Which Fallout was the greatest?

Bokishi

poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fallout was the greatest?

• Fallout 1
    • Fallout 2
    • Fallout 3

Nostalgia aside, the sheer magnitude of Fallout 3's wasteland, the enormity of people, places, things to see and do, the excellent graphics with every named NPC having a different and unique face... I mean, there's simply no comparison to the originals. And I wouldn't expect there to be. A decade of technology has passed, after all. There's no way a simplistic isometric view and a map cut into screen-sized quadrants would be accepted by today's game-buyers... most of whom have never even played the originals.

I think Fallout 3 is superior in all respects except for followers. Fallout 3's followers are boring, with no personality and zero interaction beyond accepting perfunctory orders. They certainly cannot compare with the colorful... and noisy... bunch of waste wanderers from Fallout 2. In fact, none of Fallout 3's NPC's can compare personality-wise with the characters from Fallout 2. Even the "villains" were amusing and unexpected!

Overall, I do love Fallout 3, and can see myself spending hundreds of hours on it over the next few years.

Better technology = better game?

(obviously i havent played fo3 yet and im actually planning on buying it blah blah caveats.)

also, wow, its poolofpoo. been a while.

Its starting to smell like a pool of poo in here.

F3 has nothing on the greatness of the first two games. Unless your one of those who get suckered in by pretty eye candy.

I agree about the lameness of interaction of you and your followers. They're nothing but pack mules and cannon fodder. At least in F2 you could get some background info on your party members or help them in a quest.

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I wouldn't know about the BEST Fallout because I refuse to pass that kind of judgment on something I've never played...

But I can, without a doubt, state which is the WORST Fallout. Yes, worse than Star Wars Galaxies. In fact, this game is probably the worst game in the entire history of the world. It's worse than State of Emergency. It's worse than Deer Hunter 10.

FALLOUT 3

Fallout 3 is one of the most party-based MMORPGs in the market right now. Oh wait, scratch that, FO3 is one of the most party-INHIBITIVE MMORPGs in the market right now. For a game that forces you to work with other people in order to do *any* sort of progression, it sure does do a great job of making you want to kill said other people, curl up into a little ball and live the rest of your life as a hermit, isolated from the outside world, severed of all contact from the bad nasty wicked men.

The game pigeonholes you into having at least one member of one single class, multiplied by four. You can predict at least half of the composition of 90% of all parties currently active in the game. WHM/BLM/RDM/PLD. This means that all of the other classes will probably spend a large majority (hours) of their game time doing nothing but sitting in town sending tells looking for groups. Hell, even the characters who are in the

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Its starting to smell like a pool of poo in here.

F3 has nothing on the greatness of the first two games. Unless your one of those who get suckered in by pretty eye candy.

I agree about the lameness of interaction of you and your followers. They're nothing but pack mules and cannon fodder. At least in F2 you could get some background info on your party members or help them in a quest.

People have very low standards if they think FO3 is "pretty".

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Really?

I confess I don't remember (and its been a few years since I played the game) interesting interactions with any of the joinable NPCs in either Fallout game. Add that to the fact that they were either prone to running into my line of fire, or blatantly just shooting me in combat...well I can't say I've ever viewed the Fallout series as strong in party members (and this from someone who tried to take as many party members as I could have - including the forced spouse - through the entire game).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I remeber an interview with Tim Cain in which he talked about the design of Fallout. In it, he said that the point of the joinable NPCS was to provide some help through portions of the game. They were not intended to be with the pc from start to finish. The developers vision of Fallout was that of a lone wanderer in the wastes. You were supposed to begin the game alone and finish it alone. SO it is understanable that the npcs are not extactly robust in either ganeplay optrions or personality.

In Fallout 2 of course, a lot more attention was given to the NPCS of course, due to their popularity in the first game. The ramping up of the joinable NPCS was one of the biggest advancements of the second game..

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well I know there are more joinables in FO2 than FO1, but...I still don't remember them having a real personality or anything. Heck I don't even remembering getting extra quests for having them.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

How can you say that Myron had no personality?!? :lol:

or Sulik and Grampybone?...

or Marcus the supermutant?...

I think they had plenty of personality, if not incessant "party banter" BG2 style :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sulik had tons of personality. Dogmeat? Come on, folks! I haven't felt compelled to take a single NPC with me in Fallout 3. I took Dogmeat and dropped him off at home. I've helped individuals for short period. Otherwise, Fallout 3 is a loner game for me. Fallout 1 and 2 could be also, but the joinable NPCs had great personality. Even that backshooting imbecile, Ian.

How can you say that Myron had no personality?!? :huh:

or Sulik and Grampybone?...

or Marcus the supermutant?...

I think they had plenty of personality, if not incessant "party banter" BG2 style :-

Well I remember them, but other than talking to Sulik and being vaguely amused by his bone in our first chat and that Marcus talked with Worf's voice, I don't terribly remember much about the others.

Wait, was Myron the guy who was kidnapped and held prisoner?

I seriously never bothered with NPC's in FO, it was always about the solo experience, NPC's were just cannon fodder, they'd most certainly always end up dead and quickly.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Well I know there are more joinables in FO2 than FO1, but...I still don't remember them having a real personality or anything. Heck I don't even remembering getting extra quests for having them.

I've forgotten many of their names, but I remember the tribal guy who would not use a gun to save his soul... or my ass. He hated slavers and would kill you if you dealt with them. He needed help to find his sister. And the fat guy whose daughter hated him; you could bring them together. He was always whining, "Boss, XXX is looking at me!" And the drunk who was constantly muttering to himself. Then Marcus the Super Mutant sheriff was just too cool.

Those were some of my faves, and despite the fact that they were an absolute liability in any combat situation (FO2 combat sucked anyway), they were a lively, noisy bunch!

I'm doing this FO3 game alone. Dogmeat kept shooting around corridors, dragging mobs from everywhere, so it's back to the Vault for him! Fawkes? Oh, yeah, way to go, man. I'm sure looking him up after

he refuses a perfectly safe mission for him forcing someone else to certain death.

The paladin was just plain boring. So it's a lone wanderer once again!

Edited by ~Di