Fallout 3

Gorth

It's clear you're already living in denial.

Better here than where you are... :aiee:

I prefer reality. Or is it better to nitpick a game purely because of its title? If Fallout: Tactics or Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel had been called Fallout 3, all it would have been is a sequel to Fallout 2 that I didn't particularly enjoy.

As for "would it be bad if Fallout 3 wasn't made." Well, for the people that are enjoying it....yes.

It's too bad the game isn't all you hoped for. It seems to be for a lot of people, and that's good for them. If it's not all you hoped for, move on, and find a game that is all you hope for.

Edited by alanschu

I prefer reality.

And my reality is that I would have prefered it be called something else. Anyways, this is getting rather pointless. What do people think about expansions? Will there be some or is Bethesda going to jump to Fallout 4/IV? :aiee:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to delete saved games besides just writing over them? My list of saves is getting rather clumsy to work with.

Right click on the one you want to delete.

Thank you, my sweet! *smooch*

I prefer reality.

And my reality is that I would have prefered it be called something else. Anyways, this is getting rather pointless. What do people think about expansions? Will there be some or is Bethesda going to jump to Fallout 4/IV? :aiee:

And I'd prefer to be waking up next to Jessica Alba every day, but sometimes reality just isn't the way we want it to be.

To scrutinize Fallout 3 because of its title is petty. If you like the game (which you say you do), then be happy you have a game that you like. It could have been complete utter **** if you prefer. But why someone would want to deny themselves a game they enjoy just boggles my mind.

When you wake up next to your chosen professional, the implication is that you have indeed enjoyed a bout of sexual intercourse. This is such a non-issue.

As for titles and numbers, on another forum Deus Ex fans were saying, based on information released so far about DX3, that it might be a good game, but it won't be a Deus Ex game. Who exactly gets to decide what makes a [insert series here] game/book/film? "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" was alright, but it was no Indiana Jones film". Yes if ****ing was. Maybe you don't like it, maybe you found it disappointing, maybe you have no interest in it, but it is what it is. It's this ridiculous sense of entitlement people have. Being a fan doesn't give you ownership of something. If your ego is so fragile that you can't accept a piece of entertainment without telling yourself that it's not really a [insert series here] game, or that it's just a spin-off, then that's your* problem.

Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and needs to be put into a rocket and flown into the sun along with the people who speak klingon.

*That's a general "your", jerks. But if you think I'm referring to you then I probably am.

Oh god I've started another page.

Edited by Hell Kitty

This little flame war can go on for as long as you like, but you will never win.

WRONG! I already declared him winner. Well, I technically declared myself winner...well, a tie between Hell Kitty and myself really. Aristes can tag along as a supportive groupie.

Who exactly gets to decide what makes a [insert series here] game/book/film?

I would say that this is an individual decision.

I am one of those crazy types would place this responsibility on the owner of the intellectual property.

And I would say that they can release something as a sequel but it might not be viewed as proper sequel by all the fans of the old products.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm glad I got to see that before it gets edited/removed. I always miss out on the fun.

Me too!

And I would say that they can release something as a sequel but it might be viewed as proper sequel by all the fans of the old products.

A "proper" sequel...

Edited by alanschu

i will always think of Fallout 3 as Frogger 2, except for the lack of giant mutant frogs.

http://pc.ign.com/objects/012/012050.html

It must be Frogger 3!

Oooooohhh, I get it. You don't think "Frogger 2" is a proper sequel!!! Hence, the new Frogger 2 (aka the improperly named Fallout 3) is the proper sequel! CHeck! :aiee:

Please note: The current thread has and is under-review owing to community members' choices in posting behaviour. I hope, in the interim, that constructive posting will continue ...

/rhetorical hopes form The Roost ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Okay, I have to admit that I was seriously busting a gut over all this, but I did want to end with a more or less friendly note.

I understand a lot of folks don't like that the old Fallout franchise has gone to Bethesda. If you hate it in principle there's very little to discuss. I'm wracking my brains, and the best I can come up with is how much nerd rage I personally had over Might and Magic IX. I thought, and I still think, it was the ruination of the series. I guess I am a true hypocrite in that I did post a couple of unkind words about it in the forum of the time. Not for long, but I did have a rant or two.

The point is, Fallout is what it is. The game has been extremely successful, as I understand it. If that's the case, then Fallout 3 is Fallout. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Fallout 3 has been more commercially successful than Fallout 1 or 2. Perhaps more than 1 and 2. If that's the case, then the battle is over. Nothing argues like success. When the objective is making money, sales are king, whether you think folks are foolish for buying.

So, for some of you, Fallout is dead. Fair enough. However, there are still good games on the horizon. There must be something out there that you can enjoy. ...And, all kidding aside, if the biggest problem is that you hate the fact that it's billed as a sequel, don't think of it as one. Think of it as "Fallout: DC Wasteland." Seriously, enjoy what you can enjoy in the game and don't fixate on something that you hate.

Finally, I'm genuinely sorry. I have been a jerk about all this. I was laughing about it way too hard and I don't think that was good of me at all. I should have started with this post and then maybe the last two pages wouldn't have been deleted.

EDIT: Damn, and the chief moderate beat me by a minute.

Edited by Aristes

But Might and Magic IX was the ruination of the series. It drove the final nail into the coffin and it took years before we saw another attempt at a Might and Magic property. Same thing happened with the last Ultima game.

Fallout 3 is the salvation of the Fallout series. It is selling fantastically. Fallout was a dead series before it came out.

Don't take this as the prod with a stick it is, but I get massively annoyed when people point at sales and say "Sales is king!" Sales is NOT king. Anyone can sell stuff, in fact the crappier teh better. Simply making sales hould not be ever the mark of merit for a developer or a consumer. Kraft cheese slices sell in greater quantity than worcestershire stilton, but the stilton is the better cheese. Leona Lewis had a faster selling album than anything made by the Beatles as another example.

Wherever I've found managers declaiming about sales I've (perhaps coincidentally) found small minded, unimaginative dolts. Moreover these are dolts whose projects and creations are petty, uninspired, and flop. the best they can ever hope for is accidental success.

And now, if you'll excuse me I have to sweep up all these teeth I've spit out.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Of course fallout was a dead series, the last installment was a decade ago, give or take. Same reason the comparisons don't really mean that much.

Fallout 3 is a good game despite all it's flaws. It's a bit soulless and too cute and cuddly for post apocalyptia, but it's good nonetheless. One can always hope the expansion will be better. Shivering isles was miles better than Morrowind for instance.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I agree that sales don't necessarily equal quality, but if the Beatles couldn't turn a profit, we wouldn't have had so many great albums from them. You need to turn a profit to keep on going here.

Plus, Fallout 3 is not only garnering solid sales, it also is garnering critical acclaim. And I'm not just talking about the gaming media that everyone likes to rail against, I'm talking about many folks on this forum who were pleasantly surprised at how good Fallout 3 turned out.

Sales - while often treated as being an objective evaluation of a product - is ultimately a subjective evaluation (an perhaps not of the product, but of the advertising/marketing of the product).

That said, if something sells and continues to sell, there must be some inherent value in that thing; perhaps not aesthetic quality, but the ability of the product to fit a need of some type.

As to FO3 being a continuation of the Fallout series, an interesting point to consider is that Dracula (1931) and Dracula (1958) are both Dracula films, both hugely successful in their time, but not terribly related otherwise. I have no problem with seeing Fallout 3 as both Fallout and not really likened to that which came before in the previous games (which in turn wasn't terribly similar in some respects to its inspiration, Wasteland).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man