Fallout 3

Gorth

Apparently, I played this game the 'right' way. I created my character in the vault, went to Megaton after getting out and from there I was on my own. I didn't touch the main quest until I had gorged myself on the beautiful wasteland for hours and hours on end. Then, when I felt ready to move on, I finished the main quest in probably under 10 hours. But by then I had gotten a full 50 hours of gametime just wandering around, solving sidequests!

I'm very happy with this purchase. More than I can say about Far Cry 2, which is now lying in the dust next to my computer, unfinished.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm very happy with this purchase. More than I can say about Far Cry 2, which is now lying in the dust next to my computer, unfinished.

lol. I've got more than 100 hours into Far Cry 2 and really enjoy it. It's the thing that is keeping me from buying FO3. When I am done with FC2, then I shall commence FO3. Either that or King's Bounty. Or Dead Space. Haven't actually decided between the three yet.

I love choices!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

lol. I've got more than 100 hours into Far Cry 2 and really enjoy it. It's the thing that is keeping me from buying FO3. When I am done with FC2, then I shall commence FO3. Either that or King's Bounty. Or Dead Space. Haven't actually decided between the three yet.

I love choices!

I'll join the line of people that thinks you'll love FO3.

For me it's a lot like Stalker in athmosphere and scavenger feeling (so far at least, I'm only lvl 9). Add to that some nice RPG-stats and everything is good. And a vast world where you can go wherever whenever.

So basically it's Stalker like Stalker should have been (or at least Stalker like the devs said it would be). Minus the russians.

(ok, so combat differs. It's much faster in FO3. It's playable as a straight shooter, but for me that burns too much ammo and results in a dead character a bit too often. Strategic moving and use of Vats is the way to go)

I love choices!

For me it's a lot like Stalker in athmosphere and scavenger feeling (so far at least, I'm only lvl 9). Add to that some nice RPG-stats and everything is good. And a vast world where you can go wherever whenever.

So basically it's Stalker like Stalker should have been (or at least Stalker like the devs said it would be). Minus the russians.

(ok, so combat differs. It's much faster in FO3. It's playable as a straight shooter, but for me that burns too much ammo and results in a dead character a bit too often. Strategic moving and use of Vats is the way to go)

Unlike Volourn, the vast number of people on this board who I know disliked or at least saw the flaws of Oblivion but think Fallout 3 is at least very good, have sold me on the game.

SO thank you all!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Some weapons work better outside of VATS, most heavy weapons, and all mele weapons, because they consume too many action points. VATS is mostly for sneak shots and splattering heads over the ground, said sneak shots are vastly overpowered compared to anything else.

It is NOT go anywhere any time though. The largest urban area has faulty maps and boulders blocking your path, you will be lucky just to guess the right path for your quest, much less go to a station you know where is, but haven't discovered.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I love choices!

Unlike Volourn, the vast number of people on this board who I know disliked or at least saw the flaws of Oblivion but think Fallout 3 is at least very good, have sold me on the game.

SO thank you all!

Well Volourn is just being ignorant and stubborn... And I wouldn't say you're an ignorant person...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

SO thank you all!

Well, because I love exploring an open world so much I actually didn't hate Oblivion (Okay, okay, I hated the main quest. With a passion. And the leveling scheme... wouldn't play it until I found a mod to eliminate that silliness)... but I just don't see the comparison with Fallout 3. It is night and day.

I honestly think you'd love this game. Fair enough, I've probably steered you wrong in the past at some point, but this game is utterly addictive. It would take hundreds and hundreds of hours to see everything that's been tucked away in this already huge world. Infinite replayability. I really haven't read a single post on this forum or Beth's by somebody who didn't really enjoy this game (complaints about the ending, yes... and of course, technical complaints from those who are having trouble). Bethesda hit a home run with this game, IMHO. It will be in my top five all-time favorites.

Buy it. Now, before it's sold out everywhere. And unless you're an extreme masochist, get the strategy guide that has maps or believe me, you'll spend 6 hours trying to navigate every subway and collapsed building you enter. I know it's cheating, but me lOVE maps! :lol:

"Well Volourn is just being ignorant and stubborn... And I wouldn't say you're an ignorant person..."

The fact that you have to resort to flaming, and trolling proves whose the ignorant one.

Sorry, if I'm not about to jump off the cliff with my $80 like everybody else.

Even the poeple who like the game mention quite a few weaknesses to it., Besdies, I don't trust Obsidian fanboys who think KOTOR2 is the bestg game ever, and blame publishers for all weaknesses in Obsidian games 9even thoguh I like Obsidian games myself).

Bethesda games suck, and I have heard nothing to disprove that FO3 is any aidfferent. At best, it's a 'little better'.

The fact that Di (who likes FO3) doesn't even bother with FO3's companions when she LOVES joinable npcs says A LOT to me. Not to mention the complaints about combat, dififuclty, exploration, the ending, the writing,e tc., and these are complaints from people who like the game.

So keep crying because I won't join you in your Fo3 lovefest. I'll wait to SOZ comes out which will actually be a a fun game worth my money.

