Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc

Whoa. Uh. Cool. I think?

Would prefer Onyx engine with a proper ruleset, but I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of Bethesda.

An engine change would also mean we'd have to wait 18-24 month more. No thanks, using the Fallout 3 engine has been a smart (and the obvious) decision.

You might want to rethink that post. Onyx is already built. Granted, the art assets from FO3 may cut about 6 months off development time (not to mention costs).

Whoa. Uh. Cool. I think?

Would prefer Onyx engine with a proper ruleset, but I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of Bethesda.

An engine change would also mean we'd have to wait 18-24 month more. No thanks, using the Fallout 3 engine has been a smart (and the obvious) decision.

You might want to rethink that post. Onyx is already built. Granted, the art assets from FO3 may cut about 6 months off development time (not to mention costs).

You think it's that easy? Rethink your post.

I wonder when the new forum for this will open? :D

I am eager to start writing down my suggestions and what-not's from my experience with Fallout 3!

GIVE US A FORUM!

GIVE US A FORUM!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't know how easy it was, but Onyx most certainly is already built. :)

Yes but unless they want New Vegas to go into a completely different direction I don't see how using it would be an advantage. With Fallout 3 framework, they've something to start with and can compile/test it on an established environment without hacking/programming all that stuff into Onyx again.

I don't know how easy it was, but Onyx most certainly is already built. :)

Yes but unless they want New Vegas to go into a completely different direction I don't see how using it would be an advantage. With Fallout 3 framework, they've something to start with and can compile/test it on an established environment without hacking/programming all that stuff into Onyx again.

Product differentiation is a pretty big advantage to overlook.

Bethesda/Obsidian? Weirdest mashup ever.

It could be good if Bethesda manages to keep their dirty paws to themselves, shame about the engine though...

Oh well, at least Obsidian will get lots of money for their independent projects!

Edited by Purkake

I would take the engine assertion with a grain of salt. Howard (Hines? It's a monday) didn't say anything publicly about the game's engine from what I've read.

I believe it's going to use Fallout 3's engine. Well I hope Obsidian gives it a much needed tune up. If this does well (which I have no reason to believe it won't,) Obsidian might be given the opportunity to develop Fallout 4.

Maybe this is why George Ziets came back from Bethesda, for this project. He might be one of the leads or something. One thing's for sure, since this is scheduled for late 2010 release, it's probably been in the works for some time now.

Anyway, I dunno what to say. I've never liked Bethesda and the type of games they usually make. So if this is just another first-person, sandbox RPG, like FO3, then... it's not that exciting. I hope this is more of a classic RPG. Regardless, I'm glad Obsidian's working on something besides AP, now that Aliens got canceled.

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Of all people, Bethesda.

I don't know. I wish I could feel happy for Obsidian for getting their hands back on the Fallout franchise, but I can only see Bethesda people as ones who destroyed one of my favourite game, Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Furthermore Bethesda is never known to be awesome publishers. Remember the last Star Trek games?

And why Fallout 3 engine? urgh. Collaborating making games with Bethesda? I can only imagine there is a clash of belief in game design involved that caters to mainstream.

Anyway, I will be just standing riiiiight here at the corner, and wait and see. Sorry guyz, but I'm just not feeling the excitement at all.

Edited by Zoma

Kewl.

Seems like a quick development cycle. Does this mean that they're using Bethesda's engine/assets/etc.?

I would guess so. It's scheduled for 2010.

Anyway, Obsidian did showed that they are capable of making decent sequels, if proper assets from previous game are available (NWN2, KotOR2).

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

Of all people, Bethesda.

I don't know. I wish I could feel happy for Obsidian for getting their hands back on the Fallout franchise, but I can only see Bethesda people as ones who destroyed one of my favourite game, Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Furthermore Bethesda is never known to be awesome publishers. Remember the last Star Trek games?

And why Fallout 3 engine? urgh.

Anyway, I will be just standing riiiiight here at the corner, and wait and see. Sorry guyz, but I'm just not feeling the excitement at all.

Bethesda destroyed Cthulhu? That's nonsense.

