't remark for Fallout 3 because I have yet to play but Oblivion's quest are terrible.

Will this game have crates?

I'm sure it will, good sir. Fallout and crates are a natural fit. :lol:

I expect a warehouse - no, a church - full of crates.

And inside each crate will be a shipment of crowbars. Surplus intended for Vault 13.

Since when are animations and face graphics engine features? How do you think this works? They mo-cap Baryshnikov and it somehow ends up ugly because it's the Genome engine? Or Michelangelo paints a face and once inserted into this engine it's turned into Disney?

Obsidian's animators can do better than Bethesda's equivalents. Obsidian's artists can probably do better faces than Bethesda's equivalents.

And what's suddenly wrong with dialogue trees and talking heads? You do realize that Bethesda chose the dialogue style based on feedback from the Fallout fans/old games, right..?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Am I the only one here that got hit with the core game's graphical errors (silver lines impairing view and such.)

Trying to find a screenshot, all I get from google is The Pitt fiasco.

Plus I'm not certain if the Oblivion engine is ever capable of making complex quests in comparison to the old Fallout. I can't remark for Fallout 3 because I have yet to play but Oblivion's quest are terrible.

I'm pretty sure they're using a script language to sculpt the quests (Python? Perl? XML?). I'm also sure that whatever they managed to do in Fallout 2 will be possible in Fallout: New Vegas.

I'm hoping for an even vaster world and vehicles!

Since when are animations and face graphics engine features? How do you think this works? They mo-cap Baryshnikov and it somehow ends up ugly because it's the Genome engine? Or Michelangelo paints a face and once inserted into this engine it's turned into Disney?

Obsidian's animators can do better than Bethesda's equivalents. Obsidian's artists can probably do better faces than Bethesda's equivalents.

And what's suddenly wrong with dialogue trees and talking heads? You do realize that Bethesda chose the dialogue style based on feedback from the Fallout fans/old games, right..?

Umm, if they are using the same engine with the same assets then they will most likely use the same animations as well. If they redo the animations and actually make the faces human-looking, it could be really good.

I love dialogue trees, the Fallout 3 ones could use a smaller font, more options and less percentages. Talking heads are also ok, if they don't stare at you like corpses.

Am I the only one here that got hit with the core game's graphical errors (silver lines impairing view and such.)

Trying to find a screenshot, all I get from google is The Pitt fiasco.

I didn't have any graphical glitches that I can remember.

Edited by Purkake

Yes, but what about the combat system and the AI? I haven't played FO3, but as I understand it, those two were sub-par. I'm sure those things are kind of tied to the engine.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Umm, if they are using the same engine with the same assets then they will most likely use the same animations as well. If they redo the animations and actually make the faces human-looking, it could be really good.

I love dialogue trees, the Fallout 3 ones could use a smaller font, more options and less percentages. Talking heads are also ok, if they don't stare at you like corpses.

The engine will be the same, only in the sense that it's based on the same technology Bethesda used to make Fallout 3 with. It's been a year since and it'll be another before this game is released. They will very probably have upgraded, optimized and refined it even further by then.

They will have to redo the animations and these particular assets. They can't very likely use the same NPC's in this game as in Fallout 3. All faces will be new. All NPC's (probably) will be new. I would even dare to say that most animations will be new.

The talking head death stare could easily be avoided by adding twitching animations, blinking animations, etc. Another suggestion for the missing forum!

Oh, forgot to mention: neither the amount of dialogue choices or font sizes are hard coded into the engine. This is where Obsidian's talents will shine, mark my words!

Edited by mkreku

So, that means no third expansion for NWN2... What a shame... I am not a fan of Fallout...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The engine will be the same, only in the sense that it's based on the same technology Bethesda used to make Fallout 3 with. It's been a year since and it'll be another before this game is released. They will very probably have upgraded, optimized and refined it even further by then.

They will have to redo the animations and these particular assets. They can't very likely use the same NPC's in this game as in Fallout 3. All faces will be new. All NPC's (probably) will be new. I would even dare to say that most animations will be new.

The talking head death stare could easily be avoided by adding twitching animations, blinking animations, etc. Another suggestion for the missing forum!

Okay, so there is hope!

I was just afraid that they wouldn't have the time.

EDIT: Wow, maybe this one can actually have a cool and non-sucky ending.

Edited by Purkake

Am I the only one wondering what else Obsidian is working on? Both Alpha Protocol and Fallout will have been released by the end of 2010 leaving them with no projects to work on.

There's no way that's true. They've got something else. And I don't think it's a NWN2 x-pack because that's yet another 12-18 month thing. Maybe Aliens isn't dead after all?

Am I the only one wondering what else Obsidian is working on? Both Alpha Protocol and Fallout will have been released by the end of 2010 leaving them with no projects to work on.

There's no way that's true. They've got something else. And I don't think it's a NWN2 x-pack because that's yet another 12-18 month thing. Maybe Aliens isn't dead after all?

When Aliens was cancelled, Feargus said they were working on a few projects.

More time for speculation :lol:

Edited by Syraxis

When Aliens was cancelled, Feargus said they were working on a few projects.

More time for speculation :lol:

Feargus actually said Aliens was cancelled? Well ****.