I don't buy games based on other people liking it. I often use *why* others like certain games to determine why I buy games. I've bought games that i wans't initially interested in because people made a *convincing* argument on why i should gave it a chance.

So, enjoy flaming me, if it makes you feel cool because you bought FO3 and I didn't. *shrug*

P.S. i've read/watched a lot a stuff about FO3. There are things I think i'll like about it - just not enough to pay full price for the game.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Snipping FTW. It is something I have been wishing for in a long time. Example is in Seward Square. I was up on the walkway that overlooks the area. I was snipping away at Black Talon and Muties. Good times with a touch of godly power.

Some places in the game are just creepy thanks to the background music and sound effects. Those places are usually where the feral ghouls dwell. Scary.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Volourn,

No one is flaming you because you're uninterested in the game. People are flaming you because you're saying the game is bad even though you've never played it. And you're doing so in a thread where the majority of people thought it would be bad before they played it, but find the game good to great.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The fact that Di (who likes FO3) doesn't even bother with FO3's companions when she LOVES joinable npcs says A LOT to me. Not to mention the complaints about combat, dififuclty, exploration, the ending, the writing,e tc., and these are complaints from people who like the game.

Whoa, don't drag me into this! First, the only companion I've even found is Dogmeat, and unfortunately that's just what he becomes all too often out in the wastes. I got tired of reloading, so I left him safe and sound back home. This game requires a lot of exploring in crumbling ruins and narrow tunnels where I figured that a companion might be more of a burden than a help, and as I said, from a roleplaying point of view, the vault dweller's journey seems intensely personal so traveling alone seemed a reasonable choice.

I don't care if you don't want to play the game. If you don't like Bethesda products and don't want to buy one, that's entirely your choice.

"No one is flaming you because you're uninterested in the game."

K.

" People are flaming you because you're saying the game is bad even though you've never played it."

I've read enough reviews, previews, articlles, opions, and wtached my share of vids for it to make an informed decision. The same way everybody decided to play the game. We *all* decide to buy or not buy games through these methods and pretty much everybody judges games before they buy them if they do it all. This is the reason why I chose not to buy Guitar Hero. And, why many don't buy EA Sports games.

" And you're doing so in a thread where the majority of people thought it would be bad before they played it, but find the game good to great."

O RLY?

Did you read this thread? I hardly, if ever posted in this theead. IIRC, this is my 3rd post. (I might have missed otehrs not sure).

Post #1 - A link to the Codex Review. Not even a smart aleck remark eitehr by me. i just figured others would wnat to read a (mostly) positive review from the Codex.

Post #2 - Response to Nightshapes' unprovoked trolling, and attack.

Post #3 - This one here. Seriosuly, I have read this threa dbut I haven't posted in it really.

Did you mean the 'Which FO is the Best FO?" I won't apologize for my comments in that one since, by definition, it's a comparison thread (and, obtw, FO3 is losing there.

I purposefully avoided posting in this thread, because this trhead shouldn't come down to me vs FO3 fanatics. I was trying to be respectful but don't troll my name. I will respond to trolling.

"Whoa, don't drag me into this! First, the only companion I've even found is Dogmeat, and unfortunately that's just what he becomes all too often out in the wastes. I got tired of reloading, so I left him safe and sound back home. This game requires a lot of exploring in crumbling ruins and narrow tunnels where I figured that a companion might be more of a burden than a help, and as I said, from a roleplaying point of view, the vault dweller's journey seems intensely personal so traveling alone seemed a reasonable choice"

Woah. I wasn't dragging you into anything nor was I making fun of you. I only used your latest post on an example of how I don't just use someone liking or disliking a game tod ecide whether or not to buy it. But, the 8whys* ar ejust important. No offense intended.

Anyways,....

*back to reading the thread in peace unless someone trolls me again*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Whoa, don't drag me into this! First, the only companion I've even found is Dogmeat, and unfortunately that's just what he becomes all too often out in the wastes. I got tired of reloading, so I left him safe and sound back home. This game requires a lot of exploring in crumbling ruins and narrow tunnels where I figured that a companion might be more of a burden than a help, and as I said, from a roleplaying point of view, the vault dweller's journey seems intensely personal so traveling alone seemed a reasonable choice.

I don't care if you don't want to play the game. If you don't like Bethesda products and don't want to buy one, that's entirely your choice.

Yeah, the game really works best as a lone wanderer. There are some great companion moments. When I had to protect a group of scientists, it was great. Some were scared, some were willing to take a gun and fight along. I enjoyed the choices and the fight scene there, and I felt rewarded at the end.

But I didn't want a long term companion around. I wanted to sneak around and explore dangerous places, and having a lackey around wasn't welcome. I'll probably try to keep a few people wih me in a repeat playthrough.

I also rarely replay games. Jagged Alliance 2 is about the only one I actively replay again and again (and again). The fact that I'm planning another character after beating the game says a lot.

