Fallout 3

Gorth

I started to figure out the Subway pretty early on, you just need to know if you are trying to go up or down. Plus there are quite a few signs still up to follow.

sadly. the subway is as segmented and encapsulated as is the streets o' dc... can't simply follow red line or blue line or white line.

am admitting that we were moderate annoyed trying to navigate to rivet city or other dc city locales early in game.

HA! Good Fun!

Except that you don't need to use any metros to get to RC.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I started to figure out the Subway pretty early on, you just need to know if you are trying to go up or down. Plus there are quite a few signs still up to follow.

sadly. the subway is as segmented and encapsulated as is the streets o' dc... can't simply follow red line or blue line or white line.

am admitting that we were moderate annoyed trying to navigate to rivet city or other dc city locales early in game.

HA! Good Fun!

Except that you don't need to use any metros to get to RC.

the problem is once you get into the dc maze...

according to maps and pointy arrows it seems likes metros makes sense to get to washington monument and rivet and other locales... but it not always work that way. also, why we would we expect long route o be any less blocked? long path only makes sense in retrospect.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Like Gromnir, my second run is to run up every skill and stat. I've got 5,10,6,7,10,10,10. At least I think so. I'm not at home right now, so I can't be sure. That includes 10 ranks of intense training and all of the stat bobbleheads."

boosting skills makes powerful. boosting stats...

some fallout 3 stats seem large useless. perception does what? boost a couple a skills slightly and makes enemies show up quicker on radar thingie? doesn't seem to impact ranged vats % at all. charisma gots 1 use: animal friendship perk.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Have you even taken the time to think that maybe we're all generally interested in a genuine experienced opinion from you instead of the half hearted responses you've been giving."

Before you trolled me, I had only posted once in this threads and that was to post a link to a review... so, what half hearted comments?

"In a way, if you had played it, and then decided it sucked then it'd be easier to comprehend, but now you're just being stubborn, and frankly I'm not throwing the word ignorant around because I want to insult you, it's a genuine observation that you're indeed showing ignorance towards FO3."

Ignorance implies lack of knowledge. I have seen enough videos, read enough reviews, previews, articles, posts, etc. to have solid enough information to make a decision on whether or not the game is worth my $80.... just as you did.

"At the end of the day FO3 is a big release,"

Do you buy every AAA/big release? I doubt it very much.

" and part of what I personally like about these forums are characters like yourself, a big RPG release without an honest to god Vologic thrashing or praising makes the world an odd place,"

Oh, please. Get over me.

" naturally that's not a reason alone to buy anything, but it just goes to show that you don't value ANY of our opinions at all,"

Don't lie. You don't value my opinion at all. Your insults, and flames shows that you don't.

Also, why should I spend $80 just to make you happy?

" so why contribute at all?"

FUN FACT: I wans't 'contributing' at all. Again, I didn't post in this thread AT ALL (except the codex review link) until you trolled me.

And, oh, I'm on this forum because I like Obsidian games, and I don't mind exchanging opinions. And, I value others' opinions... just not $80 worth.

"Very well said. It is odd that someone who seems to have little regard for most forum goers here spends so much time here. I hang out here because there are quite a few people with similar interests and I enjoy conversing with them."

Right. Because people here have so 'much regard' for my opinions? Doubtful. Besides, again, I'm here because I enjoy Obsidian games. That's why i came. And, I don't mind reading others' opinions whether I agree with them or not. But, I most certainly not gonna spend $80 just because YOU tell me I should.

Sadly, you guys miss the point. I wasn't even posting in this thread until Nightshape's trolling of me. I was happily just reading others' opinions on the game MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS without posting snark about the game in this thread so don't go on about me bashing FO3 in a FO3 thread as I wasn't doing that AT ALL.

Go back to discussing FO3, and stop trolling me. That shows you don't value, or respect me, my opinion, or even this thread at all (which is most important).

Thank you.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've stopped reading Volo's post for a while now. Is that healthy?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Topic: FO3 is the very successful sequel to FO1, and FO2. It is developed by Bethesda, and brings players into the wasteland in a whole new adventure. Can YOU survive the wastalnd? :lol:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Topic: FO3 is the very successful sequel to FO1, and FO2. It is developed by Bethesda, and brings players into the wasteland in a whole new adventure. Can YOU survive the wastalnd? :)

We shall see. I'll probably buy this game, though I doubt Bethesda has made as much progress on core weaknesses as I might wish. Still, I got a lot of enjoyment out of Oblivion, so why not?

I'm a bit surprised by how successful it is, though. 4.7 million units shipped? Fable II is doing well, and I think Mass Effect was a big seller too, right? Surely this is great news! Western-style RPGs have found the mass market, and a secure financial future, without morphing so completely into FPS that they lose all role-playing elements. Now the endless drift towards 'action-RPGs' can halt.:)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Western-style RPGs have found the mass market, and a secure financial future, without morphing so completely into FPS that they lose all role-playing elements.

Sorry to break the news, but Fallout 3 is not that great of an RPG when compared to, say, Fallout 2 or Bloodlines. As a "RPG-light" game it works, but if you're expecting a great role playing experience look elsewhere.

EDIT: That's not to say it's not a fun game... :lol:

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Personally, the fact that:

1. I found all previous Bethseda games extremely unrewarding

2. I prefer party-based games

3. I don't like FPS-style games

4. Fallout (except Tactics) was a bit "Meh" for me

Makes FO3 remarkable. Because I think it's an extremely enjoyable, replayable labour of love by developers who clearly thought carefully about what they were doing. They deserve their success, and other developers who were giving up on Western RPGs might want to consider the plaudits given to FO3 and ponder how they might use it to their advantage. OK, there have been a few moments where I thought I might have been playing Grand Theft Auto's Mad Max expansion pack, but thankfully they've stayed on the right side of that particular line.

