Fallout 3

Gorth

On my second play through with a total bastard, the cookie cutter sections don't annoy quite so much because yuo get better at navigatinga nd can appreciate the nuances. I've started to get quite proprietorial about sections of the DC metro.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm only about half-way through with a level 13 character, but I utterly love this game. I got dogmeat, but bless his heart, I ended up plopping him in my Megaton house because I was afraid the poor dear would get killed. As much as I love party-based RPGs, I'm finding that I prefer Fallout 3 to be a solo adventure. I'll probably hunt out the paladin companion to see if she works out with a mini-gun, but at the moment I'm finding go-for-the-throat companions to be more of a liability than a help.

And I must join those who find the Tenpenny Towers quest to be absolutely backward and broken. Frustrated the hell out of me. I've figured out how to manipulate future games...

do the mediation quest all the way until the end, but do not go to Roy in the tunnels afterward

... but the quest itself and the karma is absolutely broken. I mean,

I even tried killing Roy and his group in the sewers before they ever reached the towers, and Tenpenny was still dead when I arrived... the game just deposited the ghouls' corpses in the lobby and docked me a ton of karma points

. The entire quest seemed backward, karma-wise, and left a bad taste.

I'm now in the Oasis, hoping that I can figure an acceptable way out of that dilemma now that Agatha has her new violin.

I'm definitely interested in trying some perks I didn't choose the first time around like Mysterious Stranger and Animal Friend. I played a doctor/scientist character that was proficient in energy weapons but had a very low charisma and melee/unarmed skills.

I took Explorer for my 20th level perk and I've been hunting down all the locations I missed before I continue on with the final parts of the main quest.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

I also think they should reduce the wide open areas.

What?! Shut up! That's the single greatest thing about Fallout 3: the vast and open landscape! It's not very often we who enjoy exploring get games of this magnitude, you know.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

i say keep the wide open landscapes (which look great btw) but reduce the cookie-cutter areas. that way you're more likely to find something distinctive rather than just another metro station with rubble in it.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

Is it worth exploring in Fallout 3? In Oblivion there wasn't much point since a) evrything looked the same and b) the level scaling and leveled loot lists meant you weren't going to find much worth anything anyway.

Has that been fixed in Fallout 3?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I love exploring in Fallout 3. It's amazing what I stumble upon. It can't even be compared to Oblivion in that regard.

Awesome. I am pretty stoked to play this game when the time comes.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hey, if I leave Dogmeat in Megaton, does he just stay at my house? Does that robot butler feed him and whatnot? I prefer going around on my own also. Plus, at least on very hard, I don't think Dogmeat does enough damage to make it worth risking him.

Yes, Dogmeat will just hang out at the house.

Is it worth exploring in Fallout 3? In Oblivion there wasn't much point since a) evrything looked the same and b) the level scaling and leveled loot lists meant you weren't going to find much worth anything anyway.

Has that been fixed in Fallout 3?

I'm on my second playthrough now and so far I've found The Tenderizer (sledgehammer), Vampire's Bite (a sword) and another bobblehead (number thirteen) I didn't find before. And all three were in areas I had been to before, just not thoroughly enough!

So yeah, I'd say they've really made the game explore-worthwhile. It's very difficult to find a balance between doling out too many rewards and not enough rewards (making exploration seem pointless, a la Oblivion), but Fallout 3 is very near the perfect balance.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Fawkes is the shiznits, he doesnt get in the way of my massive missile and minigun blasts and he can take any amount of punishment.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its not just mities. In Fallout Dogmeat had a 50% chance of getting killed by me for running into my line of fire. Fallout 3 Dogmeat has a 90% chance of getting killed by me for running into my line of fire. I've already hit him numerous times for leaping in my way.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Its not just mities. In Fallout Dogmeat had a 50% chance of getting killed by me for running into my line of fire. Fallout 3 Dogmeat has a 90% chance of getting killed by me for running into my line of fire. I've already hit him numerous times for leaping in my way.

I've killed him once that way and only because the thing he was fighting was as low to the ground as he. Against anything as tall as a person, I've never hit him.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I wished I wasn't allergic to dogs and cats and anything with fur. I would love to have an actual dog. I kept Dogmeat alive at all costs even if it meant standing between the enemy and him and shooting at point blank range while taking damage.

Dogmeat was pretty resilient though. He would only die if three or more of those disturbing crab-men surrounded him or we got ambushed by a Deathclaw or two. Against everything else he was pretty good.

Was anyone else creeped out by those crab-men? I found the whole mireluk processing factory scary as hell. And when I first ran into a Mireluk King, I screamed in fear.

I wished I wasn't allergic to dogs and cats and anything with fur. I would love to have an actual dog. I kept Dogmeat alive at all costs even if it meant standing between the enemy and him and shooting at point blank range while taking damage.

Dogmeat was pretty resilient though. He would only die if three or more of those disturbing crab-men surrounded him or we got ambushed by a Deathclaw or two. Against everything else he was pretty good.

Was anyone else creeped out by those crab-men? I found the whole mireluk processing factory scary as hell. And when I first ran into a Mireluk King, I screamed in fear.

Mirelurks are one of the new additions I do NOT like in FO3

"I saw a mirelurk the other day. Nasty little creatures."

"I saw a mudcrab the other day. Nasty little creatures."

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta