Which Fallout was the greatest?

Bokishi

poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fallout was the greatest?

• Fallout 1
    • Fallout 2
    • Fallout 3

I would guess that people who played Fallout 2 first would tend to like it more since it has so much more content. Even though a lot of that content is pretty goofy. Fallout 1 was a much leaner and tighter game, though still packed with stuff.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't even need to have played FO3 to know it's easily the best.

Bethesda 4eva :brows: :brows: :brows:

BETH 4EVA

Yup.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I mean, a talking radscorpion with glasses? Really? :brows:

:brows: How regularly did things like this appear in the game?

Every five minutes. It almost ruined the game.

Ouch, that does sound very over the top. I mean, I don't mind occassional humor (anybody remember the spectator beholder from Baldur's Gate II?) of the game not taking itself seriously, but if it appears too often, it would ruin the experience for me.

But didn't it irritate you? It could be funny if sparse, but if it appeared frequently, I would be pretty irritated.

In Fallout 1 there was a scattering of easter eggs and goofy moments, but they were pretty rare. It was mostly a serious, albeit dark-humored, game. Most of the original devs departed after Fallout 1 and the team that ended up doing Fallout 2 ramped up the goofiness and easter eggs to a pretty absurd degree. The game became more of a referendum on pop culture than a serious game. It still had good moments, but everything ended up being a tad exessive.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

But didn't it irritate you? It could be funny if sparse, but if it appeared frequently, I would be pretty irritated.

In Fallout 1 there was a scattering of easter eggs and goofy moments, but they were pretty rare. It was mostly a serious, albeit dark-humored, game. Most of the original devs departed after Fallout 1 and the team that ended up doing Fallout 2 ramped up the goofiness and easter eggs to a pretty absurd degree. The game became more of a referendum on pop culture than a serious game. It still had good moments, but everything ended up being a tad exessive.

I see. Well, I guess this kind of thing can happen to anything when you try to introduce too much of something that is good only when used sparingly.

Every five minutes.

I wouldn't say that... :shifty:

If you tried, I'll bet you could find some form of pop culture reference, fourth wall violation, or sheer absurdity for every five minutes of game play in Fallout 2. It probably wouldn't take five minutes.

There was a complicated and utterly confusing random encounter that was basically an inside joke about a forum one of the developers was a member of--an inside joke about a spammer they banned. It really didn't need to be there.

"I'm not dissing your take on Bethesda, mostly since I pretty much share it, at least as far as the last couple ES games go, but aren't you at all curious to see if FO3 might not in fact be a decent game?"

No.

" I mean the reaction has been pretty good, and not just from reviewers but a lot of people right here, many of whom are a rather tough lot to please."

Others' opinions don't matter to me when determining what games *I* spend my money on. I've doen the actual research, and from what I've seen FO3 is basically a Bethesda game in FO clothing. I avoided Oblivion for a reason - I don't care for Bethesda games. The only reason I'm even thinking of possibly buying FO3 when the price goes down is because I'm a brainwashed FO series fanboy. It's why I got hoodwinked into buying FOT (didn't like it), and FOBOS (which was okayish for an action game); but those weren't from developers I absolutely loathe like Bethesda so they were worth the risk despite being not true FO sequels.

As for this bashing of FO2 in this thread. That game is aweosme. It's a superior RPG than FO1, and I would take the President over the Master any day as a villain.

Vault City, and New Reno are two of the absolutely best city settings in any game ever. Nothing in FO could touch them.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I mean, a talking radscorpion with glasses? Really? :lol:

:lol: How regularly did things like this appear in the game?

Ouch, that does sound very over the top. I mean, I don't mind occassional humor (anybody remember the spectator beholder from Baldur's Gate II?) of the game not taking itself seriously, but if it appears too often, it would ruin the experience for me.

Only it wasn't a talking radscorpion. It was a lockpicking, chessmaster radscorpion. The plant in the lawn next door did the talking. Folks are blowing the issue out of proportion, I think. The game does have a lot of silliness, but it's a huge game and it's not cluttered by that. I think it's very significative that this alleged excessive cheesiness is the only fault people can find with Fallout 2. 3 is more like 1 in this regard... the over-the-top humour is almost non-existant. It goes with the tastes, I guess - I know I miss it sometimes, but some people are grateful that Beth didn't go that way.

I'm having fun with F3, but I don't think I'll be able to replay the game as many times as I have its predecessors. It's a fun RPG, but a very crappy shooter. I'm not casting a vote because it's comparing apples and oranges, anyway.

Edited by random n00b

Volourn, Fallout 3 is pretty much the antithesis of a usual Bethesda game when it comes to dialogue and questing.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I mean, a talking radscorpion with glasses? Really? :o

:ermm: How regularly did things like this appear in the game?

Only it wasn't a talking radscorpion. It was a lockpicking, chessmaster radscorpion.

:o

The plant in the lawn next door did the talking. Folks are blowing the issue out of proportion, I think. The game does have a lot of silliness, but it's a huge game and it's not cluttered by that. I think it's very significative that this alleged excessive cheesiness is the only fault people can find with Fallout 2. 3 is more like 1 in this regard... the over-the-top humour is almost non-existant. It goes with the tastes, I guess - I know I miss it sometimes, but some people are grateful that Beth didn't go that way.

Well, yes, it is a matter of taste. Personally, I can find over-the-top humor amusing if it is used sparingly.

Volourn, Fallout 3 is pretty much the antithesis of a usual Bethesda game when it comes to dialogue and questing.

Heh, he hasn't even played Oblivion. He's basing his opinion of Bethesda on games they released in the 90's, apparently.

I remember when Volourn gave Morrowind a chance. He didn't last very long.