And Beth is not your standard publisher, but also a developer, so that's a good thing. They care about Fallout, Obsidian cares about Fallout, therefor we, the customers, win.

Anyway, I dunno what to say. I've never liked Bethesda and the type of games they usually make. So if this is just another first-person, sandbox RPG, like FO3, then... it's not that exciting. I hope this is more of a classic RPG. Regardless, I'm glad Obsidian's working on something besides AP, now that Aliens got canceled.

I feel the same.

Edit: But maybe this game is intended to be exactly what Fallout 3 failed to be. I hope so.

Edited by Krezack

Of all people, Bethesda.

And Beth is not your standard publisher, but also a developer, so that's a good thing. They care about Fallout, Obsidian cares about Fallout, therefor we, the customers, win.

I'm also interested in the "Beth destroyed Call of Cthulhu" thing. They made it and it was buggy, but if they hadn't made it, it wouldn't have been made at all...

Is there any official word on how this "partnership" works? If Obsidian gets to do what they want then I see good things in the future...

Bethesda destroyed Cthulhu. The game was actually developed for PC and has far more in-depth inventory and damage system. Unfortunately when Bethesda took over the publishing reign, they demanded the gameplay to be simplified for the console. The developers did which is fine.

However, the game was delayed for a full year before release even though it was completed because Bethesda wanted to coincide the release with Europe. The company, Headfirst productions responsible for making the game went kaput because of zilch funds due to delayed release.

I wish I could bring in concrete proof in form of links, but the website of Headfirst Productions was long gone ever since it was defunct.

And Beth is not your standard publisher, but also a developer, so that's a good thing.

Yeah, and the Star Trek game license had been crap under their publications.

Edited by Zoma

Of all people, Bethesda.

I'm also interested in the "Beth destroyed Call of Cthulhu" thing. They made it and it was buggy, but if they hadn't made it, it wouldn't have been made at all...

Is there any official word on how this "partnership" works? If Obsidian gets to do what they want then I see good things in the future...

Bethesda didn't make Cthulhu, that was some other studio that found itself unable to pull the **** together.

Of all people, Bethesda.

Bethesda didn't make Cthulhu, that was some other studio that found itself unable to pull the **** together.

They didn't develop the game. Headstrong Productions did and had made a far more in-depth gameplay until Bethesda demanded it to be simplified for the XBOX. I had whined about it years ago regarding of this, its not exactly new news.

Edited by Zoma

Bethesda destroyed Cthulhu. The game was actually developed for PC and has far more in-depth inventory and damage system. Unfortunately when Bethesda took over the publishing reign, they demanded the gameplay to be simplified for the console. The developers did which is fine.

However, the game was delayed for a full year before release even though it was completed because Bethesda wanted to coincide the release with Europe. The company, Headfirst productions responsible for making the game went kaput because of zilch funds due to delayed release.

I wish I could bring in concrete proof in form of links, but the website of Headfirst Productions was long gone ever since it was defunct.

I think I heard something about that...

TBH, the game destroyed itself when you killed an elder god with a deck cannon. It had some interesting ideas, but in the end it was just a bunch of Lovecraft stories strung together with bad combat.

Hmm, do they still have the Call of Cthulhu license? Maybe Obsidian can make a Lovecraftian rpg with their new engine?

Edited by Purkake

Kind of sucks if it'll use the old FO3 engine...
...shame about the engine though...
I believe it's going to use Fallout 3's engine. Well I hope Obsidian gives it a much needed tune up.

OK, I think we've already found the new in-thing to complain about among the Obsidianite regulars.

When I played Fallout 3, I played a game with fantastic technology. Long view distances, huge seamless world (no stutters!), good frame rates, relatively believable physics, relatively high in polygon count, seamless day-and-night cycle etc.

Feel free to explain why it's suddenly worse than AIDS.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This is fantastic! Fallout 3 was the best game I played last year, so take it and add in Obsidian writers, and it sounds like a match made in heaven.

I wouldn't go expecting the gameplay mechanics to be much different for all the folks that disliked Fallout 3. This will likely be a bit like KotOR 2, new story and characters, but same overall character creation, gameplay, and look. That's great for me, but I can see some people having issues.