The next phase for me, to cement Bethseda in my mind as a developer I'll start to get behind and buy stuff from is (a) future content and modes and (b) crucially, technical support and patching.

Cheers

MC

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

FO3 is the... [commercially] successful [attempted] sequel to FO1, and FO2.

:lol:

No, it's a sequel.

Don't destroy the dream, alanschu!

Actually, this reminds me of the guy on the old Ion Storm boards who said he was going to wait for the real Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3.

Don't destroy the dream, alanschu!

Actually, this reminds me of the guy on the old Ion Storm boards who said he was going to wait for the real Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3.

Haha that always makes me laugh.

No matter how much people want to deny it for whatever reason...it's the sequel. It might not be the one you were hoping for, but that's often the case.

"Have you even taken the time to think that maybe we're all generally interested in a genuine experienced opinion from you instead of the half hearted responses you've been giving."

Before you trolled me, I had only posted once in this threads and that was to post a link to a review... so, what half hearted comments?

I'm sorry but I really DON'T go around reading all your posts in every thread.

"In a way, if you had played it, and then decided it sucked then it'd be easier to comprehend, but now you're just being stubborn, and frankly I'm not throwing the word ignorant around because I want to insult you, it's a genuine observation that you're indeed showing ignorance towards FO3."

Ignorance implies lack of knowledge. I have seen enough videos, read enough reviews, previews, articles, posts, etc. to have solid enough information to make a decision on whether or not the game is worth my $80.... just as you did.

I actually played the game, before I purchased it. I loaned it from work for 2 days, I could have kept it longer, I could have finished it and kept my hands on it for months and months. I chose to buy it.

"At the end of the day FO3 is a big release,"

Do you buy every AAA/big release? I doubt it very much.

Do I buy every big release? No, some of them I will wait for. Do I buy every big RPG release, you bet ya I do, every single one.

" and part of what I personally like about these forums are characters like yourself, a big RPG release without an honest to god Vologic thrashing or praising makes the world an odd place,"

Oh, please. Get over me.

I was trying to be polite.

" naturally that's not a reason alone to buy anything, but it just goes to show that you don't value ANY of our opinions at all,"

Don't lie. You don't value my opinion at all. Your insults, and flames shows that you don't.

Do I value your opinion in respect to making choices? No, I suppose some individuals do, personally I find it entertaining. That's when you actually contribute to the forums properly instead of an unreasoned unexplained "NO".

Also, why should I spend $80 just to make you happy?

Don't, I never said you should either, but you're missing a gem... But that said you've commited yourself to hating it now, so maybe you should keep your 80$ and just rent it.

" so why contribute at all?"

FUN FACT: I wans't 'contributing' at all. Again, I didn't post in this thread AT ALL (except the codex review link) until you trolled me.

And, oh, I'm on this forum because I like Obsidian games, and I don't mind exchanging opinions. And, I value others' opinions... just not $80 worth.

I sort of meant to the forums as a whole. You know you could have ignored it all...

"Very well said. It is odd that someone who seems to have little regard for most forum goers here spends so much time here. I hang out here because there are quite a few people with similar interests and I enjoy conversing with them."

Right. Because people here have so 'much regard' for my opinions? Doubtful. Besides, again, I'm here because I enjoy Obsidian games. That's why i came. And, I don't mind reading others' opinions whether I agree with them or not. But, I most certainly not gonna spend $80 just because YOU tell me I should.

Really Volo, all anyone is saying is that you should play the game. Nobody has said that you should buy the game, borrow it, play it at a friends, rent it, whatever, but go take a look and inform yourself correctly and atleast then when you say you don't like it or even want to know about it, you can say why etc... And it's not based on second hand info.

End of Volo I won't say another thing about FO3 to you in any thread, well unless you start talking about FO3 because you've played it.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I'm going to shot that stupid dog myself and leave him dead for good if he doesn't stop his damned growling every time there's an enemy nearby. Not to mention I had to reload a few times, one time he got in my line of fire and I scored a critical on him. Combat shotgun is devastating like that.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Something interesting happened when I gave myself Power Armor training at GNR:

I decided to give myself power armor training after I found the first set of power armor I came across (Arlington Library). Well, I finally made it to GNR and helped the Lyons' Pride take down the behemoth. I talked to Lyons afterward and she said she would allow me to wear the power armor, but to not forget where it came from.

I found this an interesting little twist, seeing as how you're not even supposed to be able to wear PA until later in the MQ. Is there someway to get PA training before GNR? How else would Bethesda know to put that little bit in there. Either way, it was cool to see the game react to my wearing PA before I'm supposed to

:grin:

@KK: For real, haha.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well this has certainly been an interesting saga.

It's 90% confirmed that I'll be getting myself a fairly good, shiny laptop at the end of next week; I'll try and borrow FO3, or perhaps just buy it, around end of the month.

I read a lot of player reviews including here, Codex, Iron Tower Studios, etc, and it feels like I'm going to get an Oblivionish experience from it - by which I mean, I'll have a lot of fun for quite a few hours, though probably not endlessly replayable or best-ever fantastic. I expect some flaws or detractions, but there seems to be enough in there to have fun the first time round. Besides, new laptop, needs to go for a whirl.