.....I also rarely replay games. Jagged Alliance 2 is about the only one I actively replay again and again (and again). ...

OMG, me too!!! Jagged Alliance 2 has been #1 on my all-time favorite list since the first time I played it... and it's still there! Love that game. Love it, love it, love it!

And unless you're an extreme masochist, get the strategy guide that has maps or believe me, you'll spend 6 hours trying to navigate every subway and collapsed building you enter.

The glowing green arrow is not enough for you?! :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

And unless you're an extreme masochist, get the strategy guide that has maps or believe me, you'll spend 6 hours trying to navigate every subway and collapsed building you enter.

The glowing green arrow is not enough for you?! :shifty:

You mean the Pip Boy local map? That blurring, indistinguishable bunch of onscreen blobs? No. It's not enough for me. :lol:

Well I finished the game,

and I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by the main quest. I mowed down the opposition at project purity with extreme ease at hard setting, I didn't even need a single stimpack. Paladin whatsherface got the job of entering the code, I am a wasteland survivor after all. One might have preferred a little more challenge after hamstering 20 nuka grenades and getting to use three or four in total. Ahh well.

I found the same thing in my first game. The final part was really easy, but I get sick and tired of every game trying to outdo the final boss. I managed to finish the game the first time by

talking Col. Autumn into leaving. I sacrificed myself.

The enclave went down like cheap hookers in my first run. They were much easier than many of the earlier opponents. Hell, a called railgun shot to the head had a huge chance of killing the bad guys.

Like Gromnir, my second run is to run up every skill and stat. I've got 5,10,6,7,10,10,10. At least I think so. I'm not at home right now, so I can't be sure. That includes 10 ranks of intense training and all of the stat bobbleheads.

So, the ease of the final part didn't bother me, although the ending sequence was pathetic. I wanted to know more.

As far as folks saying they hate Fallout 3 and won't play it. Fair enough. I don't even care if they waste their time in a thread dedicated to a game in which they allegedly have no interest. However, I'm quite happy that I purchased this title. If Bethesda makes a sequel, then I'm buying it. Great job!

"Well Volourn is just being ignorant and stubborn... And I wouldn't say you're an ignorant person..."

The fact that you have to resort to flaming, and trolling proves whose the ignorant one.

Sorry, if I'm not about to jump off the cliff with my $80 like everybody else.

Even the poeple who like the game mention quite a few weaknesses to it., Besdies, I don't trust Obsidian fanboys who think KOTOR2 is the bestg game ever, and blame publishers for all weaknesses in Obsidian games 9even thoguh I like Obsidian games myself).

Bethesda games suck, and I have heard nothing to disprove that FO3 is any aidfferent. At best, it's a 'little better'.

So keep crying because I won't join you in your Fo3 lovefest. I'll wait to SOZ comes out which will actually be a a fun game worth my money.

I don't buy games based on other people liking it. I often use *why* others like certain games to determine why I buy games. I've bought games that i wans't initially interested in because people made a *convincing* argument on why i should gave it a chance.

So, enjoy flaming me, if it makes you feel cool because you bought FO3 and I didn't. *shrug*

P.S. i've read/watched a lot a stuff about FO3. There are things I think i'll like about it - just not enough to pay full price for the game.

Have you even taken the time to think that maybe we're all generally interested in a genuine experienced opinion from you instead of the half hearted responses you've been giving.

In a way, if you had played it, and then decided it sucked then it'd be easier to comprehend, but now you're just being stubborn, and frankly I'm not throwing the word ignorant around because I want to insult you, it's a genuine observation that you're indeed showing ignorance towards FO3.

At the end of the day FO3 is a big release, and part of what I personally like about these forums are characters like yourself, a big RPG release without an honest to god Vologic thrashing or praising makes the world an odd place, naturally that's not a reason alone to buy anything, but it just goes to show that you don't value ANY of our opinions at all, so why contribute at all?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

At the end of the day FO3 is a big release, and part of what I personally like about these forums are characters like yourself, a big RPG release without an honest to god Vologic thrashing or praising makes the world an odd place, naturally that's not a reason alone to buy anything, but it just goes to show that you don't value ANY of our opinions at all, so why contribute at all?

Very well said. It is odd that someone who seems to have little regard for most forum goers here spends so much time here. I hang out here because there are quite a few people with similar interests and I enjoy conversing with them.

Damn those centaurs are just disgusting. The bloody thing sneaked up behind me while I was in a crouch position getting rady to nail a mutie, I turn around and this sick freak was face to face with me. So unnerving. This game has its scary moments. I'd go insane if such a thing was real.

This play thru I am going to make sure I do all of the quests as I can. I missed out last game.

Sneak kills is overkill but good fun. Singls shot kills FTW.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I started to figure out the Subway pretty early on, you just need to know if you are trying to go up or down. Plus there are quite a few signs still up to follow.

sadly. the subway is as segmented and encapsulated as is the streets o' dc... can't simply follow red line or blue line or white line.

am admitting that we were moderate annoyed trying to navigate to rivet city or other dc city locales early in game.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)